Default Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival - What the hell is that?

A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass Festival is all about. First things
first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to the neighbors:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010113.jpg

Upon arrival, one must set up the trailer in the campsite. Granite Hill Campgrounds has plenty of
sites, but not all have sewer, electric, and water. Ours did, but we reserve it a year in advance.
We've been in this same site for the past several trips:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010124.jpg

The music is what it's all about. Everyone brings their own lawn chairs. The big tent is for rainy
weather, or just getting out of the sun. There's always a scramble for the best places to set up a
chair, but once it's there it's left alone. This pic gives an idea of the number of attendees:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010136.jpg

The rain tent:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010118.jpg

Who could be drawing such a crowd at night when the temp was in the mid-forties?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010154.jpg

Ricky Scaggs, who else?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010149.jpg

My favorite group, the Grascals. The cute gal on the end with the banjo is Kristen Scott Benson, a
spectacular banjo picker!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010142.jpg

The Seldom Scene has been around a long time, and they put on a New Year's Eve show here at the
Birchmere.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010132.jpg

Another favorite, the Dry Branch Fire Squad, does a great job pickin' and singin', and the lead, Ron
Tomason on the right tells some great stories. He's also very, very opinionated, conservatively
speaking of course!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010130.jpg

Not one of my favorites, but a great act anyway, is Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. She gets around
quite a bit.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/P1010121.jpg

Of course, one shouldn't end a picture story without a kind word for what made it
possible..."Thanks, Truck!"
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ng1/BowTie.jpg

On 5/20/14, 2:41 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass Festival is all about. First things
first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to the neighbors:

Wow, the Traveling Herring discovers bluegrass music 50 years after its
heyday, and long after the strictly purely acoustic sound was shattered
by amplified instruments.

Are you also posting on rec.overcommercialized.bluegrass?

On 5/20/2014 4:17 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 5/20/14, 2:41 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass
Festival is all about. First things
first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to
the neighbors:

Wow, the Traveling Herring discovers bluegrass music 50 years after its
heyday, and long after the strictly purely acoustic sound was shattered
by amplified instruments.

Are you also posting on rec.overcommercialized.bluegrass?

Are you also posting on Maryland Shooters? Not likely.

On 5/20/2014 4:17 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 5/20/14, 2:41 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass
Festival is all about. First things
first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to
the neighbors:

Wow, the Traveling Herring discovers bluegrass music 50 years after its
heyday, and long after the strictly purely acoustic sound was shattered
by amplified instruments.

Are you also posting on rec.overcommercialized.bluegrass?

Are you also posting on Maryland Shooters? Not likely.

Poor Harry!

If I were a praying guy, I'd pray every day in thanks that I am not a
right-wing racist piece of crap like you, Herring. Really. Instead, when
I see yet another of your obnoxious posts, I simply give a sigh of relief.

Tim Tim is offline

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:41:34 AM UTC-7, John H. wrote:
[...]

Wow. Great report, John. I'm glad y'all had a great time. There's bluegrass fests all through the mid-western state parks through the summer, and one thing I always liked is in the various campsites, there's always groups of people gathering around one place or another with their instruments singing and playing. A lot of great talent among the crowd alone. Strangers become friends really quickly.

I've never gone away from a blue grass concert or camp disappointed. There's too much fun to be had.
Tim Tim is offline

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:17:43 PM UTC-7, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 5/20/14, 2:41 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:

A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass Festival is all about. First things

first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to the neighbors:

Wow, the Traveling Herring discovers bluegrass music 50 years after its

heyday, and long after the strictly purely acoustic sound was shattered

by amplified instruments.

Are you also posting on rec.overcommercialized.bluegrass?

Oh for pity sake, Harry. Just because you don't appreciate bluegrass doesn't mean you need to condemn those who do.

Bluegrass is very old folk music and traditional. That's why some bluegrass places won't allow electric instruments. Besides, if there wasn't bluegrass, there wouldn't be any Country/Western or electric instrument filled rock.

On Wed, 21 May 2014 00:53:39 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2014 21:38:07 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:17:43 PM UTC-7, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 5/20/14, 2:41 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:

A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass Festival is all about. First things

first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to the neighbors:

Wow, the Traveling Herring discovers bluegrass music 50 years after its

heyday, and long after the strictly purely acoustic sound was shattered

by amplified instruments.

Are you also posting on rec.overcommercialized.bluegrass?

Oh for pity sake, Harry. Just because you don't appreciate bluegrass doesn't mean you need to condemn those who do.

Bluegrass is very old folk music and traditional. That's why some bluegrass places won't allow electric instruments. Besides, if there wasn't bluegrass, there wouldn't be any Country/Western or electric instrument filled rock.

If they don't do it in New Haven Harry doesn't think it is worth
doing.
He lives a very cloistered life and likes to talk like he is a man of
the world with an open mind.
He is the kind of guy who goes to Alaska, shuttles from the cruise
ship to the places the bus takes him and then comes home telling us
how he saw everything.

===

Of course a lot of the folk tunes that were popular in the late
50s/early 60s had their roots in Bluegrass. Basically Harry just
likes to be a snot no matter what the topic is. That's his chosen
personna and he revels in it.

On 5/21/14, 12:38 AM, Tim wrote:
On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:17:43 PM UTC-7, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 5/20/14, 2:41 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:

A few pictures with a bit of narrative to show what a Bluegrass Festival is all about. First things

first - getting the trailer ready to go and showing the rear end to the neighbors:

Wow, the Traveling Herring discovers bluegrass music 50 years after its

heyday, and long after the strictly purely acoustic sound was shattered

by amplified instruments.

Are you also posting on rec.overcommercialized.bluegrass?

Oh for pity sake, Harry. Just because you don't appreciate bluegrass doesn't mean you need to condemn those who do.

Bluegrass is very old folk music and traditional. That's why some bluegrass places won't allow electric instruments. Besides, if there wasn't bluegrass, there wouldn't be any Country/Western or electric instrument filled rock.

And once again, you've come to the wrong conclusion. I did not say or
imply I didn't like bluegrass music. I find it humorous Herring
"discovered" it 50 years after its heyday. I'm not a fan of electrified
bluegrass.

wrote:

[...]

As a matter of fact, Connecticut had a lively bluegrass/folk scene 50-60
years ago, as did the rest of New England.

Rain and bluegrass Tim General 1 May 9th 14 02:09 PM
Nova Scotia Bluegrass... John H[_2_] General 1 September 10th 13 07:52 PM
Another reason I like Bluegrass! Salmonbait[_2_] General 5 February 15th 13 01:25 PM
Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival JohnH[_4_] General 7 August 21st 12 09:36 PM
Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival...only a little OT. John H.[_5_] General 2 May 24th 12 03:47 PM