Default Depressing

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/7/17 7:03 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 17:46:50 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/7/17 4:33 PM,
wrote:

I did kind of remember it because when IBM asked me what my salary
expectations were, I gave them my monthly pay as what I wanted a week
($100) and that is what I got. ($430/mo) It turned out they got me
cheap (other guys started at $475) but that was a good thing for me
because I got a lot of early raises. ;-)
My boss would call me in every few months and throw another $20 or $30
at me. I felt like a millionaire.

I made about $110 a week when I started as a "cub reporter" summer
intern for the KC Star. This was in the mid-1960s. In those days, you
could get a decent steak dinner at a "family restaurant" for about
$3.00, and a first-class breakfast for 99 cents. Really. Best of all,
several nights a week the city editor sent me out on assignment to cover
someone making speech at some dinner, and, of course, the reporter from
The Star got to eat there, too. Sometimes I worked at the cop shop,
police headquarters, and got to joke around with Clarence Kelly, the
chief, who later became head of the FBI.

Ate a lot of chicken dinners. At the end of that summer, I decided to
finish up my senior year of college (I had already completed almost all
the courses I need for graduation) and keep the night job at The Star.
Got a $25 a week raise. So I'd drive to KC to arrive at the paper at 4
pm and I'd drive back to the campus at 1 am. Did that five days a week.
It really was a terrific job. When I finished my writing assignments for
the night, I'd volunteer to copy read for a couple of hours on the wire
desk or fill in wherever help was needed. The last year I was at the
paper, the world news editor decided to take a year of vacation and I
was "promoted" on temporary basis to fill in for him.

My guilty indulgence was a HoJo short stack with coffee for 99 cents.
There was one right near the beltway at 355 and I would stop there
first thing in the morning, use their phone to call dispatch and if I
didn't have a call I would get cakes and coffee before going somewhere
else.
I had the habit from High School when I would stop at the coffee shop
at 8th and M SE for coffee and 2 doughnuts before I got on the street
car to go up town to school. That was 30 cents or something. (1960-4)
If I didn't do that I would grab a couple of Little Tavern burgers at
17th and Pa NW on the way to school. There used to be a tunnel through
the building right next to Little Tavern that came out on G street.

The 99 cents place was called Nichols. It closed about 10 years ago. For
99 cents you got steak, eggs, potatoes and toast. Coffee was another
buck...that's how they managed to break even. It was open all night.

Expensive. We use to get steak and 3 eggs and coffee for $1.25 in Petaluma
on our way to Cotati raceway. Working nights in San Francisco was a place
at Ellis and Taylor where the pork chop dinner special was $1.75 in
1966-1968. Salad, meat, potato, veggie and jello or rice pudding desert.
Do not remember if coffee was extra. Was still probably only $0.25-50.

wrote:

[...]

There was a place in Fairfax Village, right on the DC line where Pa Av
crosses that had a dollar steak dinner in the early 50s but that is
the last one I knew of. It was a real steak tho (rib eye), not just a
slice of mystery beef with 2 vegetables and a drink.
Food always seemed to be expensive in DC. I know the first time I went
to New York City as an adult, I was shocked at how cheaply you could
eat. Of course you could also find places that were ridiculously
expensive less than a block away. A number of the times I was there I
would stay in Elizabeth and take the train in. It was across the
street from the motel I stayed in and it came up in the same building
as IBM (Penn Plaza), No walking in the rain, snow or cold. It was also
very cheap compared to the city so I did great on our per diem.

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 17:46:50 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 2/7/17 4:33 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 15:25:13 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 19:50:15 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 07:50:59 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 18:56:29 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 13:47:49 -0500, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 16:29:40 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 06:44:29 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

Poco Deplorevole
"Too late. I called my bro, conceded, and crashed. Should have stayed up. Unreal.

At halftime they showed the most points down that had ever been overcome
to win. Three times teams
had come back after being 10 points down. None had come from more than a
10 point deficit. At the 25
point deficit mark I chalked up the loss. Called the bank, had the
checkbook on the desk, ready to
write the check in the morning.

I got up and my wife had left me a note: "Patriots Won. Jim is sending check."

I guess he forgot that I'd conceded. Or maybe he thought I'd demand a
recount anyway. Who knows.

I should get the money any day now. Can't wait. Don't know what I'll buy with it.

All of $2.00."

WOW! You're quite the big time operator.
It would cost at least $2 to write and mail a cheque up here. Almost
that much to send the money by etransfer.

I would just send one of these
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/2%20dollar%20bills.jpg

Just like my buddy who passed away couple years ago. He always used $2
bills.

Back in the 60's the air force base at which my dad was stationed
would pay the airmen in $2
bills...their whole check. Of course the checks weren't as big back
then. The purpose was to show
the communities how much money the military was spending on the local
economy. The idea was pretty
good for a few months after that payday all one would see was $2 bills everywhere.

Don't know if other military installations did that or not.

Pax River talked about it but the payroll was just too big and I think
they do a lot of direct deposit anyway.

Whiteman AFB was pretty good sized, but I don't know how big,
comparatively speaking. It was a B-47
base back then. Had a great photo shop and hobby shop which is where I
spent most of my summer days
when not working.

I was talking about "big" in the number of two dollar bills it would
take. Back in the olden days the average enlisted salary was $100 or
so. That is about what I was making as an E-3 in 1965 before my pro
pay and sea pay.

Maybe a $100 after extras. Seems like I made about $75 as an E-3 in
1965-66

I must have been thinking of take home pay. When I was drafted, June of '65, the base pay for E-1
was $83.20. I believe my take home was about $72.

https://www.navycs.com/charts/1964-m...pay-chart.html

(Ain't the internet great?)

I guess my memory is not as bad as I thought. ;-)

[...]

6th.

That's, I believe, the 6th time we've seen that story.

Your arm must be getting sore.

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 19:59:02 -0500, Alex wrote:

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:58:28 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/5/2017 9:14 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 19:49:53 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 2/5/2017 7:45 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 19:34:34 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

enough said.
I'm losing. ****.

Something's wrong with Tom Brady. He looks tired. It's like he's just
going through the motions as best he can.

I just called my bro and conceded. Maybe tomorrow I'll ask for a recount. Right now it's bed time.

Not so fast!
Too late. I called my bro, conceded, and crashed. Should have stayed up. Unreal.

At halftime they showed the most points down that had ever been overcome to win. Three times teams
had come back after being 10 points down. None had come from more than a 10 point deficit. At the 25
point deficit mark I chalked up the loss. Called the bank, had the checkbook on the desk, ready to
write the check in the morning.

I got up and my wife had left me a note: "Patriots Won. Jim is sending check."

I guess he forgot that I'd conceded. Or maybe he thought I'd demand a recount anyway. Who knows.

I should get the money any day now. Can't wait. Don't know what I'll buy with it.

All of $2.00.

That's funny! All of my bets with my friends are for $2.00!

Well see! There you go. You know how exuberant I am waiting for all that money to arrive. Actually I
was hoping to lose, 'cause I wanted to send him the $2 bill. The last time I won from him he sent
the two $1 bills glued together like a cross. They're still in the desk somewhere.

Better than 200 pennies!

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking 'big' in numbers of people, or numbers of bills. That pay of yours sounds about
right. I started at $72/month.

Now you are just upper-middle class making the equivalent of $72 per hour!

True North wrote:
Poco Deplorevole
"I must have been thinking of take home pay. When I was drafted, June of '65, the base pay for E-1
was $83.20. I believe my take home was about $72.

https://www.navycs.com/charts/1964-m...pay-chart.html

(Ain't the internet great?)"

.....and probably grossly overpaid at that!

What was the purpose of that post? Instigate? Agitate? Demonstrate
your jealousy?