Default Ping: Greg

My oldest grandson is in his 6th week of US Coast Guard boot camp. He
just called home with news of his first duty station:

http://navaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/USCGC-Tahoma-Back-in-Portsmouth-Homeport.jpg

Tim Tim is offline

Oh yeah!!!

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:14:53 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

My oldest grandson is in his 6th week of US Coast Guard boot camp. He
just called home with news of his first duty station:

http://navaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/USCGC-Tahoma-Back-in-Portsmouth-Homeport.jpg

Way cool. That is a step up from my first cutter

https://www.semperparatus.com/images...o_jan1967..jpg

"Charley" (weather station) in Nov Dec 65 was fun ;-)
What is he planning on doing? I went to school before I went to sea.

wrote:

My oldest grandson is in his 6th week of US Coast Guard boot camp. He
just called home with news of his first duty station:

http://navaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/USCGC-Tahoma-Back-in-Portsmouth-Homeport.jpg

Way cool. That is a step up from my first cutter

https://www.semperparatus.com/images...o_jan1967..jpg

"Charley" (weather station) in Nov Dec 65 was fun ;-)
What is he planning on doing? I went to school before I went to sea.

Things have changed in the Coast Guard. You now qualify for schools
before signing up but you have to spend about a year at a duty station
after boot camp before attending the schools. He will be going to an
electrical type school (forget which one exactly) but I think it is
similar to the Navy's "EM" or "electrician's mate" school. Whoops. I
guess it must now be "electrician's person" school.

wrote:

My oldest grandson is in his 6th week of US Coast Guard boot camp. He
just called home with news of his first duty station:

http://navaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/USCGC-Tahoma-Back-in-Portsmouth-Homeport.jpg

Way cool. That is a step up from my first cutter

https://www.semperparatus.com/images...o_jan1967..jpg

"Charley" (weather station) in Nov Dec 65 was fun ;-)
What is he planning on doing? I went to school before I went to sea.

Things have changed in the Coast Guard. You now qualify for schools
before signing up but you have to spend about a year at a duty station
after boot camp before attending the schools. He will be going to an
electrical type school (forget which one exactly) but I think it is
similar to the Navy's "EM" or "electrician's mate" school. Whoops. I
guess it must now be "electrician's person" school.

When I was there it WAS a navy school. I was an FT or FTG in navy
terms (guns). (Bainbridge NTC) The CG did not have missiles. That
cutter does have a 5"54 automated mount. We had the old WWII era 5"38.
(Hydraulic) manual loading.

Senior Member

Location: Michigan

Congratulations on your Grandsons career choice.
__________________
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

On 11/18/2016 10:40 PM, RGrew176 wrote:

Congratulations on your Grandsons career choice.

Don't know if it will be a career, but he was brought up (like many of
us) that at some point in your life it is an honorable thing to do to
do something to serve your country. Old school philosophy that I am
pleased was passed on to my kids and now to their kids. Four years is
a very short period of time and the experience and maturity gained is
well worth it, especially for a 19 year old. Sure beats sitting around
on some high school or college campus participating in a "cry-in"
because your liberal teachers or professors encouraged you to do so
after their political candidate got whooped.

Tim Tim is offline

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 7:03:40 AM UTC-6, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/18/2016 10:40 PM, RGrew176 wrote:

Congratulations on your Grandsons career choice.

Don't know if it will be a career, but he was brought up (like many of
us) that at some point in your life it is an honorable thing to do to
do something to serve your country. Old school philosophy that I am
pleased was passed on to my kids and now to their kids. Four years is
a very short period of time and the experience and maturity gained is
well worth it, especially for a 19 year old. Sure beats sitting around
on some high school or college campus participating in a "cry-in"
because your liberal teachers or professors encouraged you to do so
after their political candidate got whooped.

Thats what i felt as well as several cousins nephews and even two great-nephews.

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 07:11:24 -0600, Boating All Out
wrote:

Sure beats sitting around
on some high school or college campus participating in a "cry-in"
because your liberal teachers or professors encouraged you to do so
after their political candidate got whooped.

Some local election?

Still in denial? ... or are you one of those people holding out for 30
faithless electors?

Ping: Greg Mr. Luddite General 3 February 3rd 16 05:11 PM
Ping: Wayne, Greg Eagle Cam Mr. Luddite General 1 February 8th 15 05:51 PM
Ping: Greg Wayne.B General 5 January 31st 15 11:31 PM
Yo Greg! John H.[_5_] General 13 May 4th 12 01:35 AM