Default Plumbing Repairs Suck

On 11/2/2014 8:09 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 21:15:38 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 11/1/2014 5:09 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
So the popup drain in the bathroom sink needs replacing. No biggee. Go
to Home Depot and get one for $19.

This morning I crawl under the sink to remove the old drain. Had to
remove the 'p' trap. The threads on the 'p' trap are all stripped, but
the last 'fixer' had used enough plumber's putty that it didn't leak.
When I tried to put the nut on the 'p' trap, the side that goes to the
wall, it wouldn't start.

No sweat. Take the old trap to HD and try to find a replacement. Can't
find it. Get some help. Guy says, "That's ABS which was outlawed 15
years ago."

Guess what, I didn't die 15 years ago. So he says it's all PVC now and
takes me to the PVC aisle. Loads me up with a bunch of PVC parts,
several of which have to be glued together, after I cut off the elbow
on the pipe, ABS, coming out of the wall. I don't like the idea of
cutting pipes coming out of walls.

Maybe I should call one of those union plumber guys that charge $90 to
show up and then about $50 for each 15 minutes thereafter.

Seems like the plumbing stuff used to be a lot simpler.
--

"The modern definition of 'racist' is someone who's winning an argument
with a liberal."

...Peter Brimelow (Author)
(Thanks, Luddite!)

You mean to say you did a plumbing job and only had to go to the
hardware store two times?
I think there is an award in your future.
Plumbing jobs always take three trips to the hardware store.

Mikek

I'm not done yet.

You can do it in less trips if you take a picture of the whole project
and bring it with you to the big box store.

On 11/2/2014 7:56 AM, Harrold wrote:
On 11/2/2014 8:09 AM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 21:15:38 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 11/1/2014 5:09 PM, Poco Loco wrote:

You mean to say you did a plumbing job and only had to go to the
hardware store two times?
I think there is an award in your future.
Plumbing jobs always take three trips to the hardware store.

Mikek

I'm not done yet.

You can do it in less trips if you take a picture of the whole project
and bring it with you to the big box store.

Recently while scrubbing the burned crud from bottom of a pot my wife
bought at a yard sale, I poked the handle through the strainer in the
drain of the kitchen sink. So I decided to change both while doing the
repair. I bought two new drains and installed them. They both leaked,
yes, I used plumbers putty and tightened as much as I could. So, I
attempted to remove them, no luck the SS had galled on both, I had to
cut the nuts off with my dremel. I bought two new drains with a
different mounting system, three bolts that secure the drain.
I got the new drains installed with no leaks. Well, except for the
attached drain pipes. So back to the hardware store, rather then screw
with it, I bought all new parts for the pipe repair. It's all good for now.
Yes, that was three trips to the hardware store. Luckily I have a
Lowes and Home Depot less than 2 miles from home.
Mikek

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 08:27:05 -0600, amdx wrote:

[...]

All these trips to Home Depot just give me an excuse for a motorcycle
ride.

On 11/2/2014 12:27 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of shopping at the local Home Depot when we were in Florida.
I went to get something and got carried away spending over an hour
buying a bunch of stuff for projects I had in mind. I had wood, a big
box with something in it that I forget, some tools and a pile of other
"stuff". Had to put it all on one of those rolling carts to carry it all.

Paid for everything, pushed the cart out to the parking lot and only
then did I remember that I had driven the Harley.

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:36:14 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Heh! When I was building my shop, the bricklayers had come to brick it up, and we discovered that the brick company had forgotten to deliver the lentil (steel angle iron) used over the window openings. I offered to go pick them up while they started the work. My daily at that time was the Boxster.. The guys at the brick yard said "nice work truck!" :-) They just barely fit in the trunk. Good thing they did deliver the lentil for the 16' wide garage door.

[...]

anyone used PEX tubing for boat plumbing? surftom Boat Building 11 September 20th 06 10:41 PM
Head Plumbing bushman Cruising 7 August 18th 05 08:48 PM
Plumbing tip: Gould 0738 General 0 September 21st 04 06:01 PM
ABS PLUMBING tbuck Cruising 9 October 3rd 03 04:59 PM
Steve and Plumbing Bobsprit ASA 26 August 6th 03 01:29 AM