JimL

Default Can I change my Merc outboard to a jet pump?

Just to name two disadvantages. :^) Their main advantage, if
it's what you want/need is the shallow water capability.

-JimL

Florida Keyz wrote:
major fuel use increase, and hp loss. Guess you know that

JimL

Mosey,

Finally found the page I was looking for. You might want to check
out http://www.smalloutboards.com/j30ljet.htm

They have some early 90's Johnson 30hp outboard motors with jets
for $995 and if you buy a spare jet pump when you buy the motor,
it's $175 extra. Color choices are ugly green or grey. :^) I have
never dealt with these folks, but ran across this site a while back.
I suspect that by the time you converted your motor or traded in on
a jet drive, it would probably cost you at least that much if not
more. Besides, going this route, you could find out if it's what you
really want, and if it isn't, you could always sell the motor without
much loss.

-JimL

mosey wrote:
I have a new 40 hp Mercury outboard on my 15 ft. aluminum center console.
If I had known the versatility of jet pumps I would have bought one, but now
having the new boat and motor wonder if it's cost effective, or even
possible to purchase a kit to change my prop motor over to a pump. Anyone
have experience with this?

TIA
Mosey

Gfretwell

Just to name two disadvantages. :^) Their main advantage, if
it's what you want/need is the shallow water capability.

I saw a lot of these in Alaska. The guys said they do it because of rocks. Even
at idle speed a prop won't survive a kiss with a rock. The jet bounces off, up
until the speed that blunt force becomes an issue.
NetSock

Two more advantages...

Inexpensive. Less that half the cost of an equivalent out-drive.

Simplicity. Two moving parts. No gears, shafts, u-joints, bellows, etc.

--
It's just about going fast...that's all...

http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Florida Keyz wrote:
major fuel use increase, and hp loss. Guess you know that

Calif Bill

The discussion is on Outboard jets, not inboard. As to fuel consumption, I
run a 3200# aluminum jetboat with a 351W driving the Kodiak pump. About
1.5-2 mpg. Not much worse than prop driven boat. Maybe 85% efficient. Top
speed is less, I run about 39 mph at 4400 rpm. Prop would probably be in
the 48-50 mph range.
The O/B jets do have a gear drive to the pump that is in the foot of the
leg.

Bill

Florida Keyz wrote:
major fuel use increase, and hp loss. Guess you know that

Merc 7.5 outboard: I canna get the lower unit off,.. ROBMURR General 2 September 6th 03 11:39 PM
Priming areator pump JTC General 0 August 8th 03 03:26 AM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Merc outboard leaks oil Ty General 0 July 24th 03 09:05 PM
1985 Merc outboard Help! Jason General 7 July 13th 03 07:59 PM