jps jps is offline

Default Why the silence from jps and Krause...

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 18:04:38 -0400, John H.
wrote:

...over the shootings in Tennessee? Is it because the victims were Marines? Because
the shooter was a Muslim? Where's the attention?

Damn shame.

Just another day of shootings in Murkia. Why would it be any
different if the shooter is a Muslim?

There were 5 shootings and a bunch of dead people and kids in the
Western Washington area over the past 3 days. I didn't post about
them either.

My problem is the profusion of unchecked gun distribution coupled with
the violent nature of our society and the impact those two components
have on our country and its citizens.

33,000 dead per year. A tiny fraction of that is the result of Muslim
violence with many more at the hands of right wing whackos.

wrote:

...over the shootings in Tennessee? Is it because the victims were Marines? Because
the shooter was a Muslim? Where's the attention?

Damn shame.

Just another day of shootings in Murkia. Why would it be any
different if the shooter is a Muslim?

There were 5 shootings and a bunch of dead people and kids in the
Western Washington area over the past 3 days. I didn't post about
them either.

My problem is the profusion of unchecked gun distribution coupled with
the violent nature of our society and the impact those two components
have on our country and its citizens.

33,000 dead per year. A tiny fraction of that is the result of Muslim
violence with many more at the hands of right wing whackos.

What percent is from the druggies in the ten major murder cities? Yet I've seen you
whine only about the most exceptional of cases.

Weird.
--

Guns don't cause problems.
Gun owner behavior causes problems.
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Almost 50% are suicides where the despondent have easier access to
weapons than someone to talk to.

wrote:

[...]

The despondents had no telephones? Parents? Friends? Are you a hotline volunteer? Why
not?

And, you failed to answer the question.

wrote:

[...]

One note Johnny, the right-wing racist gasbag who thinks his "questions"
should be answered because he's entitled.

jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

He'd rather blame a race and parenting than rampant poverty and
underfunded, failing schools.

Where people have little opportunity and little chance of escape, they
learn to survive in the few ways available.

Other countries don't let their populations fail like this, at least
most westernized countries. Murika is about servicing the rich at the
cost of everything and everyone else.

Among the rich are the gun lobby, who spread money around and use
their influence to scare politicians into doing nothing.

****ing assholes.

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:07:57 -0700, jps wrote:

33,000 dead per year. A tiny fraction of that is the result of Muslim
violence with many more at the hands of right wing whackos.

What percent is from the druggies in the ten major murder cities? Yet I've seen you
whine only about the most exceptional of cases.

Weird.

Almost 50% are suicides where the despondent have easier access to
weapons than someone to talk to.

===

If you subtract out the suicides and the inner city gang banger
killings, what are you left with, and what is the rate of
increase/decrease?

I think your alleged "problem" is a tad less than what you make it out
to be. My condolences if someone you knew was killed by a gun but
that does not make it a national problem.

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:14:02 PM UTC-7, jps wrote:

****ing assholes.

Its of no wonder that you and Krause get along so well. "Reach around" is his fantasy.
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 01:22:50 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 18:13:59 -0700, jps wrote:

He'd rather blame a race and parenting than rampant poverty and
underfunded, failing schools.

Where people have little opportunity and little chance of escape, they
learn to survive in the few ways available.

Other countries don't let their populations fail like this, at least
most westernized countries. Murika is about servicing the rich at the
cost of everything and everyone else.

Other countries (northern Europe, Japan, Singapore etc) have don't
have the same kind of give away programs as the "great society".
People are steered to work. They have no problem telling people that
they are going to be trained for a blue collar job and not acting like
everyone is going to Harvard.
They also have an entirely different culture about work, family and
social responsibility.

The great society created an entire welfare culture that was very hard
to break out of. We packed the inner citoes with people who had no
skills, except crime and little opportunity to escape.
Add to that the fact that low skill jobs have fled the country and you
have middle class people competing for them because those white collar
management jobs went away too,

What would your plan be? Throw more money at them?

Hogwash. Northern European countries subsidize the poor so they don't
have to starve and go without health coverage. They have the happiest
societies in the world with a tiny homicide rate.

The great society hasn't gone far enough to be successsful. We have a
class of billionaires who aren't taxed and are getting more wealthy at
an obscene rate. We cater to the rich here. The rest can go ****
themselves.

Murika is an episode of the hunger games.
jps jps is offline

wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 13:24:49 -0700, jps wrote:

33,000 dead per year. A tiny fraction of that is the result of Muslim
violence with many more at the hands of right wing whackos.

What percent is from the druggies in the ten major murder cities? Yet I've seen you
whine only about the most exceptional of cases.

Weird.

Almost 50% are suicides where the despondent have easier access to
weapons than someone to talk to.

I am glad you pointed that out because I was going to call bull**** on
the 33,000.
Suicide is not really a weapon problem, it is a suicide problem. The
There are lots of ways to kill yourself. If there is a will there is a
way.

Japanese have more suicides than we do with virtually no guns.

And yet it happens here at a higher rate because of gun availability.
Check out Harvard School of Health studies on countries with higher
rates of gun ownership. More guns = more death.

Stop talking out of your dark hole...

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature
review).

Our review of the academic literature found that a broad array of
evidence indicates that gun availability is a risk factor for
homicide, both in the United States and across high-income countries.
Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional
studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US,
where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for
homicide, particularly firearm homicide.

Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A
review of the literature. Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review
Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.

2. Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide.

We analyzed the relationship between homicide and gun availability
using data from 26 developed countries from the early 1990s. We found
that across developed countries, where guns are more available, there
are more homicides. These results often hold even when the United
States is excluded.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Firearm availability and homicide
rates across 26 high income countries. Journal of Trauma. 2000;
49:985-88.

3. Across states, more guns = more homicide

Using a validated proxy for firearm ownership, we analyzed the
relationship between firearm availability and homicide across 50
states over a ten year period (1988-1997).

After controlling for poverty and urbanization, for every age group,
people in states with many guns have elevated rates of homicide,
particularly firearm homicide.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. Household firearm
ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states,
1988-1997. American Journal of Public Health. 2002: 92:1988-1993.

4. Across states, more guns = more homicide (2)

Using survey data on rates of household gun ownership, we examined the
association between gun availability and homicide across states,
2001-2003. We found that states with higher levels of household gun
ownership had higher rates of firearm homicide and overall homicide.
This relationship held for both genders and all age groups, after
accounting for rates of aggravated assault, robbery, unemployment,
urbanization, alcohol consumption, and resource deprivation (e.g.,
poverty). There was no association between gun prevalence and
non-firearm homicide.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. State-level
homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey
measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003. Social Science and
Medicine. 2007; 64:656-64.