Default Caution, Boating Content Follows

One of the more dangerous areas of the US east coast is the New Jersey
shore, particularly Manasquan inlet and Barnegat inlet. Both are
directly exposed to open ocean and prevailing easterly storm swells.
And both have relatively shallow water which causes the swells to lump
up and form steep breaking seas. Unless you have personally
experienced these conditions, or seen videos of them, it is hard to
imagine how a large seaworthy boat could get into trouble so quickly.

Here's a great video filmed many years ago that has become sort of a
classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZPgHWuuQg

justan wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 00:03:51 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 23:52:01 -0500,

wrote:

One of the more dangerous areas of the US east coast is the New Jersey
shore, particularly Manasquan inlet and Barnegat inlet. Both are
directly exposed to open ocean and prevailing easterly storm swells.
And both have relatively shallow water which causes the swells to lump
up and form steep breaking seas. Unless you have personally
experienced these conditions, or seen videos of them, it is hard to
imagine how a large seaworthy boat could get into trouble so quickly.

Here's a great video filmed many years ago that has become sort of a
classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZPgHWuuQg

There are some folks in Alaska who might argue with that but I agree,
the Jersey shore can be an exciting boat ride.

===

There are some very dicey inlets on the west coast, also on the Outer
Banks and the east coast of Florida. Manasquan has been improved
somewhat since that video was filmed but boats still get into trouble
there by being broached out of the channel or into the rocks -
Barnegat also. We have a full length keel under our Grand Banks which
helps to maintain directional stability but it still skids around a
bit on the front of a wave.

You should not be surfing with your boat. :-)

Maybe, maybe not. There is a group out here who surf small aluminum boats
at Mavericks Break. Not on the biggest sets, but I still think they are
nuts.