Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Calculating S.S. benefit at 62 vs 66

I want to clarify the method used to calculate the value of S.S. When
taken at 62yrs vs 66yrs.

I'll assume the following benefits $1,500 at 62 and $2,049 at 66.

1500 x 1nn% = yy or one month benefit plus interest
yy x 1nn% = yy or two months benefit plus interest
…....
…....
yy x 1nn% =yy or 12 months benefit plus interest

yy minus taxes paid = new yy

repeat for 4 years and save yearly values

""I will use this calculator to do this.""
http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/fin...calculator.php

Using 8% annual growth compounded monthly.

year one $18,799 minus 15% = $15,979
year two $36,105 minus 15% = $30,689
year three $52,036 minus 15% = $44,231
year four $66,702 minus 15% = $56,697

$56,697 x 0.08% = $4,536*
$4,536 is the interest earned on four years of savings.

$1,500 x 12 mo = $18,000 Yearly Benefit at 62.

If I add $4,536* to $18,000 = $22,436
Benefit at 62 plus interested earned on 4 years of savings.

$2,049 x 12mo = $24,588 Benefit at 66

$24,588 - $22,436 = ($2,052)

So the 62yr benefit saved for four years plus interest is $2052 less
than 66 yr benefit.
Or you could make up the difference for about 20 years by spending
enough of the savings to be even. This has to be calculated to find
exactly how many years, but it's not simple.

Ok this is my first iteration.
I think 8% interest is optimistic.
I know I could add in COLA, but it goes into both so I think it's a wash.
What should I change?

Mikek

Calculating Prop Shaft Diameter Michael Boat Building 4 December 26th 06 10:35 PM
Calculating rudder Darkwyx Boat Building 0 October 23rd 06 10:49 PM
calculating boat speed Barry General 17 May 11th 05 04:07 PM
Calculating distance from Lat/Long Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 36 December 30th 03 11:44 AM
Calculating distance from Lat/Long Lloyd Sumpter Electronics 16 December 30th 03 11:44 AM