Default Helping Greg Move to the 20th Century...

On 3/15/15 8:19 AM, John H. wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 01:19:17 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:55:13 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

I've been happy with 7, although I still have problems with Firefox.

No surprise.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

Nobody has showed me a compelling reason to get rid of XP.

If your applications do not change, why should your computer change?

I find it amusing that harry, who normally likes to rail on about how
corporations screw consumers, falls for this planned obsolescence
scam.
They are tricking the public into throwing away perfectly good systems
and buying new ones, not getting any real productivity gain, only
pumping up the bottom line of Microsoft and the off shore hardware
manufacturers.

I know this will make harry's head explode but I just got the duty of
managing boat ramp keys and I am doing it on dBase IV, the DOS
version.
This is a pure text operation and I am consolidating data from 4
separate systems that do not talk to each other. I know of no windoze
application that would do it without massive amounts of new data
entry.

It actually felt good to dust off my old coding skills and write the
routines that were able to merge all of these formats into a single
searchable database.

I have an old Thinkpad with DOS 6,3 loaded on it and I am thinking
about putting the key application on it just for old times sake ;-)

This is a P1 100 machine with 64 meg on it and DOS runs like a scalded
dog. You can "ramdisk" all of your DASD into memory and crunching
databases really screams. These databases really only have 400 records
in one and 130 in the other so it is fast anyway.

I am also working on the interactive map application that will let you
click on a lot and get all of the data for that owner, similar to the
LEEPA..ORG property appraiser site. That will be web based so it is a
it more GUI intensive. I am still using my dBase application to
develop the data for that application, exporting it as TXT files that
the web site will access.

LEEPA..ORG ? Tell me more. I use Zillow but it is only fairly accurate
with historical data and estimates are off too.

--

Respectfully submitted by Justan

Laugh of the day from Krause

"I'm not to blame anymore for the atmosphere in here.
I've been "born again" as a nice guy."

wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

I've been happy with 7, although I still have problems with Firefox.

No surprise.

I've never been able to figure out why he has problems with Firefox.
I've used it exclusively for years on XP, Vista, Win 7 and occasionally
on a Win 8 computer. My wife uses it on her iMac as well.
Never had any issues or problems with browsing or viewing videos.

It has to be something in how he has it set up or possibly missing
a required Flash driver.

wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

I haven't had a windows 8 crash yet. That's gotta count for something,
eh? And touch screen gesturing makes some tasks easier and quicker.

Hows that motorhome working out for you? Got any trips planned up this way?
--

Guns don't cause problems. Gun owner
*behavior* causes problems.

wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

I've been happy with 7, although I still have problems with Firefox.

No surprise.

I've never been able to figure out why he has problems with Firefox.
I've used it exclusively for years on XP, Vista, Win 7 and occasionally
on a Win 8 computer. My wife uses it on her iMac as well.
Never had any issues or problems with browsing or viewing videos.

It has to be something in how he has it set up or possibly missing
a required Flash driver.

Don't feel bad, I've not either.

If I have Firefox as my default browser and click on a link here or in Outlook or any
place which requires Firefox to open, then the video will not play. I'll get a Flash
Drive error window. Sometimes that error window will keep popping up until I shut
down the program with Task Manager.

If I have Firefox opened and click on a link or paste a video URL in the window,
everything operates just fine.

So, I use Internet Explorer as the default. But if just using the browser, then I'll
open and use Firefox.

Strange. It may be a setting somewhere, but damn if I can figure it out.

wrote:

It has to be something in how he has it set up or possibly missing
a required Flash driver.

===

Or possibly an interaction with ad blocking or anti virus software. I
use Firefox (with Win 7) most of the time but certain videos will not
play unless I switch to Internet Explorer.

wrote:

[...]

Save your data and do a hard reformat of your C drive. Reinstall Windoze
and only those programs you actually use. Reinstall a fresh copy of Firefox.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

wrote:

[...]

Shockwave plug in. There are two types. You need both. The Firefox
Help website can instruct.

wrote:

It has to be something in how he has it set up or possibly missing
a required Flash driver.

===

Or possibly an interaction with ad blocking or anti virus software. I
use Firefox (with Win 7) most of the time but certain videos will not
play unless I switch to Internet Explorer.

Could be, I suppose. I have "Ad-Block" running and I use AVG for
anti-virus.

Once in a while a site with a video will detect that Ad-Block is enabled
and running and will prevent the video from playing. If I really want
to see it I can do a one time "allow" in the Ad-Block setting, put up
with the advertisement and then see the video. I think it would do the
same in Internet Explorer as well (if you are using Ad-Block).

It only happens once in a great while though. Most of the time I can
view any of the videos (minus the ads) with no problem.

wrote:

http://makeuseof.tradepub.com/free/w_wile155/prgm.cgi

FREE book on Windoze 8. Computer to run it, extra.

===

Just for your obviously lacking information, Windows 8 generally
sucks.

Windows 7 is the good one.

I've been happy with 7, although I still have problems with Firefox.

Firefox is fine. The only real issue with it is Flash Player's security
vulnerabilities. Flash player works fine with I.E.