Default What could be nicer...

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 14:45:37 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 17:01:24 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

...eagle takes down annoying drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-xBtVU4lg

Hope this happens everywhere...

No you don't, dumb****. What happened to the eagle (if that's what it was). Those
propellers will easily take off a finger, let alone cut up an eagle, or hawk or any
other bird, very badly. You'll note the drone is still transmitting, which means the
owner can easily retrieve and repair it.

No one knows what happened to the bird. I hope it made it.

And I hope you learned something.

Myth busters tested drones. All but the biggest were pretty much
harmless. Some of the big commercial ones with carbon fiber blades can
leave a mark ;-)

Just saw a news items about drones. There is some kind of exhibition in town with 40 exhibitors and 200 delegates.
If a person was interested in one of the toys it might be worth the price of admission.

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:07:17 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Just saw a news items about drones. There is some kind of exhibition in town with 40 exhibitors and 200 delegates.
If a person was interested in one of the toys it might be worth the price of admission.

Flying RC airplanes is, IMHO, fun. I've flown the multirotors, but don't get a kick
out of it. Except for small ones for the grandkids, I'd not be interested in buying
one. And, I've found that flying a helicopter and then flying an airplane pose a
problem. 'Up' for a helicopter is 'down' for an airplane using the transmitter
controls. That can get interesting.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On 11/5/2015 4:31 PM, John H. wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:07:17 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Just saw a news items about drones. There is some kind of exhibition in town with 40 exhibitors and 200 delegates.
If a person was interested in one of the toys it might be worth the price of admission.

Flying RC airplanes is, IMHO, fun. I've flown the multirotors, but don't get a kick
out of it. Except for small ones for the grandkids, I'd not be interested in buying
one. And, I've found that flying a helicopter and then flying an airplane pose a
problem. 'Up' for a helicopter is 'down' for an airplane using the transmitter
controls. That can get interesting.

Hold one or the other controller upside down. :-)

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 16:31:30 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:07:17 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Just saw a news items about drones. There is some kind of exhibition in town with 40 exhibitors and 200 delegates.
If a person was interested in one of the toys it might be worth the price of admission.

Flying RC airplanes is, IMHO, fun. I've flown the multirotors, but don't get a kick
out of it. Except for small ones for the grandkids, I'd not be interested in buying
one. And, I've found that flying a helicopter and then flying an airplane pose a
problem. 'Up' for a helicopter is 'down' for an airplane using the transmitter
controls. That can get interesting.

My neighbor Henc is always bugging me to buy a little drone but I am
still not sure what I would do with it. It looks like something I
would play with a few times and then put it away. It might be
interesting to explore the mangroves that you can't walk into but if
the drone went down, you would have to I suppose.

wrote:

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 17:01:24 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

...eagle takes down annoying drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-xBtVU4lg

Hope this happens everywhere...

No you don't, dumb****. What happened to the eagle (if that's what it was). Those
propellers will easily take off a finger, let alone cut up an eagle, or hawk or any
other bird, very badly. You'll note the drone is still transmitting, which means the
owner can easily retrieve and repair it.

No one knows what happened to the bird. I hope it made it.

And I hope you learned something.

Myth busters tested drones. All but the biggest were pretty much
harmless. Some of the big commercial ones with carbon fiber blades can
leave a mark ;-)

I've seen the damage a plastic airplane propeller going at a much slower rpm can do
to a leather covered ottoman corner. Ate right through it to the stuffing. My wife
was very unhappy. I'm thinking your 'myth busters' test is bull****. Although small
and plastic, those props are going several thousand rpm, and they're very sharp.

Here's a view of some of the damage caused with the airplane/drone that caused the
problem, in some cases. It's in French, but you get the idea. Imagine if those cuts
were in an eagle's neck? Or a foot joint?

http://chrismeme11.over-blog.com/article-36258812.html
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:

[...]

Dunno. They were using a few different small hobby drones hitting a
ballistic gel dummy and watching it on a high speed camera.

This really comes down to this being a very light propeller driven by
a pretty weak motor. You can't compare that to the old 2 stroke model
airplanes.

wrote:

[...]

Based on what I've read (and heard), the lithium/ion batteries used in
these hobbyist quads are more dangerous than the spinning propellers.

wrote:

[...]

Wrong. Do some research on these 'weak' little motors.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!