Default Kellyanne, help me out

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:12:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I'm OK with this one, a 1971 Monkey Wards. It is just a magnetron and
a spring wound timer. Not much to break and it gets the job done.

Just stand at least 30 feet away from it when it's running. :-)

I bet the shielding on the original ovens is better than today.
They were really afraid of microwaves in the late 60s and the regs
were pretty tight.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:22:16 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I am trying to shame the ultimate luddite of rec.boats (Greg) into
springing for a new microwave. After all, he needs to be spied upon too.

Until I see a reason, why? This is lightning country. Why add an extra
level of electronics to an appliance that has no need for it?

On 3/14/2017 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:03:26 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

I'm OK with this one, a 1971 Monkey Wards. It is just a magnetron and
a spring wound timer. Not much to break and it gets the job done.

Just stand at least 30 feet away from it when it's running. :-)

I bet the shielding on the original ovens is better than today.
They were really afraid of microwaves in the late 60s and the regs
were pretty tight.

I think you would lose the bet.

The allowable leakage spec for a microwave oven in 1969 was 10mw/cm2
Today, the leakage spec is half that ... 5mv/cm2

In 1969, 155 microwave ovens were surveyed in New York, Mississippi, New
Jersey and Massachusetts and tested for leakage. 32 percent of the
155 ovens had leakage in excess of the 10mv/cm2 standard.

It's 46 years old. I doubt it would pass the leakage test, even to the
1969-1970 standards.

I am going to try Wayne's WiFi test later this evening. I will stream
a movie on my laptop so I will be hitting it hard enough to notice.

There is a very exotic test described on the following link (Method 2)
but Wayne's test is probably just as good. Just make sure your laptop
is sitting in front of the microwave.

I've always been concerned with all the electromagnetic energy we are
exposed to everyday from things like microwaves and especially cell
phones that you hold up to your head when using. You are within the
"near field" (max energy strength) on a cell phone and I just don't
believe that long term exposure is harmless. Texting is probably much
safer.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Microwave-for-Leaks

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 16:08:05 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/14/2017 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 15:03:26 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I seldom even turn my phone on and I am not standing there staring
into the microwave when it runs. The inverse square law is probably
the best defense, even if it does leak.