jps jps is offline

Default Wives and Guns

Not a good mix, evidently...

The new report from Everytown for Gun Safety and Moms Demand Action
for Gun Sense: “Guns and Violence Against Women – America’s Uniquely
Lethal Domestic Abuse Problem” opens with a tragically unsurprising
story: a woman who’d been abused by her husband for years sought and
received a restraining order.

While this should, under federal law, have prevented him from buying a
firearm, the man exploited a loophole and bought a gun from an
unlicensed online seller, avoiding a background check.

Three days later, he shot and killed his wife.

As the report explains, and common sense would indicate, preventing
abusers from obtaining (or keeping) firearms is an evidence-based way
to protect women. The federal government and many states have enacted
laws to reflect this reality, but gaps and loopholes make it far too
easy for abusers to access guns – and women suffer the consequences.

A survey of women living in California domestic violence shelters, for
example, showed that about two-thirds of the women who lived in
households with guns reported that their partner had used the gun
against them, usually by threatening to shoot or kill her. And
California is not unusual. Research compiled by Everytown shows:

- American women are 11 times more likely to be murdered with a gun
than women in any other developed country.

- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation makes it five
times more likely that a woman will be murdered.

- More than half of women murdered with guns in the U.S. in 2010 – at
least 54 percent – were killed by intimate partners or family members.

- Over the past 25 years, more intimate partner homicides in the U.S.
have been committed with guns than with all other weapons combined.

This is also true for mass shootings: an Everytown analysis of every
mass shooting in the U.S. between January 2009 and June 2014
determined that in 57 percent (61 of 107 incidents), the shooter
killed an intimate partner or family member.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:49:54 -0700, jps wrote:

Not a good mix, evidently...

So what's your solution? Are liberals part of the problem also, or is it just conservatives? Haven't
seen you voice any opinions about Krause's arsenal. (Although it does seem to be getting smaller
every day! He must be trying to appease y'all.)

Poquito Loco wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:49:54 -0700, jps wrote:

Not a good mix, evidently...

So what's your solution? Are liberals part of the problem also, or is it
just conservatives? Haven't
seen you voice any opinions about Krause's arsenal. (Although it does
seem to be getting smaller
every day! He must be trying to appease y'all.)

Maybe the wife should learn to shoot the abusive husbands firearms. Less
abusive husbands.

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:51:58 -0500, Califbill wrote:

Poquito Loco wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:49:54 -0700, jps wrote:

Not a good mix, evidently...

So what's your solution? Are liberals part of the problem also, or is it
just conservatives? Haven't
seen you voice any opinions about Krause's arsenal. (Although it does
seem to be getting smaller
every day! He must be trying to appease y'all.)

Maybe the wife should learn to shoot the abusive husbands firearms. Less
abusive husbands.

Sounds reasonable to me. Since my wife learned to shoot, I've not thought about spousal abuse one
time!
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:10:44 -0400, Poquito Loco
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:49:54 -0700, jps wrote:

Not a good mix, evidently...

So what's your solution? Are liberals part of the problem also, or is it just conservatives? Haven't
seen you voice any opinions about Krause's arsenal. (Although it does seem to be getting smaller
every day! He must be trying to appease y'all.)

Why must your mind reduce this to liberals vs. conservatives? Does
everything have to exist in black and white for it to make sense?

I don't really give a **** if you or Harry have guns, you're not my
concern. It's the wide distribution and lack of sales/storage control
and lack of a mental issues/domestic violence policy that cause me
concern.

It doesn't surprised me that brain-stem driven idiots are freaked out
about the government having too much control but show absolutely no
concern for women being lorded over and threatened by their husbands
using guns as a means of terror to cow them into submission.

Makes perfect sense.

wrote:

[...]

Guess what, jps - many Muslims have been lording over, threatening, and even killing women to keep
them cowed into submission - without guns. I've never seen you make a comment about that. Not one
time.

wrote:

[...]

Your fundie christians are working overtime to keep women subservient.
It's been all over the news in the last few months.

So far as I know, they haven't been killing women in mass numbers yet,
but I'm sure they'll get to it...its the crazy fundie way.

--
If right-wing assholes could fly,
rec.boats would be an airport!

[...]

Your lines made no sense at all. I suppose your madame Pelosi farted causing your fingers to tap that out.
Tim Tim is offline

[...]

wow Harry, when has John been hiring christian fundies, especially those who will work overtime? I need to find me some of those because I have a lot of yard work to do up at our farm. Can you hire them through a temp agency?
KC KC is offline

wrote:

[...]

That doesn't score you points at the local pinky raising party

Dogs vs Wives John H[_2_] General 25 July 11th 11 03:00 AM
Wives are fair target, the Spoofer thinks so.....so..... *e#c General 0 January 12th 11 01:38 AM
We need more guns SteveB[_2_] General 47 April 7th 09 08:38 PM