Default Turbo Tax Ripoff

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:34:09 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:11:26 -0500, Poquito Loco
wrote:

TT does a good job with Sch K now. Pretty simple. I remember helping an officer do his taxes while
in Germany. The Sch K took several hours for me to do (much of which was trying to figure out what
to do). The final result was a savings of about $11 in his taxes. Unreal.

Exactly my experience.
I assume the IRS does not even look at these things if you do not have
$100k or more in the partnership.
I am hooked up with Carl Ichan now and he is making me money but when
I look at the numbers on the K-1, it is $5 here and $10 there across
about 10 forms.
This all started with a $10k flier in a partnership called American
Property Investors. For years I was getting a $1000-1500 deduction and
a check.
After 1986, not so much and it looked like I was done. I did pass up a
few chances to be bought out for an insulting amount. Then Icahn
bought it and it came alive again. I am getting a couple grand a year
now. I don't have a clue what I could sell it for. I really do not
have a clue what I would say my basis would be on that. Things like
recaptured depreciation and such might come up to bite me ... if the
IRS actually knows themselves.

My experience, above, was in the late 80's. During my first year with Wells Fargo, after doing the
Sch K, with TurboTax, I called and told them no more Sch K. I'd forego all the 'tax advantages'.
Even with TT the damn thing is a PITA.
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:31:34 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/27/2015 11:00 AM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Now *this* ****es me off!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intuit-k...est-1422149606

I called the number in the article and was told I wouldn't have to upgrade to file Schedule D (after
a lot of whining and complaining). Next year may be a different story.

If anyone wants to call and bitch, the number is in the article. Might do some good.

Doesn't Wal-Mart have some cheap software you could use?

That made me laugh.

wrote:

On 1/27/2015 11:00 AM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Now *this* ****es me off!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intuit-k...est-1422149606

I called the number in the article and was told I wouldn't have to upgrade to file Schedule D (after
a lot of whining and complaining). Next year may be a different story.

If anyone wants to call and bitch, the number is in the article. Might do some good.

Doesn't Wal-Mart have some cheap software you could use?

That made me laugh.

China makes some good software. ;-)

Mikek

wrote:

On 1/27/2015 11:00 AM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Now *this* ****es me off!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intuit-k...est-1422149606

I called the number in the article and was told I wouldn't have to upgrade to file Schedule D (after
a lot of whining and complaining). Next year may be a different story.

If anyone wants to call and bitch, the number is in the article. Might do some good.

Doesn't Wal-Mart have some cheap software you could use?

That made me laugh.

Yeah, that was so cute!

Welcome back, jps. Hope you didn't miss the pictures of Harry's gun and ammo. Quite impressive.
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.

In article ,
says...

On 1/27/2015 11:00 AM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Now *this* ****es me off!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intuit-k...est-1422149606

I called the number in the article and was told I wouldn't have to upgrade to file Schedule D (after
a lot of whining and complaining). Next year may be a different story.

If anyone wants to call and bitch, the number is in the article. Might do some good.

Doesn't Wal-Mart have some cheap software you could use?

I went to buy TT a couple weeks ago on Amazon and saw the reviews.
One or two stars. The reviews gave fair warning.
I'll still buy it because I don't use Sch D.
The walkthru isn't tedious if you skip most of it, and it picks up all
the info from my previous filing, and downloads most of the rest, and
files the forms for free.
It makes filing taxes painless for me.
If I still filed Sch D I'd pass. Not going to call and beg.
They lost a lot of customers with that "surprise" downgrade.
Walmart may get that business yet.

Boating All Out wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I always wondered why a retailer carried TT or TaxCut. They get one sell,
and then Intuit and Block directly sell to the user. I thought that was a
really scummy business practice.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:04:24 -0600, Boating All Out wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

i switched to TT from Tax Cut because TC couldn't properly handle some rental property numbers.
Never thought of going back, but am now. I'll see what TT is asking for the Premier version next
year. I'm wondering if TC can automatically download all the carryover input from last year's Turbo
Tax.

But then again, $85 sure beats the hell out of many hundreds at H&R Block. If TT had announced last
year that they planned to do this, I'd not be bitching (well, maybe not as much). I can imagine how
****ed I'd be if I had spent the time getting the data into TT only to be told "YOU MUST UPGRADE".
Apparently that happened to a lot of people. Look at the difference in ratings for the 2014 Deluxe
version versus the 2013 Deluxe version.

And I don't think it was a software problem. Intuit ****ed up. But, I'll probably pay the additional
bucks next year.
--

Guns don't cause problems. The behavior
of certain gun owners causes problems.

wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:00:06 -0500, Poquito Loco
wrote:

Now *this* ****es me off!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/intuit-k...est-1422149606

I called the number in the article and was told I wouldn't have to
upgrade to file Schedule D (after
a lot of whining and complaining). Next year may be a different story.

If anyone wants to call and bitch, the number is in the article. Might do some good.

I heard they were not going to support the schedule C on the home
owner version but not doing the D is ridiculous.
I haven't used Turbotax since I had my business but I was able to do
it on the home version.
These days I just download the forms on IDF and fill them out with
Adobe. The only thing is I have to do all of the math. (no big deal
with a $2 calculator). If they would put this in an Excel script, it
would be real easy but I bet the tax accountants and tax software
people would bitch about it.

I actually thought the whole "interview" process in TurboTax was
getting more cumbersome than simply filling out the forms anyway.

I tossed turbo tax the year after they put the anti copy stuff in to the
program and wrote in a hidden partician on the drive. Could not get turbo
tax to run the next year. And we're legally bought copies. So have used
Taxcut since then. And the next door neighbor is even the Head Hunter for
Intuit so could probably get it free.

Yippee! I got my new Turbo Tax! John H.[_5_] General 3 November 30th 13 12:46 AM
Sticky Turbo David.Parry Cruising 0 October 14th 06 06:45 PM
Kia Sedona ripoff jlrogers ASA 0 May 26th 06 03:13 AM
Marina Ripoff Falky foo Cruising 2 February 20th 05 09:57 PM