Tim Tim is offline

Default John I see you're back...

How was the camping John. Hope you had a great time...

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 05:40:38 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

How was the camping John. Hope you had a great time...

Oh, we had a good time, but it was a bit exciting.

We'd moved from the Bluegrass Festival campground to the one where our Good Sam group
was spending last weekend. This was Gettysburg Campground, down the hill from Granite
Hill campground, and right alongside Marsh Creek.

The folks at Gettysburg campground let us leave the rig there, hooked up to
electricity, so we wouldn't have to drag it home and back up again. They let us plug
in for $5 a night. I figure it probably saves $30 in fuel, plus less hassle, just
leaving the rig up there.

So, Thursday we drove up. Hit some horrendous rain just north of Thurmont, MD, but
that slacked off a bit. Hooked up the rig, getting soaked, and moved it to the site
we'd reserved for the weekend. Got all dried off, clothes changed, having a coffee,
when Sandy's smart phone made a 'BRRAATTTT' sound and gave us a flash flood warning.
We went to the office, and they told us to hook up and be ready to leave with about
ten minutes warning. The creek behind us had risen over 30" in the previous hour and
was about 6" from the top of its banks.

A few minutes later the office folks told everyone to pack up and get out. We did,
going to another campground in Gettysburg. We'd called one of our friends, who'd also
left his rig there for the week, and they were fighting DC rush hour traffic to get
up to Gettysburg. By the time they got there, around 5:15 the water was over the rims
of their tires. They also packed up and moved to our campground.

The next morning we returned, and the folks at Gettysburg Campground had done a
remarkable job of repairing the damage, spreading new gravel, cleaning up the mess
and so on. So, we ended up having a very nice weekend.

Even the dogs enjoyed it!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Campground.jpg

--

Ban idiots, not guns!

On 8/24/15 9:46 AM, John H. wrote:

So, Thursday we drove up. Hit some horrendous rain just north of Thurmont, MD, but
that slacked off a bit. Hooked up the rig, getting soaked, and moved it to the site
we'd reserved for the weekend. Got all dried off, clothes changed, having a coffee,
when Sandy's smart phone made a 'BRRAATTTT' sound and gave us a flash flood warning.
We went to the office, and they told us to hook up and be ready to leave with about
ten minutes warning. The creek behind us had risen over 30" in the previous hour and
was about 6" from the top of its banks.

A few minutes later the office folks told everyone to pack up and get out. We did,
going to another campground in Gettysburg.

- - -
Damn. Nature missed an opportunity.