Default Best Ad Blocker

I've read lots of reviews of various ad blockers, many of which are
horrible.

Anyone using one that does the job well? And on which browser is it
being used?
--

"The modern definition of 'ingrained racist' is someone who's winning an argument
with a couple liberals."

(Thanks, Luddite!)

On 12/12/2014 8:38 AM, Toad Gigger wrote:
I've read lots of reviews of various ad blockers, many of which are
horrible.

Anyone using one that does the job well? And on which browser is it
being used?

Ad Blocker Plus.
Using it with Firefox but have also used it with Chrome and Safari.
Currently using it on Win Vista and Win 7 computers. Used it on iMac also.

It's configurable but you need to learn and understand how streaming
video works from some sources in order to set it up correctly otherwise
you'll be back complaining that it doesn't work for you or you can't
see any videos.

I don't see ads or videos on websites unless I allow them. No ads on
Facebook or on Harry's Photobucket posts.

excellent reviews:

http://download.cnet.com/Adblock-Plus-for-Mozilla-Firefox/3000-11745_4-10636539.html

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:43:51 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I looked at that one, but the reviews of the current version
(only 2) are horrible.
--

"The modern definition of 'ingrained racist' is someone who's winning an argument
with a couple liberals."

(Thanks, Luddite!)
KC KC is offline

wrote:

[...]

Got sick of tweaking blockers so I just let them go. So what if I see an
ad about Guitars or Epoxy if that's what I have been looking for on line
lately... If an ad pops up, I just click the x...

wrote:

[...]

I've gotten a couple today that took up the whole screen and did not
have an 'x' to click. The 'esc' key wouldn't work, so I had to close
the tab. 'PC Magazine'.

wrote:

[...]

Herring and PsychoScotty...Mr. and Mrs. Hi-Tech.

--
I feel no need to explain my politics to stupid right-wingers.
After all, I am *not* the Jackass Whisperer.
KC KC is offline

wrote:

[...]

I have gotten to the point where if something like that happens I just
close the window and move on... I am sure the info is out there
somewhere else

On 12/12/14 12:22 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/12/2014 12:07 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:38:40 -0500, Toad Gigger
wrote:

I've read lots of reviews of various ad blockers, many of which are
horrible.

Anyone using one that does the job well? And on which browser is it
being used?

I have some kind of plug in for firefox that blocks most of them but I
still end up turning it off because a couple of government web sites I
use a lot, use popups.
They are unusable with the blocker on.
It is just lazy programming. They probably hired a guy who was in the
advertising business and that was the only way he knew to link a page.

Ad-Block Plus is pretty good, I think. It's not perfect but you don't
realize how well it works until you disable it for some reason. I had
forgotten how cluttered the web has become with ads.

The only issue is on some types of streaming downloads, like videos and
some news slide shows that Yahoo does. Sometimes an ad is embedded as
an integral part of a streaming download rather than a stand-alone file.
In that case Ad-Block recognizes the start of the download as being an
advertisement and blocks the whole thing. Fortunately this doesn't
happen on most.
For example, without Ad-Block many of YouTube videos start with an ad.
I never see them. It goes directly to the video you are expecting to see.

But, but, but...it's soooo difficult.

--
Let’s elect a gay black woman with a latino lover president,
if only for the possibility of provoking a right-wing mass suicide.