BoatBanter.com

-   -   Interesting Uber ride (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/169560-interesting-uber-ride.html)

[email protected] December 1st 15 06:31 AM

Interesting Uber ride

Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

Justan Olphart[_2_] December 1st 15 01:32 PM

Interesting Uber ride

On 12/1/2015 1:31 AM, wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

Bentleys and Rolls are more typical conveyances in Naples.

John H.[_5_] December 1st 15 05:28 PM

Interesting Uber ride

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 01:31:05 -0500, wrote:

Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

I suppose I'm the only one who had to look up 'Uber ride'.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

True North[_2_] December 1st 15 05:36 PM

Interesting Uber ride

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 13:28:31 UTC-4, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 01:31:05 -0500, wrote:

Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

I suppose I'm the only one who had to look up 'Uber ride'.
--

~~ SNERK ~~
I'm sure no one is surprised at that.

[email protected] December 1st 15 06:32 PM

Interesting Uber ride

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 12:28:33 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 01:31:05 -0500, wrote:

Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

I suppose I'm the only one who had to look up 'Uber ride'.

===

Next time you need a taxi, try Uber. I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised. They've even arrived here in small town Florida.

[email protected] December 1st 15 09:27 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

I suppose I'm the only one who had to look up 'Uber ride'.

===

Next time you need a taxi, try Uber. I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised. They've even arrived here in small town Florida.

Lots of places are cracking down on them, mostly places with
"medallion" cabs. I heard the Keys is on them pretty bad and somewhere
over on the east coast.
Some of it is protecting licensed hacks but there is also the
uncollected tax issue.

Califbill December 1st 15 09:39 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

[email protected] December 1st 15 09:58 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

I suppose I'm the only one who had to look up 'Uber ride'.

===

Next time you need a taxi, try Uber. I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised. They've even arrived here in small town Florida.

Lots of places are cracking down on them, mostly places with
"medallion" cabs. I heard the Keys is on them pretty bad and somewhere
over on the east coast.
Some of it is protecting licensed hacks but there is also the
uncollected tax issue.

===

Uber somehow got by the medallion cabs in NYC. If they can do it
there it's just a matter of time before everywhere. It's a great
service and people love it, so popular opinion is on their side. The
Keys are probably just trying to protect their own but they'll lose to
Uber's big legal guns eventually.

There's no more reason for uncollected taxes that there is with any
other independent contractor. It might even be easier with Uber since
there are electronic records of every fare tied back to the driver.

[email protected] December 1st 15 10:18 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

I assume they get a 1099 for the fares they collect but they are still
not paying the local hack taxes. At least that is the complaint.
"Gypsy cabs" have always operated in NYC, pretty much with impunity.

John H.[_5_] December 1st 15 11:36 PM

Interesting Uber ride

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 13:39:31 -0800, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

[email protected] December 2nd 15 12:38 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

John H.[_5_] December 2nd 15 12:57 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

They gave the Tesla a score over 100. Never did that before. The reliability results
come from the owners who take the annual survey.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

[email protected] December 2nd 15 01:42 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

They gave the Tesla a score over 100. Never did that before. The reliability results
come from the owners who take the annual survey.

I haven't really looked at CR for years but when I was looking at
these things it looked to me that it was more the expectation of the
buyer than the absolute reliability. When I was looking at 2 virtually
identical cars, (like the GM "X" cars) using the same parts, the more
expensive cars got lower ratings than the cheaper one. I just assumed
a Cadillac owner was more of a complainer than a Chevy buyer if the
window motor was a little sluggish or the clock kept bad time.

[email protected] December 2nd 15 03:23 AM

Interesting Uber ride

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:42:53 -0500, wrote:

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

They gave the Tesla a score over 100. Never did that before. The reliability results
come from the owners who take the annual survey.

I haven't really looked at CR for years but when I was looking at
these things it looked to me that it was more the expectation of the
buyer than the absolute reliability. When I was looking at 2 virtually
identical cars, (like the GM "X" cars) using the same parts, the more
expensive cars got lower ratings than the cheaper one. I just assumed
a Cadillac owner was more of a complainer than a Chevy buyer if the
window motor was a little sluggish or the clock kept bad time.

===

Chances are that the Cadillac owners might have not only had higher
expectations but might have also have had experience with other cars
where things actually worked. We recently junked my wife's ancient
Honda Accord because the transmission was giving out after 18 years of
faithful service. Everything else on the car was still working
perfectly however like the A/C, power seats, power windows, power
mirrors, power sun roof, etc. None of that had ever needed servicing
in the entire 140K+ miles that we owned the car.

Califbill December 2nd 15 03:31 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

Lots of Tesla around here. I have a problem with a huge tax credit for
buying a $90,000 car, and driving to Los Angeles you with have to stop and
recharge or do a battery swap at Harris Ranch, or Lebec.

[email protected] December 2nd 15 03:59 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

From my experience a Cadillac man is always a Cadillac man ... until
they aren't.
I can't imagine an Acura owner going back to a Cadillac.

Justan Olphart[_2_] December 2nd 15 01:09 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

American cars aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.
When I bought my car going on 10 years ago the only initial problem was
with the smart wheel. Since then I had some problems with the seals in
the AC. I just kept recharging it until the seals magically healed
themselves. I put a couple of batteries in it and tomorrow I am treating
it to a new set of sneakers. They have 10 years on them and slightly
less than 50,000 miles.

John H.[_5_] December 2nd 15 01:41 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:
[...]

The surveys, after the car identification process, asks about problem areas in 15-20
different areas, like electronics, suspension, transmission, steering, information
displays, etc. If a problem area is checked, then the questioning gets more direct
about the specific problem, days in shop, cost to repair, etc. The survey also asks
questions about routine maintenance costs.

If I were a Cadillac driver and had a beef, like Luddite with his Beemers, then I
could probably take my revenge on the survey. But, CR has probably got some
statistics package that would identify 'overzealous' problem reporters.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

John H.[_5_] December 2nd 15 01:45 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

Cheap-assed tranny if you ask me. Only 18 years? Damn, what a piece of crap!

Could your propensity to kick it to 90mph whenever you were behind the wheel have
anything to do with that? How often did you hold the brake, race the engine, and let
go the brake to out run the Mustang next to you at a stop light.

You've already admitted to being a hot-rodder, so we'll leave those questions in the
'rhetorical' category!
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

John H.[_5_] December 2nd 15 02:12 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

Other than the glow plugs, my truck has given me no problems. I'm thinking I got
ripped off with the first glow plug problem. The place said it was a bad plug and a
bad glow plug module. Cost me about $750.

A couple months ago the check engine light came on, the reader said glow plug #4.
This time I decided to attempt the replacement myself. Pain in the butt 'cause the
wheel well cover has to be removed to get to the damn thing. Anyway, got the new one
in and cranked the engine. Damn light still came on. Then a friend told me it might
take a few cycles for the computer to get itself straight. Sure enough, after about
my third trip somewhere the CE light stayed off.

The point is, I now wonder if the repair place actually ran the truck through a few
cycles before deciding the problem was more than the glow plug and replacing the
module. I suppose they could have, but I have my doubts.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Mr. Luddite December 2nd 15 03:15 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

What's a "smart wheel"?

[email protected] December 2nd 15 03:45 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

It is not unusual for my Prelude. (Basically a Civic in a sport
jacket).
I try to stay within the quasi legal 80 or so but I find myself
creeping up occasionally ;-)

[email protected] December 2nd 15 03:54 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

We had an old accord and there was a known problem with the
transmission that you could temporarily fix by taking off the battery
cable for a second. I don't remember the details but it was
software/electronic related. That showed up in the 150-160k mile
range.
We ended up just selling it. The funny thing was we had swapped the 89
accord with my daughter and I took her 86 Chrysler LeBanon. The
Lebanon outlasted the Honda. (after I fixed the steering problem that
prompted the swap in the first place)

[email protected] December 2nd 15 03:55 PM

Interesting Uber ride

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:15:49 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

What's a "smart wheel"?

Controls on the steering wheel?

Califbill December 2nd 15 04:59 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

I had to replace the module to pass smog. Do not really need the glow
plugs here due to not much freezing weather. The module had or has a
tendency to break the connections to the board inside. Get an ODB2 reader
and you can check the codes and reset them. Reader is less than a hundred.
Mine, I had to replace the connectors to injector 2 and 7. GM made the
lines a little short and the connector wears out. Bought mine off the
internet for about $50 and the module about 175.

[email protected] December 2nd 15 05:06 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

I got an OBII dongle that blue tooths to my laptop.
It was about $10

John H.[_5_] December 2nd 15 07:51 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

I'm now the proud owner of a reader. From what I understand, the reader will say the
problem is a glow plug, but it might be the plug, the wire, or the module.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Califbill December 2nd 15 07:56 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

I think my reader was $50. Bought it when coming back from Yellowstone,
and went in to limp mode at Donner
Pass summit. Chevy dealer could find nada wrong. So sent me on my way.
Got near Sacramento, and limp mode again. Bought the reader and used
McDonalds wifi to research the code. Internet scores. You can stick an
ice pick through the connector to make sharp edge connection along
roadside. Pretty much all my laptops died, so went iPad.

Califbill December 2nd 15 07:57 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

The module error I had was can not communicate with module. But with a
meter helps narrow the problem.

[email protected] December 2nd 15 08:51 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

The problem with the generic readers is that they can tell you what generic industry-wide engine codes are set, but that's all. Most (all?) modern cars have their own extended codes that these readers can't pick up. The Corvette I had lit up with error messages one day related to the ABS and stability systems. My reader saw nothing. The GM specific reader showed two "chassis" codes that pointed to the electronic brake control module (EBCM). Luckily it was under warranty.

I can get a Audi specific aftermarket "reader" that allows you to turn on specific features that aren't enabled on all A6's, and will also activate some things required for maintenance, like retracting the emergency brakes for brake service. Last time I checked, it was over $300 to get it setup, plus a laptop. No thanks.

[email protected] December 2nd 15 09:58 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

John H.[_5_] December 2nd 15 10:12 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

More and more the autobahn speed limit is 130kph, which is pretty close to 80. In
Germany, the places with unlimited speed limit are dwindling rapidly. The Europeans
have more and more radar cameras mounted on overpasses to catch speeders.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Mr. Luddite December 2nd 15 10:40 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

Problem is most of the east coast roads aren't designed for driving over
60. Too congested, too many curves without adequate banking, etc.
There are a few places in the south and Florida on I-95 that 75-80 mph
is safe but few places north of there.

[email protected] December 3rd 15 01:47 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

Problem is most of the east coast roads aren't designed for driving over
60. Too congested, too many curves without adequate banking, etc.
There are a few places in the south and Florida on I-95 that 75-80 mph
is safe but few places north of there.

Most real interstates are designed for 80. That may not apply to every
Northeastern road that was upgraded and renamed I-95 tho. Most of the
interstate 95 south of DC is suitable for 80 except the Richmond Toll
road that was renamed and maybe some parts down the East Coast of
Florida.
I75 is pretty much speedy friendly all the way to Atlanta. (far as I
have gone north on it) It pretty much stays out of town all the way to
FTL although it's is being encroached on in Ft Myers/Naples.
The two counties and state are building roads on both sides of 75 to
pull the local traffic off of it

[email protected] December 3rd 15 02:43 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

The biggest things that are making our interstates unsafe at speed are inattentive drivers (cell phones!) and plain old stupid people. Many don't follow the basic rule of "slower traffic keep right", which is a law in SC. Driving should be your first job, not something you do when texting, talking on your phone, screwing around with the radio, etc. Our society is not taught that, unfortunately.

[email protected] December 3rd 15 07:24 AM

Interesting Uber ride

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:43:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have always scheduled my MdFlorida trips so I do Virginia to the
Georgia line at night. Traffic is always light and it is usually just
me and the truckers. We move right along.
If I left my house in Md (south of DC) at around 2100, I was in North
Carolina shortly after midnight and crossing the Florida State line at
sunup. Going back I left St Pete around 1500 and had a similar
schedule in reverse, crossing the Potomac River Bridge north of
Dahlgren at sunup.

Mr. Luddite December 3rd 15 09:46 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I did many roundtrips from MA to Jupiter, FL driving everything from BMW
740's to 36' Class A motorhomes to pickups hauling boats or trailers. I
once drove the BMW non-stop, other than for gas and grabbing something
to eat. Never again.

The worst part was from MA to just south of Virginia if I took I-95.
Getting through the southern part of CT and then NY, NJ, Delaware and
Maryland was always a nightmare, regardless of what time I left. The
I-84/I-81 route was better but considerably longer. The Carolina's were
usually ok unless you hit road construction that seemed like it was
going on forever. Navigating a big Class A through the winding, narrow
Jersey barriers that were set up was always a thrill. Glad I don't
make that trip anymore.

The last long distance trip I took was last December when
I drove to Mt. Pleasant, SC to see my son and his family over the
Christmas holidays.

I think the most pleasurable trip I took was driving out to Denver,
Colorado in the F-350 diesel hauling a car trailer to pick up a '55 Ford
F-100. The roads west of Illinois were straight as an arrow for miles
upon miles with almost no traffic. I took my time, taking 3 days to get
to Denver. Enjoyed that trip.

I'd much rather do the trip to Florida by boat.

[email protected] December 3rd 15 10:18 AM

Interesting Uber ride

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 04:46:20 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

For some reason Md to St Pete seemed like a reasonable "straight
through" drive but tacking on the extra 100 miles or so to Ft Myers
was too much. I guess it is what you get used to. Since I moved here,
I have little reason to make the trip. When we go up we take the
mountain route and spend close to a week getting there. We fly back.

I do agree, starting south of DC makes it a lot more pleasant drive. I
really did not hit the interstate until right north of the Richmond
toll road and then it was 95 all the way to the Florida line where I
hopped off to A!A, 301 and 526 over to I75. (speed trap city in Waldo
although I was never stopped)
Sometimes I would stop at a rest stop and take a power nap in the
Carolinas for an hour or so but I usually just kept going if I had
started fresh. It was about 16 hours if you were running legal but if
I was working the "breaker breaker" and I had a trucker or two I knew
out there I have made it in 14 (a tad over 900 miles).
When I was dating my (now) wife I made that trip a lot ;-)

I usually came down once or twice a year to see the folks before then
but in 83 it was more like 6-7. I was working midnights, 10 on and 4
off and if you worked the "23:45" trick you could make that 5 days
off. Tack on a few vacation days and you had enough to make the trip
worthwhile. I could really stretch out 4 weeks of vacation.

Mr. Luddite December 3rd 15 11:33 AM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

[...]

The ride from my house in MA to Jupiter, FL is just about 1500 miles.
Too long to do it non-stop. Other than that one time (which was
stupid), I'd go from MA to Richmond the first day, Richmond to
somewhere in Georgia the second and be in Jupiter by 1 or 2 pm on the
third day.

John H.[_5_] December 3rd 15 12:25 PM

Interesting Uber ride

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When I visit my brother in NC, I leave the house at 5 am, in both directions. Works
well. I have to admit I'm not as comfortable riding the motorcycle at night as I used
to be.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!