mosey

Default Can I change my Merc outboard to a jet pump?

I have a new 40 hp Mercury outboard on my 15 ft. aluminum center console.
If I had known the versatility of jet pumps I would have bought one, but now
having the new boat and motor wonder if it's cost effective, or even
possible to purchase a kit to change my prop motor over to a pump. Anyone
have experience with this?

TIA
Mosey

Lawrence James

I saw jet replacement lower units somewhere but don't remember what sizes
they were. At least I can tell you they exist. I'd be a little skeptical
about 40 hp being big enough. Jets take more hp than props to move the same
size boat at the same speed.
"mosey" wrote in message
.. .
I have a new 40 hp Mercury outboard on my 15 ft. aluminum center console.
If I had known the versatility of jet pumps I would have bought one, but

now
having the new boat and motor wonder if it's cost effective, or even
possible to purchase a kit to change my prop motor over to a pump. Anyone
have experience with this?

TIA
Mosey

Jack Rye

Sorry about that. The rest of the post vanished.
Mercury Dealers will buy back your old engine and give you a deal on a new
40hp jet. Even if you bought your outboard over the internet. And are
planning to buy the Jet over the net. Most people don't realize that
dealers like having used engines to sell. Used outboards keep there value.
Customers are always buying used engines and boats that are traded in just
like cars.

Jack
"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message
Mercury builds out board jets. Starting with a 20hp, 40hp, 65hp, and

ending
with 80hp. You can see them all at. http://www.mercurymarine.com

Jack
"mosey" wrote in message
.. .
I have a new 40 hp Mercury outboard on my 15 ft. aluminum center

console.
If I had known the versatility of jet pumps I would have bought one, but

now
having the new boat and motor wonder if it's cost effective, or even
possible to purchase a kit to change my prop motor over to a pump.

Anyone
have experience with this?

TIA
Mosey

Tony Thomas

Merc does make a jet lower unit for your motor. Don't know that it will be
cost effective to change. Plus the added fuel use and less efficient.
I personally would not do it. Raise your motor as high on the transom as
possible. You can tear up a lot of props for the cost of the swap.
Especially if you buy them off ebay or get one of the composite props and
just swap blades.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"mosey" wrote in message
.. .
I have a new 40 hp Mercury outboard on my 15 ft. aluminum center console.
If I had known the versatility of jet pumps I would have bought one, but

now
having the new boat and motor wonder if it's cost effective, or even
possible to purchase a kit to change my prop motor over to a pump. Anyone
have experience with this?

TIA
Mosey

Calif Bill

All the legs for the O/B's are made by "Jet Drive Specialty Manufacturing"
in San Leandro, Calif. There is a used one for an 80 HP in the latest
Western Outdoor news for $1000.

"mosey" wrote in message
.. .
I have a new 40 hp Mercury outboard on my 15 ft. aluminum center console.
If I had known the versatility of jet pumps I would have bought one, but

now
having the new boat and motor wonder if it's cost effective, or even
possible to purchase a kit to change my prop motor over to a pump. Anyone
have experience with this?

TIA
Mosey

JimL

Mosey,

Here's a page with some info on jets if you're interested. Covers
pros, cons and maintenance.

http://www.scottandjenn.com/outboardjet/

-JimL

Florida Keyz

major fuel use increase, and hp loss. Guess you know that

Merc 7.5 outboard: I canna get the lower unit off,.. ROBMURR General 2 September 6th 03 11:39 PM
Priming areator pump JTC General 0 August 8th 03 03:26 AM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Merc outboard leaks oil Ty General 0 July 24th 03 09:05 PM
1985 Merc outboard Help! Jason General 7 July 13th 03 07:59 PM