BoatBanter.com

-   -   boating today. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/161861-boating-today.html)

Harrold September 19th 14 06:09 PM

boating today.

On 9/19/2014 12:48 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 19, 2014 11:52:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:31:47 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 9/18/14 11:07 PM,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:38:26 -0400, Harrold wrote:

You should be able to buy a Morse or Teleflex cable for around $50 unless

Yamaha does cables differently than everyone else.

Problem is which Morse number.

Call a parts house. You pretty much only need to specify length.

Transfer ends from one cable to the other.

Yup that is how Yamaha cables work.

You buy the generic cable with threaded ends and you get the

appropriate adapter kits for the terminations.

When I got my cables they were about $50 each for the new "slick"

Yamaha branded cable (TFX or something like that)

I got them online.

In the good old days, when one of my father's customers swamped or sank

a boat, or it went down in a storm and was rescued, the throttle and

shift control cable to the outboard usually froze up because of sand or

corrosion. One of the shop guys would remove the ends, pull the inner

metal cables out of their rubbery covers, and either replace the cables

or clean and grease them and put them back in. Back in those days, labor

was still less expensive than new parts, and the controls were

mechanical. These days, sadly, most outboard controls from the helm are

electronic.

I have not seen any fly by wire outboards yet. They have them but they

are certainly not all that common.

It is not even an option on small and midrange outboards.

The Yamaha "command link" is just instrumentation. I know there is

"Electronic Command"

You usually would only see the electronic controllers on trips or

quads and that is people for whom money is no object.

The new Mercury Verado line are electronic throttle and shift. Some of the big, top line Yamahas are as well. It's likely that 80% of what's sold is still mechanical.

F.O.A.D. September 19th 14 06:14 PM

boating today.

wrote:
[...]

I just saw three outboard rigs with Mercs set up with electronic
controls. Perhaps they're not yet available on the edge of Camp Swampy,
where you live, but they are available up north. I'd guess Yamaha had
them, too.

Harrold September 19th 14 06:15 PM

boating today.

On 9/18/14 11:07 PM, wrote:

[...]

TR1 is an electronic steering for kickers. But most are still mechanical.
Problem with the Yamaha shift cable is the length. Is 27 inches. And all
the Teleflex / Morse cables I see are in even foot lengths.

If you can't make do with a generic, you might have to pay the OEM prices.

[email protected] September 19th 14 06:25 PM

boating today.

wrote:

[...]

Three does not equal "most".

Wayne.B September 19th 14 06:36 PM

boating today.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:25:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I just saw three outboard rigs with Mercs set up with electronic

controls. Perhaps they're not yet available on the edge of Camp Swampy,

where you live, but they are available up north. I'd guess Yamaha had

them, too.

"These days, sadly, most outboard controls from the helm are electronic."

Three does not equal "most".

===

Harry has comprehension problems.

F.O.A.D. September 19th 14 07:00 PM

boating today.

On 9/19/14, 1:43 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:14:25 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 9/19/14, 11:52 AM,
wrote:

I have not seen any fly by wire outboards yet. They have them but they
are certainly not all that common.
It is not even an option on small and midrange outboards.
The Yamaha "command link" is just instrumentation. I know there is
"Electronic Command"
You usually would only see the electronic controllers on trips or
quads and that is people for whom money is no object.

I just saw three outboard rigs with Mercs set up with electronic
controls. Perhaps they're not yet available on the edge of Camp Swampy,
where you live, but they are available up north. I'd guess Yamaha had
them, too.

Like someone posted above some of the larger motors have them but not
midrange. The electronic control only makes sense on triple and quad
installations and that is how Yamaha markets it.

From their site
"For multiple-engine applications, these controls feature automatic
engine RPM synchronization. Not only that, but in quad configurations,
the control box syncs port and port center engines together, and
starboard and starboard center engines together. Commanding hundreds
of horses doesn’t get much easier than this."

In a single or even twin installation it just looks like unnecessary
complexity for a fairly simple operation. I am not surprised that they
try to sell it on high end engines since I am sure it is a very
profitable option for them.
It looks like it is only standard on the V-8, it is an option on the
V-6 (on the Yamaha site)
The inline motors don't even seem to offer it. (200 and below)

The outboards and boats I was looking at this morning (I had an hour to
kill before a meeting near BWI) all were electronically controlled. I'll
have to stop at my friendly Deale dealer and see what is coming with the
new Gradys and Parkers and Yamahas. I don't pay much attention to
smaller outboards.

Poco Loco September 26th 14 02:07 PM

boating today.

wrote:
[...]

My outboard, Yamaha 150, was not electronically controlled. Don't know
where Krause comes up with his crap.

F*O*A*D September 26th 14 02:32 PM

boating today.

wrote:
[...]

How's your brother doing?

F*O*A*D September 26th 14 03:51 PM

boating today.

On 9/26/14 10:41 AM, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The best I can tell none of the inline motors even offer electronic
controls (200). If the model number ends in an A it is mechanical and
B means electronic. (like F250*A and F250*B)

Once again, a number of the outboard rigs I looked at recently at a
dealer's showroom had electronic controls. I suspect a lot of rigs on
display at the upcoming Ft. Lauderdale and Miami boat shows will have
outboards with electronic controls, and in the not so distant future,
the electronic controls will extend downward into the inline cylinder
head engines. In the end, it will be cheaper to control outboards
electronically.