Horace Brownbag

Default Damm Roaches

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:07:53 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes
Horace Brownbag wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:58:05 GMT, "Mark Browne"
wrote:
snip

Errr....why not just go buy a chunk of dryice, toss it in and close the
boat up?

snip
In a chicken breeding operation the people that sex chickens kill the males
by throwing them in a bucket with a chunk of dry ice - the vapor kills the
young chicks very effectively. Life is short and thankless for most male
chicks.

I've hooked a small pipe to a CO2 tank, and probed small containers of
grain. Screw the top back on, and see no weevil, hear no weevil, and
best yet, eat no weevil.

Small concentration are lethal to many, many critters.

Weevils are extra protein.

Tuck in, Granny.

I went through a period where we were tired of throwing out the roach
infected food...so we ate with our eyes closed. No thanks....
Vito

Horace Brownbag wrote:

I went through a period where we were tired of throwing out the roach
infected food...so we ate with our eyes closed. No thanks....

I shared your prejudice as a child. But then my job took me aboard one
of our rich uncle sam's big grey yachts. I was sitting in the wardroom
at near midnight yearning for a snack when an officer came in with a
nice steaming bowl of soup. Where? Midrats, down on the mess deck. Off I
went to get in the line, my mouth literally watering at the soup's
scent; but when I got to the big whaddacallit of soup there were a dozen
or so roaches swimming in it!! Noting my hesitancy a sailor said "Here,
lemme show you. Dip the ladle to the bottom, shake it back and forth,
then pull it up quickly!" With that he matched word with deed and handed
me a roachless bowl of soup which, acknowledging that I'd been eating
out of that same "mess" for days, I promptly ate with great enjoyment.

Sorry to tell y'all this but Ms Rosalie's right: almost everything we
eat contains insect and/or rodent parts and droppings.
Leanne

I shared your prejudice as a child. But then my job took me aboard one
of our rich uncle sam's big grey yachts. I was sitting in the wardroom
at near midnight yearning for a snack when an officer came in with a
nice steaming bowl of soup. Where? Midrats, down on the mess deck. Off I
went to get in the line, my mouth literally watering at the soup's
scent; but when I got to the big whaddacallit of soup there were a dozen
or so roaches swimming in it!! Noting my hesitancy a sailor said "Here,
lemme show you. Dip the ladle to the bottom, shake it back and forth,
then pull it up quickly!" With that he matched word with deed and handed
me a roachless bowl of soup which, acknowledging that I'd been eating
out of that same "mess" for days, I promptly ate with great enjoyment.

I have been on one of those yachts and noticed the bread. Those weren't caraway
seeds. What is a weevil or two. Added protein.

Sorry to tell y'all this but Ms Rosalie's right: almost everything we
eat contains insect and/or rodent parts and droppings.

Sometimes where you least expect it.

Leanne
S/V Fundy

Doug Kanter

"Vito" wrote in message

Sorry to tell y'all this but Ms Rosalie's right: almost everything we
eat contains insect and/or rodent parts and droppings.

There are actually printed guides for "permissible levels of insect parts"
for food products. Candy is especially interesting, for obvious reasons.
Anyone who thinks Hershey can cook up sugar and chocolate all day and not
attract ants is a complete idiot.

My GF grew up in Yauco, in SW Puerto Rico. Her housing development was built
20 years ago on top of old sugar cane plantations. Nice house, nice
neighborhood, but the ants never left. You can wipe down the entire kitchen
with Lysol or bleach, walk away, and 20 minutes later, there'll be ants on
the counter, looking for whatever it is they're looking for. They're tiny,
and they wipe up nicely with a damp paper towel.

It bothered me on the first visit, but it was obvious that her mother was as
obsessive about a clean kitchen as I am, and everywhere I went, people had
the same problem. The standard comment was "Of course...everyone has them".

I think we worry too much about some bugs.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Vito" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I agree. When we lived in Key West we had three kinds of ants -
sweets ants who would be all over the counter the day after we sliced
a watermelon there, fat or meat eating ants, and crazy ants. The
crazy ants appeared mostly in the bathroom, and they ran around like
crazy - never appeared to be going anywhere in particular.

When we lived in Pensacola the ants took up residence in the shower
head. Since my husband took 'Navy showers', he would inevitably get
sprayed with ants when he took his morning shower. I guess eventually
the ants moved elsewhere, or else my husband learned to run the shower
for a couple of seconds before he got into it.

Ants are very clean and I don't mind them much as long as they don't
bite me. I don't like fire ants.

grandma Rosalie