Tim Tim is offline

Default Hey Greg- About the Manatee mating season.

12:46
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 20:05:44 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 9:22:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 18:43:45 -0700 (PDT), Tim

Not really, this is more like wild hogs tearing up your garden. They
rip every shred every living thing off the bottom. Bye bye to
everything that lives in that grass

----
Man, that sucks. Doesn't sound so "Eco-friendly"

Hmmm

wrote:

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 9:22:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 18:43:45 -0700 (PDT), Tim

Not really, this is more like wild hogs tearing up your garden. They
rip every shred every living thing off the bottom. Bye bye to
everything that lives in that grass

----
Man, that sucks. Doesn't sound so "Eco-friendly"

Hmmm

The ecologically sound thing would be to cool the power plant water
more before it is discharged so the manatees would resume their
natural migration patterns but that is blasphemy to the huggers. In
fact they sued the PoCo, forcing them to artificially heat the
discharge water for the manatees when we replaced the bunker oil plant
with a more efficient natural gas plant. So much for that extra
efficiency.
Tim Tim is offline

The ecologically sound thing would be to cool the power plant water
more before it is discharged so the manatees would resume their
natural migration patterns but that is blasphemy to the huggers. In
fact they sued the PoCo, forcing them to artificially heat the
discharge water for the manatees when we replaced the bunker oil plant
with a more efficient natural gas plant. So much for that extra
efficiency.
----

Not only so but raising the cost to the consumer to keep them hanging around.

As a publicly regulated utility doesn't this foolishness have to come to a vote first?

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 09:49:18 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

The ecologically sound thing would be to cool the power plant water
more before it is discharged so the manatees would resume their
natural migration patterns but that is blasphemy to the huggers. In
fact they sued the PoCo, forcing them to artificially heat the
discharge water for the manatees when we replaced the bunker oil plant
with a more efficient natural gas plant. So much for that extra
efficiency.
----

Not only so but raising the cost to the consumer to keep them hanging around.

As a publicly regulated utility doesn't this foolishness have to come to a vote first?

Evidently not. Manatees have more rights than consumers.
Tim Tim is offline

As a publicly regulated utility doesn't this foolishness have to come to a vote first?

Evidently not. Manatees have more rights than consumers.
---

Seems that's the coming way to be...

wrote:

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 9:22:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 18:43:45 -0700 (PDT), Tim

Not really, this is more like wild hogs tearing up your garden. They
rip every shred every living thing off the bottom. Bye bye to
everything that lives in that grass

----
Man, that sucks. Doesn't sound so "Eco-friendly"

Hmmm

"The ecologically sound thing would be to cool the power plant water
more before it is discharged so the manatees would resume their
natural migration patterns but that is blasphemy to the huggers. In
fact they sued the PoCo, forcing them to artificially heat the
discharge water for the manatees when we replaced the bunker oil plant
with a more efficient natural gas plant. So much for that extra
efficiency."

1:49 PM

That does sound silly but now that you Florida boys have conditioned the poor creatures to expect warm comfy water you can't just pull the rug out from under them.
Maybe lowering the water a degree of two per year over a ten year period might solve the problem.

wrote:

[...]

It is not likely to happen. The manatee huggers have convinced the
world that manatees are a native species here, with fossils dating
back thousands of years, in spite of the fact that the power plant has
only been here 58 years and they could not survive in the winter
without it. All we really know is they may have migrated in and out
but it is clear they were never supposed to be here year round. I also
doubt this area ever supported the population we have now, even in the
summer.

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you can convince Trump to deport these anchor baby manatees and
build a wall to keep out new refugee manatees.
Tim Tim is offline

back thousands of years, in spite of the fact that the power plant has
only been here 58 years and they could not survive in the winter
without it. All we really know is they may have migrated in and out
but it is clear they were never supposed to be here year round. I also
doubt this area ever supported the population we have now, even in the
summer.
-----

In other words, they found a good thing and moved in and convinced some folks they belonged there anyhow.

Manatee squatters? Lol

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 14:25:33 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

back thousands of years, in spite of the fact that the power plant has
only been here 58 years and they could not survive in the winter
without it. All we really know is they may have migrated in and out
but it is clear they were never supposed to be here year round. I also
doubt this area ever supported the population we have now, even in the
summer.
-----

In other words, they found a good thing and moved in and convinced some folks they belonged there anyhow.

Manatee squatters? Lol

The real problem is the location of the power plant. If this was just
in some quiet backwater it would not be that big a deal but it is in
the Okeechobee water way, the only east/west route across Florida. It
is not shocking that they get hit by boats. They do not have any
respect for them and they will swim right at you.
Speed is not really an issue although that is what they use for
"protection" schemes. I have hit a couple and I was always goring
idle speed at the time. Actually one of them hit me. The silly SOB
smacked right into my beam as I was going by. When he spooked, he
jumped toward me, not away.
The other one swam up behind my boat, trying to drink out of the pee
stream on my motor when I was backing out of the slip. It was just
dumb luck that I hit him with the pontoon and not the prop. The
sombitch still would not move out of the way, even after I bumped him.