Default Visitor

This was a little unnerving ....

Our horse barn is about 175 feet down the driveway from our house.
It has a small, two car garage attached to it where I keep the tractor
in the winter.

I had finished up plowing the driveway with the truck and decided to
walk down to the barn to get the tractor and do a little clean up work.

Got halfway down to the barn when suddenly a coyote came trotting out of
the woods beside the house. I stopped. It stopped ... about 20 feet
away and we just stared at each other. It showed absolutely no fear of
me. It kept looking at me, then in the direction it had been going
(towards the barn and garage) and then back at me again. I just stood
there. It finally started moving slowly towards the garage but then
stopped, turned and started walking back directly towards me. My first
thought was that my gun was back in the house. It stopped again about
20 feet away and we stared at each other again for about 30 seconds then
it moved on towards the garage. So, I slowly followed it, around the
corner and then realized that one of the garage doors was open. (I had
been in there earlier).

My thought was that it had gone in the garage. Walked up slowly and
looked around ... no coyote. Turned around and there he was again,
standing behind me, again about 20, maybe 30 feet away. I booked it
into the garage, pulled the door down fast and watched him through one
of the door windows. He finally lost interest and trotted off towards
my neighbor's house. They raise chickens. I think they will need to
do a head count tonight.

Made me think about what would happen if I had a gun and I was forced to
shoot it if it had attacked or become more threatening. Need to check
up on the laws about that.

Tim Tim is offline

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 11:29:46 AM UTC-6, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

At that range if you'd shot it, it would be it's word against yours..

Looked justifiable to me

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 12:29:43 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Seems like we went through that just the other day! I think a round in the ground would be the best
idea, initially. I'd be worried about rabies also, with a wild animal such as a coyote or fox.
--

Ban liars, tax cheats, idiots, and narcissists...not guns!

On 2/9/2016 12:34 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

My question is this though: Let's say a neighbor heard the shot and
called the cops. I'd probably be justified in shooting it if I felt
threatened by it but I'd also probably get written up for unlawful
discharge of a firearm in a residential area.

On 2/9/2016 11:52 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/9/2016 12:34 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Definitely depends on your state laws...

In my state, Coyotes are considered nuisance animals, and there is no
restrictions on shooting them on sight. In a residential area, you are
covered by self-defense laws if you are in danger of being attacked.

Doesn't meant the cops wouldn't give you a hard time about it, though.

A little .22 pistol would be pretty quiet and cause neighbors to
wonder if it was really a shot they just heard...

wrote:

[...]

There are lots of laws you have to consider. I doubt a coyote is
protected in any way (an invasive exotic) but you might have issues
with "discharge of a firearm" (distance from dwellings etc). You might
need a hunting license and there is probably a tree hugger law about
"cruelty to animals" in the peoples republic of Massachusetts.
I think if I had livestock it was threatening, I would take it.

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 12:43:41 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:
[...]

I'd miss the ground and put it in his head.

Coyotes are open season year-round in SC. You can also bait and call them. They have dropped the deer population by 30% or more. They eat the fawns.

On Tue, 09 Feb 2016 12:43:53 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Made me think about what would happen if I had a gun and I was forced to
shoot it if it had attacked or become more threatening. Need to check
up on the laws about that.

Seems like we went through that just the other day! I think a round in the ground would be the best
idea, initially. I'd be worried about rabies also, with a wild animal such as a coyote or fox.

===

Once you discharge a firearm in a restricted area you are potentially
subject to legal action, so you might as well make it a shot to center
of mass. There's less risk of a ricochet that way and you remove the
threat. If no one hears and reports the shot, your only problem is
disposing of the coyote.

wrote:

Made me think about what would happen if I had a gun and I was forced to
shoot it if it had attacked or become more threatening. Need to check
up on the laws about that.

Seems like we went through that just the other day! I think a round in
the ground would be the best
idea, initially. I'd be worried about rabies also, with a wild animal
such as a coyote or fox.

===

Once you discharge a firearm in a restricted area you are potentially
subject to legal action, so you might as well make it a shot to center
of mass. There's less risk of a ricochet that way and you remove the
threat. If no one hears and reports the shot, your only problem is
disposing of the coyote.

Tractor backfired.

===

That works if no one sees it and the blood is gone before the cops
show up. Once you start tampering and covering up the charges get
worse however.