Default Plumbing Repairs Suck

So the popup drain in the bathroom sink needs replacing. No biggee. Go
to Home Depot and get one for $19.

This morning I crawl under the sink to remove the old drain. Had to
remove the 'p' trap. The threads on the 'p' trap are all stripped, but
the last 'fixer' had used enough plumber's putty that it didn't leak.
When I tried to put the nut on the 'p' trap, the side that goes to the
wall, it wouldn't start.

No sweat. Take the old trap to HD and try to find a replacement. Can't
find it. Get some help. Guy says, "That's ABS which was outlawed 15
years ago."

Guess what, I didn't die 15 years ago. So he says it's all PVC now and
takes me to the PVC aisle. Loads me up with a bunch of PVC parts,
several of which have to be glued together, after I cut off the elbow
on the pipe, ABS, coming out of the wall. I don't like the idea of
cutting pipes coming out of walls.

Maybe I should call one of those union plumber guys that charge $90 to
show up and then about $50 for each 15 minutes thereafter.

Seems like the plumbing stuff used to be a lot simpler.
--

"The modern definition of 'racist' is someone who's winning an argument
with a liberal."

....Peter Brimelow (Author)
(Thanks, Luddite!)
Tim Tim is offline

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 3:09:40 PM UTC-7, John H. wrote:
[...]

Sure!you that's what Harry does, and know the more yo pay the better quality work you will receive..
Banned

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:09:40 PM UTC-4, John H. wrote:

Seems like the plumbing stuff used to be a lot simpler.

It still is...but to a dumbass like you, its Brain Surgery.

You need an IQ over 85 to do Plumbing...so I guess that means you're out, herring.

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 21:04:15 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 18:09:52 -0400, Poco Loco
wrote:

[...]

The HD guy is FOS on the ABS being illegal. nuff said but I agree
everyone uses PVC now.
You should be able to get a PVC compression coupling with a white
nylon bushing that slips over the stub in the wall. (1 1/2 I bet)
You just snug that down and build back to the sink from there with the
PVC parts.
Push come to shove you use a Fernco fitting (basically a piece of hose
and 2 hose clamps)

===

I hate plumbing and the feeling is mutual. Hose clamps I understand
however.

On 11/1/2014 5:09 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

You mean to say you did a plumbing job and only had to go to the
hardware store two times?
I think there is an award in your future.
Plumbing jobs always take three trips to the hardware store.

Mikek

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 15:28:47 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

[...]

Another good reason to go with a union plumber.

wrote:

[...]

It could be the county code was changed a long while back. He sold me
a coupling to join the abs from the wall to a piece of pvc I'll have
to cut to make fit. The hard part, from just thinking about it, will
be measuring the piece I cut so everything lines up. I suppose I can
try to align everything very quickly while the glue is still liquid.

wrote:

[...]

I suppose if I screw this up badly enough I can always go back to hose
clamps - that Fernco fitting Greg mentioned.

wrote:

[...]

Dry fit everything and put witness marks for alignment where each piece
mates to another. Then glue it up. It takes 5 years of aprenticeship for
a union guy to learn that trick. Plumbing failures suck. Plumbing
repairs good. ;-)

anyone used PEX tubing for boat plumbing? surftom Boat Building 11 September 20th 06 10:41 PM
Head Plumbing bushman Cruising 7 August 18th 05 08:48 PM
Plumbing tip: Gould 0738 General 0 September 21st 04 06:01 PM
ABS PLUMBING tbuck Cruising 9 October 3rd 03 04:59 PM
Steve and Plumbing Bobsprit ASA 26 August 6th 03 01:29 AM