Default fishing and kayaking trip.

Went up to Mammoth Lakes, CA for a few days. Wife gave me a guided fishing
trip for Christmas. Great guide. Learned a lot. Fished the Owens River
in a couple areas. Caught a lot of trout. Much more than I have ever done
on a stream. All C&R as it is a wild trout area. No planters. Also
camped at Lake Mary, and kayaked fished the lake. No catching was done by
me. I think because of the temperature all were deeper than I could get
trolling without down digger. Most were caught on bait fishing on anchor.
Good trip, except truck decided it needs a new water pump. Starting to
drip. Tool store was out of 3/4" breaker bars when I stopped and checked.
Have to remove the Harmonic Balancer and is some where between 250-500 ft.
Pounds torque to remove. Will break a 1/2" bar. Ordered bar and socket.

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:48:18 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

Went up to Mammoth Lakes, CA for a few days. Wife gave me a guided fishing
trip for Christmas. Great guide. Learned a lot. Fished the Owens River
in a couple areas. Caught a lot of trout. Much more than I have ever done
on a stream. All C&R as it is a wild trout area. No planters. Also
camped at Lake Mary, and kayaked fished the lake. No catching was done by
me. I think because of the temperature all were deeper than I could get
trolling without down digger. Most were caught on bait fishing on anchor.
Good trip, except truck decided it needs a new water pump. Starting to
drip. Tool store was out of 3/4" breaker bars when I stopped and checked.
Have to remove the Harmonic Balancer and is some where between 250-500 ft.
Pounds torque to remove. Will break a 1/2" bar. Ordered bar and socket.

Good luck with it, CB.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:48:18 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

Went up to Mammoth Lakes, CA for a few days. Wife gave me a guided fishing
trip for Christmas. Great guide. Learned a lot. Fished the Owens River
in a couple areas. Caught a lot of trout. Much more than I have ever done
on a stream. All C&R as it is a wild trout area. No planters. Also
camped at Lake Mary, and kayaked fished the lake. No catching was done by
me. I think because of the temperature all were deeper than I could get
trolling without down digger. Most were caught on bait fishing on anchor.
Good trip, except truck decided it needs a new water pump. Starting to
drip. Tool store was out of 3/4" breaker bars when I stopped and checked.
Have to remove the Harmonic Balancer and is some where between 250-500 ft.
Pounds torque to remove. Will break a 1/2" bar. Ordered bar and socket.

We liked Mammoth. This is from the hiking trail up on the mountain
above it

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/Mamoth%20Lakes.jpg

Do you have a big impact wrench. That is the trick for getting the
balancer nut off. You need the 3/4" one tho, not that little 1/2"
harbor fright stuff.
I suppose a Thunder Gun might do it.

wrote:
[...]

I have a 1/2" craftsman, but not enough room without pulling the radiator
and maybe grill. The YouTube directions show a 3/4" with 5' cheater bar.
Yes. Mammoth is nice. My oldest daughter and son in law live in Long Beach
and ski Mammoth Mountain a lot. Problem is the drive to the area. Is
almost directly east of San Jose, but no direct road. I go through
Yosemite Park on 120, and is a 5 hour drive if no bad tourist traffic.
Other bitch is the new fees for Yosemite. $30 for a 7 day pass. I have a
senior pass, so do not pay, but a national park. Why so expensive? Hurts
the family that wants to make a day trip from the valley towns. Want more
money, raise the fees on hotels and the company who runs the park. Curry
Company uses to run the park and only paid a 2% royalty. I think it is
only 6% now. Costs as much to dry camp in the park, not even the valley as
you pay in June Lake with electric and power. Where are the tax dollars
for th park service going?

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:27:44 -0500, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I got a real kick out of my wife on that trip. We were in Sequoia NP
south of King's Canyon and she said we were going to Mammoth next.
When I asked how she thought we were going to get there she showed me
a blue line on the map. It was a river coming down out of the
mountains.

We ended up going through Fresno and over on Tioga Pass where they
have to lock up the water.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...he%20Water.jpg

wrote:
[...]

The San Joaquin River is the only River that starts on the eastern side of
the sierras. Is pretty much all used by the time it gets to the Sacramento

Delta. Is a low spot, and flows through Reds meadows above Mammoth. He
West. Where Whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting. Samuel
Clemons. Years ago they wanted to put a freeway through to Mammoth from
the West. Reagan luckily stopped that enviro disaster.

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:58:25 -0400, wrote:

We ended up going through Fresno and over on Tioga Pass where they
have to lock up the water.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...he%20Water.jpg

===

That's a common sight if you go boating in the Bahamas or Caribbean.
At 50 cents a gallon in some locations it can cost us over $100 to
fill up. That's still a lot cheaper than making your own however.

wrote:
[...]

This river just went down the west slope (Kings river?). There is
another one in a similar place on the east side but they are not
connected.

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 21:35:52 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:58:25 -0400, wrote:

We ended up going through Fresno and over on Tioga Pass where they
have to lock up the water.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...he%20Water.jpg

===

That's a common sight if you go boating in the Bahamas or Caribbean.
At 50 cents a gallon in some locations it can cost us over $100 to
fill up. That's still a lot cheaper than making your own however.

I assume you have an RO, how much does it cost to make water.

wrote:

We ended up going through Fresno and over on Tioga Pass where they
have to lock up the water.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/california/...he%20Water.jpg

===

That's a common sight if you go boating in the Bahamas or Caribbean.
At 50 cents a gallon in some locations it can cost us over $100 to
fill up. That's still a lot cheaper than making your own however.

I assume you have an RO, how much does it cost to make water.

===

We have tankage for 500 gallons so have never felt the need for a
water maker (RO). They cost upwards of $5 to $7K to buy and install,
take up valuable engine room space, and require a lot of
TLC/maintenance. In addition you need to run the generator which has
a fully loaded cost of $8 to $10 per hour. Assuming a 20 gph water
maker, you're looking at a fully loaded cost in the 70 to 90 cents per
gallon range depending on how you depreciate/amortize the purchase
price.