Default Kellyanne, help me out

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:06:36 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

One of my duty stations was a transmitter site in Puerto Rico. One day
I was checking the grounding wires on utility poles on the base. One
pole had a ground wire that had broken about 5 feet above the ground.
When I touched the end remaining on the pole I got a burn in my fingers
and hand. The pole was about half a mile (maybe more) from the antenna
for a million watt ELF transmitter used for communications to submarines.

I don't think I would worry about the leakage from a 700 watt
microwave then. You are already "well done" inside ;-)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:15:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:49:24 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:30:22 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:52:25 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:27:14 -0400,

wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:13:44 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:12:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I'm OK with this one, a 1971 Monkey Wards. It is just a magnetron and
a spring wound timer. Not much to break and it gets the job done.

Just stand at least 30 feet away from it when it's running. :-)

I bet the shielding on the original ovens is better than today.
They were really afraid of microwaves in the late 60s and the regs
were pretty tight.

===

We have an older microwave oven on the boat, probably 20 years old or
more. It knocks out the WiFi network every time it's on. Our oven at
home is newer and does not usually affect the WiFi at all.

I have never had that but you have me curious. I will give it a shot
later this evening.
Have you looked at the door seals? You still seem to be saying your
oven is 27 years newer than mine, when they had become $99
disposables. I think I paid close to $300 for mine in Nixon dollars

===

It was on the boat when we bought it 13 years ago and it was not new
then, probably at least 5 to 10 years old already. I'd replace it but
it's a custom fit built-in.

Well shoot, you've got all us researchers here, what are the needed dimensions?

===

One of the critical dimensions is depth and I can't tell you that
without disassembling the cabinet. I did it once so I could reinforce
the back panel to support a television mount on the other side. It
took hours to get everything to fit back together properly.

Can you just probe around it with a piece of wire. Some real stiff
steel leader might work. My favorite is the core of an outboard
shift/throttle cable.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/14/2017 5:12 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:08:12 PM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/14/2017 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:03:26 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

I'm OK with this one, a 1971 Monkey Wards. It is just a magnetron and
a spring wound timer. Not much to break and it gets the job done.

Just stand at least 30 feet away from it when it's running. :-)

I bet the shielding on the original ovens is better than today.
They were really afraid of microwaves in the late 60s and the regs
were pretty tight.

I think you would lose the bet.

The allowable leakage spec for a microwave oven in 1969 was 10mw/cm2
Today, the leakage spec is half that ... 5mv/cm2

In 1969, 155 microwave ovens were surveyed in New York, Mississippi, New
Jersey and Massachusetts and tested for leakage. 32 percent of the
155 ovens had leakage in excess of the 10mv/cm2 standard.

It's 46 years old. I doubt it would pass the leakage test, even to the
1969-1970 standards.

I am going to try Wayne's WiFi test later this evening. I will stream
a movie on my laptop so I will be hitting it hard enough to notice.

There is a very exotic test described on the following link (Method 2)
but Wayne's test is probably just as good. Just make sure your laptop
is sitting in front of the microwave.

I've always been concerned with all the electromagnetic energy we are
exposed to everyday from things like microwaves and especially cell
phones that you hold up to your head when using. You are within the
"near field" (max energy strength) on a cell phone and I just don't
believe that long term exposure is harmless. Texting is probably much
safer.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Microwave-for-Leaks

Growing up I remember hearing the local radio station on our telephone.
Ma Bell finally cleaned it up after a while, but then in high school I
worked with the Chief Engineer at that station in his backyard
electronics shop. He told me that in the field out behind the antenna
he'd measured nearly a volt of signal strength in the air. It was only
5000 watts AM, 3000 FM.

I worked there as a DJ my senior year of high school. Yes, it was fun.

One of my duty stations was a transmitter site in Puerto Rico. One day
I was checking the grounding wires on utility poles on the base. One
pole had a ground wire that had broken about 5 feet above the ground.
When I touched the end remaining on the pole I got a burn in my fingers
and hand. The pole was about half a mile (maybe more) from the antenna
for a million watt ELF transmitter used for communications to submarines.

When I was at Keesler AFB for tech school, they ran the search radar on low
power and pointed skyward. We were at least 3/4 mile from the antenna.
Big investigation as to how the antenna got rearmed lower after a couple
people in the barracks complained available up the fluorescent desk lamp
blinking.

On 3/14/2017 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:03:26 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When were you in Puerto Rico? I went to 3-5th grades at Ramey Air Force Base with the B-36s rumbling
all the time.

I think it was from 1973 to 1975. Transmitter site was in Ponce, on the
south side of the island.

That was about 20 years after we were there. Ponce rings a bell, so we must have gone there for
something. We lived for the first year or so in Isabella, on the northwestern end of the island.
Then we got quarters on base.

wrote:
I heard you say my microwave was spying on me but I can't find the
camera or the microphone. Where are they? I want to disable them.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/microwave.jpg

Try looking in Poco, Bill, or Justin's ass. I'm sure it's familiar
territory!