Julian

Default Damm Roaches

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Julian" wrote in message

If there was a way to kill eggs before they hatch then I have
such a hate of roaches that I would seriously consider
creating a decontamination chamber on deck somewhere
and try to process any material coming onto the boat in case
there were eggs in it.

Hopefully, you'd also plan to wash everything you decontaminated before your
children touched it, right? And things like boxes of noodles wouldn't be
processed that way.

I don't have kids, but a sensible warning anyway. And yes, definitely lots of
washing afterwards.

- Julian

Julian

"Keith" wrote in message ...
Egg size depends on the species. Those big tree roaches (Palmetto bugs for
you FL folks) have an egg case about 3/8" long, dark brown.

Aarghh!!! I'm almost afraid to ask, but how big is an adult tree roach?

- Julian

Gfretwell

Those big tree roaches (Palmetto bugs for
you FL folks) have an egg case about 3/8" long, dark brown.

Aarghh!!! I'm almost afraid to ask, but how big is an adult tree roach?

I think the record is about 1 1/2" (some bug spray company has an annual
contest) but they certainly look a lot bigger when they are walking across the
ceiling over the bed.
It is technically called the American Cockroach. Take that you wimpy German and
Asian "also ran" bugs!
Just be happy we don't have those 3" hissing mo' fo's
Jack Rye

ROTFLMAO
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Horace Brownbag" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:53:18 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message
Thanks. Don't mined if I do. Cheers, and may I toast you on such an
astute
observation.

Dirty secret. If I'm up at 4:00 AM because the neighbor's dog is out

making
noise, I'll sometimes dose my cat (Rosie the Horrible) with catnip, let

her
out, and toss cat treats along the fenceline. Drives the friggin' dog

nuts,
and there seems to be no limit as to how much the the cat's willing to

spend
along that fence. The dog ends up with its neck and legs completely

wrapped
in its chain. Much more fun than calling the cops to enforce the noise
ordinance, which doesn't work most of the time anyway.

I wouldn't call it in as a noise violation.

I'd call animal control. If they are that irritating there is a
possibility of abuse.

I think there would be a greater probability of achieving a favorable
result.

Interesting point. Frankly, my definition of dog abuse is letting average
people introduce two dogs for purposes of making puppies. For this reason,
my cat's vet has stopped using the term "golden retriever". She calls them
"hip problems".

Gfretwell

Aarghh!!! I'm almost afraid to ask, but how big is an adult tree roach?

I think the record is about 1 1/2"

Oh yeah ... and they can fly. I'm not talking about a glide down from the wall.
I mean take off from the floor and land on the wall.
They don't have the barrel roll skill of a fly though so they can't land on the
ceiling.

Horace Brownbag

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 02:34:21 +0100, "Julian"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message ...
Egg size depends on the species. Those big tree roaches (Palmetto bugs for
you FL folks) have an egg case about 3/8" long, dark brown.

Aarghh!!! I'm almost afraid to ask, but how big is an adult tree roach?

Most of the big ones I see are about 2 inches, maybe a bit bigger if I
was generous with the antennae and wing tips.

The ones who land on you when you least expect are around 4 inches
and even bigger when it's dark, I swear....but if I pin mounted one of
these huge beasts and put a measure to it... it might be a bit over 2.

....now the wharf roaches in Fiji. They are as big as puppy dogs.
Gfretwell

Most of the big ones I see are about 2 inches, maybe a bit bigger if I
was generous with the antennae and wing tips.

The official measurement for the bug contest is from the front of the head to
the wing tips and it sounds like you had a contender!

http://www.pctonline.com/news/news.asp?ID=2089
NH_/\)_

funny... I bet they grow bigger from that solar flare.

NH_/)_

---
Chat Service
#sail-usa