Tim Tim is offline

Default Wayne, speaking of boat steering.

I never thought of a prop acting like a "paddle wheel" that's interesting to know. Of course outboards and I/O's you aim the prop the direction you want the boat to go. Especcially in reverse makes backing much simpler. I apreciate the education!

On 3/19/2015 8:54 AM, Tim wrote:
I never thought of a prop acting like a "paddle wheel" that's interesting to know. Of course outboards and I/O's you aim the prop the direction you want the boat to go. Especcially in reverse makes backing much simpler. I apreciate the education!

You can demonstrate prop walk with an outboard or I/O although
sometimes it's masked or affected by wind and/or current.

If it's a still day and there's little or no current, pick a fixed spot
behind the boat like the end of a dock or a piling or something.
Center the helm so the outboard or I/O leg is straight and put it in
reverse at idle throttle. As the boat starts moving toward the fixed
object the stern will slowly start moving left or right depending on the
LH or RH rotation design of the prop.

Tim Tim is offline

Makes a lot of sense Richard. I guess with outboard propulsion one really doesn't think of it much seeing the operator is aligning the steering as necessary. Like backing a car.

On 3/19/2015 9:52 AM, Tim wrote:

Makes a lot of sense Richard. I guess with outboard propulsion one really doesn't think of it much seeing the operator is aligning the steering as necessary. Like backing a car.

True, but you are still subconsciously dealing with it and compensating
for it. Prop walk exists regardless of where the helm is positioned or
the amount of turn in the outboard or I/O leg.