Default Serious Annoyance...

Four calls so far this week from Sirius XM asking why I haven't
initialized my three month trial. "Because I'm not interested, that's why."

This is a big time FM radio market, with lots of commercial free
stations, including some that play the music I prefer, and if I hit the
road for a trip out of this market, I, like everyone else, have a
portable device that holds many gigs of the music I like.

I took the three months and they harassed me for a bit and then yearly to sign up. I usually get a 3 week free trial in June but the dummies don't notify me until a week is already gone. Anyway, after told them I really only spend any time in the Highlander for 6 months of the year and that's all I'd pay for, they now leave me alone.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 09:03:50 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

I took the three months and they harassed me for a bit and then yearly to sign up. I usually get a 3 week free trial in June but the dummies don't notify me until a week is already gone. Anyway, after told them I really only spend any time in the Highlander for 6 months of the year and that's all I'd pay for, they now leave me alone.

My wife will take the promo offer and then she cancels when the rate
goes up. We are "off" now and I get a solicitation in the mail about
once a week. When they make her an offer she can't refuse she will
turn it on again I imagine. She does use I-Heart radio on her phone
and blue tooths it up to the sound system in the car. I am just an MP3
guy. The Blaupunct in the Honda will read a SD card, a thumb stick and
a "data" CD/DVD so I have 3 different play lists selectable at the
push of a button.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:52:44 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Four calls so far this week from Sirius XM asking why I haven't
initialized my three month trial. "Because I'm not interested, that's why."

This is a big time FM radio market, with lots of commercial free
stations, including some that play the music I prefer, and if I hit the
road for a trip out of this market, I, like everyone else, have a
portable device that holds many gigs of the music I like.

I haven't listened to the radio in about 16-17 years.
I do get XM/S bundled in with my satellite TV package and we turn it
on occasionally.

BTW what stations in DC are commercial free? NPR?

wrote:

Four calls so far this week from Sirius XM asking why I haven't
initialized my three month trial. "Because I'm not interested, that's why."

This is a big time FM radio market, with lots of commercial free
stations, including some that play the music I prefer, and if I hit the
road for a trip out of this market, I, like everyone else, have a
portable device that holds many gigs of the music I like.

I haven't listened to the radio in about 16-17 years.
I do get XM/S bundled in with my satellite TV package and we turn it
on occasionally.

BTW what stations in DC are commercial free? NPR?

WAMU, WETA, and a station out of Bal'mer are the ones I listen to...

WETA must have upped their power if you are getting it in Calvert
County. When I was there they were one of the stations you only got
well at night.

Part of the problem here is there is not much on the radio. 34 years
ago when we were scouting out the area, driving down from St Pete,
Judy said "what happened to the radio" because it pretty much stopped
when we went by Venice. They don't seem to have a lot of power.
We used to have a couple of good local talk shows and the music
stations were all local. About 25-30 years ago the PC based radio
station started and now it all seems to be coming in on a national
feed.
We had a radio station ("The Gator") in the same building as our IBM
office and I got to know the manager fairly well.
One day he took me up there to show me his new, favorite "DJ". It was
an IBM PC/AT, sitting there humming away. They still have a few local
personalities but the music is usually preprogrammed and all the DJs
do is a little filler between songs and read the local spots. Most of
that is pre recorded too.
The commercials are oppressive.

I really liked overnight radio in DC in the 70s tho. They couldn't
give away the ad time so it ran petty much commercial free and the
personalities actually had a little personality.
I used to set the timer on my 8 track recorder and record 0200-0330 on
tape to play later.
It was pretty easy to forget you were listening to a tape because it
was the whole feed. I got my niece bad one day when we were driving
around in Florida and the weather was calling for snow.

On 4/23/2016 1:55 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 4/23/16 1:15 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 12:45:52 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

WETA took over WGMS and another station and uses three broadcast towers
now, and, of course, it is "internet-able."

I was reading the other day that most of the AM stations are being shut
down or sold to special interest broadcasters. Affected is the first
commercial radio station in the USA ... WBZ in Boston. I used to
listen to 'BZ all the time as a kid ... Red Sox games and then Dick
Summer and Larry Glick at night. Too bad to see them being shut down
but they are another casualty of the Internet and technology.