Default Winding down

The Nor'easter that hit the east coast is finally starting to wind down
here in MA. We officially received 24 inches of snow in our area
near Plymouth although I don't know how they could possibly measure it
and it's still snowing although not as heavily.

The wind was blowing 45 mph constantly for most of the day with gusts to
65 to 75 mph. Huge snow drifts. The coastal areas of Marshfield (next
town north of us) was devastated. Storm surge broke the old sea wall
and many houses and cars were totally flooded or destroyed.

Fortunately we never lost power. It flickered a few times but I think
the work the utility company did over the summer trimming overhanging
tree limbs helped a lot. They are doing this town by town and our town
was done last summer. Many other towns lost power and still don't have
it back.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:53:35 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

The Nor'easter that hit the east coast is finally starting to wind down
here in MA. We officially received 24 inches of snow in our area
near Plymouth although I don't know how they could possibly measure it
and it's still snowing although not as heavily.

The wind was blowing 45 mph constantly for most of the day with gusts to
65 to 75 mph. Huge snow drifts. The coastal areas of Marshfield (next
town north of us) was devastated. Storm surge broke the old sea wall
and many houses and cars were totally flooded or destroyed.

Fortunately we never lost power. It flickered a few times but I think
the work the utility company did over the summer trimming overhanging
tree limbs helped a lot. They are doing this town by town and our town
was done last summer. Many other towns lost power and still don't have
it back.

===

Glad to hear you're OK there. I understand from the news that
Nantucket got hammered pretty badly.

wrote:

The Nor'easter that hit the east coast is finally starting to wind down
here in MA. We officially received 24 inches of snow in our area
near Plymouth although I don't know how they could possibly measure it
and it's still snowing although not as heavily.

===

Glad to hear you're OK there. I understand from the news that
Nantucket got hammered pretty badly.

It was quite a storm, one that we'll be talking about for a few years.
It was bad here but there are others who got it a lot worse. Nantucket
is pretty much without power and the winds are still near or at
hurricane strength so the power companies can't do much. Temps out
there are supposed to go to single digits tonight.

My only problem was a sheet of ice on parts of the driveway. We had a
smaller storm a few days ago that put about 4" of snow down before
changing to rain, saturating the snow. Then the temps dropped well
below freezing and it all froze solid. As a result I could plow the
half of the driveway that is pretty much a straight shot to the road
because I could get up some speed and push the 4' drifts. But up by
the house where I had to start and stop the truck just didn't have
enough traction due to the base ice layer. Got stuck in snow drifts
twice. Finally gave up with the truck and used the tractor to scoop
and dump. It was still snowing heavy so I was soaked and frozen.

Lots of cleanup plowing, shoveling and tractoring to do tomorrow.
Right now I feel like this:

http://tinyurl.com/nzwrdc9

wrote:

[...]

That's gotta be a bitch. Damn, your driveway's damn near as long as Harry's!

Good luck with it.
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.

wrote:

[...]

As of last evening we had a total snowfall of 24" but it kept snowing
until about 2am adding another 4". Too much for the truck to handle,
despite it's best efforts. Just came in to warm up. Been out since 6am
with the tractor, picking and dumping. Almost done but still have
another section to clear. I have no idea how long Harry's driveway is.
Ours is a total of just over 1,000 feet. At 16 feet wide, that's 16,000
square feet of 24" snow that has to be moved.

Scituate (where I originally kept the boats) and Marshfield got
clobbered with flooding. The sea walls caved and four feet of sea water
with gigantic waves made their way into people's houses and businesses.

wrote:

[...]

Holy crap. Glad to hear you're OK, but sorry to hear about all the bad news up there. Wonder if
those folks had flood insurance.

What a bitch!

On 1/28/2015 9:43 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
I have no idea how long Harry's driveway is.
Ours is a total of just over 1,000 feet. At 16 feet wide, that's 16,000
square feet of 24" snow that has to be moved.

To put things into perspective, Harry has 1000 feet of drive way too.
!000 square feet, that is. ;-)

--

Respectfully submitted by Justan

Laugh of the day from Krause

"I'm not to blame anymore for the atmosphere in here.
I've been "born again" as a nice guy."

wrote:

[...]

Was very sad to look at the cars mostly under water and top covered with
snow in this mornings paper. Picture of Scituate.

wrote:

[...]

Arrgh. That's a lotta snow.

When we first moved here, ours was for several winter months the only
house on our private road. So, it was 120' approximately from our garage
door to the private road, 200' along the private road to a circular area
whose ownership was still hazy, and another 100 feet or so to the county
road.

So, that first winter I had to pay twice, I think, for a plow guy to do
our driveway, the private road from our driveway to the traffic circle,
through the traffic circle and then, finally, to the county road, which
the county plowed. We had, in effect, a 400-500' driveway that had to be
plowed. $200 a pop back then.

What a pain in the ass that all was.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

On 1/28/2015 1:43 PM, Justan Olphart wrote:

On 1/28/2015 9:43 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

I have no idea how long Harry's driveway is.
Ours is a total of just over 1,000 feet. At 16 feet wide, that's 16,000
square feet of 24" snow that has to be moved.

To put things into perspective, Harry has 1000 feet of drive way too.
!000 square feet, that is. ;-)

Sounds pretty good to me right about now.