BoatBanter.com

-   -   VHF vs CB Antenna? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/173083-re-vhf-vs-cb-antenna.html)

[email protected] January 17th 17 02:45 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On Monday, September 25, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, MikeT1946 wrote:
I just bought a boat that had been equipped with Loran, VHF, and Citizen's
Band (CB). The former owner kept the CB. So I now have 3 antennas, and 2
things to hook them up to.

The question is, can I hook the VHF up to what had been used as the CB
antenna? They're both white plastic whip antennas, and I have no idea
whether they're electronically different in any way or not.

Radio experts? Thanks...

-- Mike

Mr. Luddite January 17th 17 02:47 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On 1/16/2017 9:45 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, MikeT1946 wrote:
I just bought a boat that had been equipped with Loran, VHF, and Citizen's
Band (CB). The former owner kept the CB. So I now have 3 antennas, and 2
things to hook them up to.

The question is, can I hook the VHF up to what had been used as the CB
antenna? They're both white plastic whip antennas, and I have no idea
whether they're electronically different in any way or not.

Radio experts? Thanks...

-- Mike

Wow. 1995. Back when rec.boats was about boats.

[email protected] January 17th 17 03:48 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 21:47:18 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/16/2017 9:45 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, MikeT1946 wrote:
I just bought a boat that had been equipped with Loran, VHF, and Citizen's
Band (CB). The former owner kept the CB. So I now have 3 antennas, and 2
things to hook them up to.

The question is, can I hook the VHF up to what had been used as the CB
antenna? They're both white plastic whip antennas, and I have no idea
whether they're electronically different in any way or not.

Radio experts? Thanks...

-- Mike

Wow. 1995. Back when rec.boats was about boats.

Somebody been poking around in the google groups again?

Tim January 17th 17 04:18 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

wrote:

On 1/16/2017 9:45 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, MikeT1946 wrote:
I just bought a boat that had been equipped with Loran, VHF, and Citizen's
Band (CB). The former owner kept the CB. So I now have 3 antennas, and 2
things to hook them up to.

The question is, can I hook the VHF up to what had been used as the CB
antenna? They're both white plastic whip antennas, and I have no idea
whether they're electronically different in any way or not.

Radio experts? Thanks...

-- Mike

Wow. 1995. Back when rec.boats was about boats.

Somebody been poking around in the google groups again?

Not me but I will if you want. LOL

[email protected] January 17th 17 04:41 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

wrote:

On 1/16/2017 9:45 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, MikeT1946 wrote:
I just bought a boat that had been equipped with Loran, VHF, and Citizen's
Band (CB). The former owner kept the CB. So I now have 3 antennas, and 2
things to hook them up to.

The question is, can I hook the VHF up to what had been used as the CB
antenna? They're both white plastic whip antennas, and I have no idea
whether they're electronically different in any way or not.

Radio experts? Thanks...

-- Mike

Wow. 1995. Back when rec.boats was about boats.

Somebody been poking around in the google groups again?

Not me but I will if you want. LOL

That seems to be where these 22 year old posts come from
Over on the home repair group the homeowner web seems to be famous for
it.

[email protected] November 27th 18 10:22 PM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

I have a uniden CB radio (new) and have an existing larsen wb vhf radio already on my truck. Will this antenna work with my new radio.
Derek

Mr. Luddite[_4_] November 27th 18 10:47 PM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On 11/27/2018 5:22 PM, wrote:

I have a uniden CB radio (new) and have an existing larsen wb vhf radio already on my truck. Will this antenna work with my new radio.
Derek

Can't determine without knowing what freq range the truck antenna is
"cut" for. There are two VHF bands, low-band VHF (49-108 MHz),
high-band VHF (169-216 MHz). Marine radios operate in the high band.

Generally it will receive ok but transmit range may be limited due to
high standing wave ratio (SWR).

Even a marine VHF antenna should be tweaked in terms of length to
minimize SWR in the middle of the radio's freq range.

Tim November 27th 18 11:20 PM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 4:47:49 PM UTC-6, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/27/2018 5:22 PM, wrote:

I have a uniden CB radio (new) and have an existing larsen wb vhf radio already on my truck. Will this antenna work with my new radio.
Derek

Can't determine without knowing what freq range the truck antenna is
"cut" for. There are two VHF bands, low-band VHF (49-108 MHz),
high-band VHF (169-216 MHz). Marine radios operate in the high band.

Generally it will receive ok but transmit range may be limited due to
high standing wave ratio (SWR).

Even a marine VHF antenna should be tweaked in terms of length to
minimize SWR in the middle of the radio's freq range.

I remember in the 'craze' the SWR meter was pretty popular, where you could tune a potentiometer to match the antennae to the radio for maximum efficiency.

[email protected] November 28th 18 12:23 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 14:22:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a uniden CB radio (new) and have an existing larsen wb vhf radio already on my truck. Will this antenna work with my new radio.
Derek

Short answer, no. They are tuned for entirely different frequencies.
The receiver might work but you are really stressing the transmitter.
Children's band antennas should be cheap, especially if you can find a
used one. My guess, most got thrown out with the leisure suits and
bell bottoms.
Try Ebay

[email protected] November 28th 18 12:36 AM

VHF vs CB Antenna?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 17:47:44 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 11/27/2018 5:22 PM, wrote:

I have a uniden CB radio (new) and have an existing larsen wb vhf radio already on my truck. Will this antenna work with my new radio.
Derek

Can't determine without knowing what freq range the truck antenna is
"cut" for. There are two VHF bands, low-band VHF (49-108 MHz),
high-band VHF (169-216 MHz). Marine radios operate in the high band.

Generally it will receive ok but transmit range may be limited due to
high standing wave ratio (SWR).

Even a marine VHF antenna should be tweaked in terms of length to
minimize SWR in the middle of the radio's freq range.

He is talking about CB (27mz) so that is over twice the wavelength of
the lowest frequency VHF.
SWR is really going to be ugly but since they are capped at 5w,
(usually more like 4.5) I doubt the magic smoke comes out but he won't
be "getting out" far either.

If his "truck" is a real one (breaker good buddy size) and he has 8-9'
from mirror to mirror the best antenna is the co phasers you see on
big rigs. Otherwise it is hard to beat a bottom coil loaded ~48"
antenna right in the center of the roof. That is what I had on my van
but you had to remember to take off the vertical when you went into a
parking garage. ;-)