Default Here come da Judge...

On 3/30/14, 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:11:27 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 3/30/14, 11:23 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 05:49:50 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:30:34 AM UTC-7, John H. wrote:

I'm wondering if the .45ACP capability of the S&W is worth it. How hard is .45 Colt to come by. I

sure don't ever see it in my favorite, most beloved, WalMart store.

Probably harder than you think, and more than you care.

I like the LC but not every place has it because there's not much demand for it.

I think the attractiveness of .45 ACP is that they tend to go cheaper
than .45 LC

If you shoot a lot, this can make a lot of difference.

The attractiveness of the .45 ACP has a lot to do with the fact that the
round, its size, its casing, its powder charge, were redesigned for
semi-auto pistols, while the .45 LC round is used mostly in revolvers
and "cowboy" style lever-action rifles. There are far more "Automatic
Colt Pistols" in use these days, I would guess, than .45 LC wheel guns.
You are also correct that the ACP rounds are cheaper..about half the
price these days of a LC round.

http://tinyurl.com/kw9qz8b

The real problem with .45LC is the archaic history of it. A commercial
loader is pretty much limited to 14,000 PSI pressures where a .45 ACP
can load over 20,000 PSI.
Those are both over 100 years old tho. When you look at modern stuff
like .357SIG you see what you can do with a modern round in a modern
gun.

If you have a modern gun, know what it is capable of and load yourself
you could get .45LC up to .44mag performance. The problem is if some
yahoo put that round in an old .45, you have a grenade.
Personally, if I wanted a big bore revolver, I would go with a .44 mag
in the first place. Then I would have a great range of off the shelf
ammo. You can shoot anything from a very modest .44 spl to a hot .44
mag. Wheel gun guys should really look at reloading anyway. Catching
the brass in not a problem and cheap cast bullets are a viable
alternative to pricy factory jacketed stuff for your day to day
plinking.
If you are willing to cast your own bullets, you can shoot .45 for
about 6-8 cents a shot. That assumes your time is not as important as
your money. I used to reload pistol but I never fooled with shotgun
and I did not cast my own bullets.

I would guess a huge percentage of guys shooting .45 Colt are engaged in
"cowboy" shooting, and are not looking for high pressures. I've even
seen some .45 in what was called Smith & Wesson .45, a round shorter
than the .45 Colt round.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 14:56:55 -0400, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:06:08 PM UTC-7, Earl wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:

On 3/29/2014 9:45 AM, Poquito Loco wrote:

...by Taurus, that is! I'm thinking global warming may cause an

infusion of rattlesnakes into the

Northern Virginia/Southern Maryland/Washington DC area, and therefore

I may have need of one of

these two revolvers:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=Revolver&toggle=&bread crumbseries=41

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_827547_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Anyone own one of these? I like the idea that the S&W will fire the

.45 ACP. The Taurus, from what I

see, is limited to the .45 Colt, as far as .45 caliber goes.

Anyone? Who knows, maybe those damn pythons will work their way up here!

Just a comment:

A major gun dealership in my area states unequivocally on their

website that they will *not* stock or sell handguns made by Taurus

citing poor quality, almost non-existent customer service and having

had major issues with the company.

Taurus is a Brazilian gun manufacturing company.

Mine says "Made In Brazil" Taurus, Miami, FL.

For what you get, I think the pricing is a tad much, but not unreasonable. I don't know, I haven't been in the firearm marked for about 15 years.

Just buy the Smith & Wesson Governor. Holds six rounds of .410, 45 LC
and 45 ACP.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory4_750001_
750051_769651_-1_757767_757751_image

I'm gonna wait 'til the pythons get closer.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

They'll offer you professional courtesy as a fellow snake in the grass.
Tim Tim is offline

[...]

Never been around one, but the price scares me away...

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

What is the fascination here with these big caliber, lightweight, short
barrel revolvers?

[...]

Yeah, I can do without it for a while.
Tim Tim is offline

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:14:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I would guess a huge percentage of guys shooting .45 Colt are engaged in

"cowboy" shooting, and are not looking for high pressures. I've even

seen some .45 in what was called Smith & Wesson .45, a round shorter

than the .45 Colt round.

If you are not in actual "cowboy" competition I am still not sure what

the attractiveness if .45LC is.

I imagine you could shoot a "SA Army" type, 44 mag revolver, with .44

spc loads.

It gives you some real bang if you need it., soft pop if you don't.

I rarely use it, but it'shandy in case I do need it. But I mainly shoot .44 Smith's in my magnum. less racket and recoil. if I can't do thee job with a Smith round, I'm sure not going it do it with a Mag. round either.

On 3/30/14, 9:14 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 15:28:26 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You are mentally limiting what others might do by what you might do.
Some like the Colt round and pistol for nostalgic reasons, I'd bet. I
know I do.

wrote:

[...]

Why don't they use cap guns for cowboy competitions, just like we did
when we were kids. Real guns is too dangerous fer dem posers.

Here comes the judge F.O.A.D. General 0 October 22nd 13 05:14 PM
But, judge, I had the right of way! [email protected] General 1 February 6th 06 04:35 PM
sometimes, go judge a tag Prancing Refined Pussy ASA 0 April 22nd 05 12:13 PM
don't judge a paper Smoking Geek ASA 0 April 22nd 05 12:04 PM
don't judge a cat Sloppy Bored Cumguzzler ASA 0 April 8th 05 02:40 PM