Default Calculating S.S. benefit at 62 vs 66

I want to clarify the method used to calculate the value of S.S. When
taken at 62yrs vs 66yrs.

I'll assume the following benefits $1,500 at 62 and $2,049 at 66.

1500 x 1nn% = yy or one month benefit plus interest
yy x 1nn% = yy or two months benefit plus interest
…....
…....
yy x 1nn% =yy or 12 months benefit plus interest

yy minus taxes paid = new yy

repeat for 4 years and save yearly values

""I will use this calculator to do this.""
http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/fin...calculator.php

Using 8% annual growth compounded monthly.

year one $18,799 minus 15% = $15,979
year two $36,105 minus 15% = $30,689
year three $52,036 minus 15% = $44,231
year four $66,702 minus 15% = $56,697

$56,697 x 0.08% = $4,536*
$4,536 is the interest earned on four years of savings.

$1,500 x 12 mo = $18,000 Yearly Benefit at 62.

If I add $4,536* to $18,000 = $22,436
Benefit at 62 plus interested earned on 4 years of savings.

$2,049 x 12mo = $24,588 Benefit at 66

$24,588 - $22,436 = ($2,052)

So the 62yr benefit saved for four years plus interest is $2052 less
than 66 yr benefit.
Or you could make up the difference for about 20 years by spending
enough of the savings to be even. This has to be calculated to find
exactly how many years, but it's not simple.

Ok this is my first iteration.
I think 8% interest is optimistic.
I know I could add in COLA, but it goes into both so I think it's a wash.
What should I change?

Mikek

On 8/10/2014 10:22 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 09:54:41 -0500, amdx wrote:

[...]

All of these calculations assume SS will continue forever at the
current pace. (benefits ratio, COLAs, tax treatment etc)

That's about all we can do, my crystal ball works great except when
I use it to predict the future.

It is clear that there is a move to "reform" the program and that
means reduced benefits somewhere.
The last "reform" started taxing 85% of the benefits at normal tax
rates for anyone who has any other significant income.
Taking your required withdrawals from your 401k will put most people
over this threshold. A pension is a slam dunk.

I just hope they don't means test or asset test.
I suspect if you earned it and saved it, they'll find a way
to get it.
Mikek

---

wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 15:30:01 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 8/10/2014 10:22 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Count on it. The millennials are going to throw grandma from the
(gravy) train as soon as they figure out how to vote.
The idea that the money in your 401k will be taxed at a lower rate
than when you were working is a joke.

SS is going to be a means tested welfare program.

This is funny no matter what side you're on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pqmW-D14I

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 21:13:01 -0400, BAR wrote:

The idea that the money in your 401k will be taxed at a lower rate
than when you were working is a joke.

SS is going to be a means tested welfare program.

There is nothing stopping you from pulling money out of your 401k/IRA
when you are 59 1/2 and investing it in other investment vehicles.

===

What stops you is having all of your funds become immediately taxable.
You're far better off to let your returns roll forward untaxed until
you withdraw them. I'm personally of the opinion that it is better to
roll 401K money into an IRA however. An IRA usually offers lower
fees and a wider choice of investments.

BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 09:54:41 -0500, amdx wrote:

I want to clarify the method used to calculate the value of S.S. When
taken at 62yrs vs 66yrs.

I'll assume the following benefits $1,500 at 62 and $2,049 at 66.

1500 x 1nn% = yy or one month benefit plus interest
yy x 1nn% = yy or two months benefit plus interest
?....
?....
[...]

You pay taxes now or later. I go later. And all my 401k's are now IRAs.

On 8/10/2014 11:41 PM, Califbill wrote:
BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Just a note:
Many accountants think that tax rates will be higher in the future
because of the huge debt we have. Because of this they are suggesting
Roth IRAs instead of the traditional tax deductible IRA.
Mikek

On 8/12/14, 8:59 AM, amdx wrote:
On 8/10/2014 11:41 PM, Califbill wrote:
BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

So your accountants think the tax codes on the various forms of IRAs
can't change?

On 8/12/2014 8:49 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 8/12/14, 8:59 AM, amdx wrote:
On 8/10/2014 11:41 PM, Califbill wrote:
BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Taxes and tax codes are not subjects you should be discussing openly,
unless, of course, you would care to enlighten us on your tax
delinquencies and difficulties with the IRS and the courts.

--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of

amdx wrote:
On 8/10/2014 11:41 PM, Califbill wrote:
BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

The problem with Roth IRA's is to move my traditional IRA's to Roth, I have
to give up 35-39% of the money up front. Even with increasing tax rates, I
doubt I can recover the differences in the rest of my life.

On Tuesday, 12 August 2014 11:33:16 UTC-3, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 07:59:23 -0500, amdx wrote:

Just a note:

Many accountants think that tax rates will be higher in the future

because of the huge debt we have. Because of this they are suggesting

Roth IRAs instead of the traditional tax deductible IRA.

Mikek

That assumes the government would not change the tax code on a Roth. I

am old enough to remember when they said Social Security would never

be taxed ... because you already paid taxes on that money ... just

like a Roth.

When it comes to the government ****ing you, just plan on it.

Wow!
We pay both federal and provincial income tax on anything over our basic exemption, which is around 11k and another $2K if on pension plus I get another $7K because I turn 65 this month.
After that everything is taxed at the rate of the income category you fall in... and yes that's all pensions, interest received on investments, monies taken out of RRSPs etc.

Y'all have been spoiled down there and the chickens are coming home to roost.

Calculating Prop Shaft Diameter Michael Boat Building 4 December 26th 06 10:35 PM
Calculating rudder Darkwyx Boat Building 0 October 23rd 06 10:49 PM
calculating boat speed Barry General 17 May 11th 05 04:07 PM
Calculating distance from Lat/Long Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 36 December 30th 03 11:44 AM
Calculating distance from Lat/Long Lloyd Sumpter Electronics 16 December 30th 03 11:44 AM