Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Finally, a bit of good news - maybe.

Fred Phelps' son: Father on 'edge of death'
Nate Phelps says Fred Phelps Sr. is in hospice care

A son of Fred Phelps Sr., the controversial leader of Westboro Baptist
Church, has posted on his Facebook page that his father was
excommunicated from the church in August 2013 and is "now on the edge of
death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka."

Nate Phelps, who broke away from the church 37 years ago, made the
Facebook post around midnight Saturday.

"I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the 'God Hates
Fags' Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the 'church'
back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland
Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas," Nate Phelps posted.

"I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion
to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

"I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those
who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly
angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing
him, and saying their good-byes."

Phelps Sr., an ordained minister who started Westboro Baptist Church in
1955, was known early in his legal career as an award-winning civil
rights attorney. However, after his disbarment by the Kansas Supreme
Court in 1979 and the surrender of his license to practice law in
federal courts in 1989, Phelps became known for his crusade against
homosexuals, marked by picket lines, the mass distribution of facsimiles
and a multitude of lawsuits.

http://tinyurl.com/ow5pbah

"...devotion to God..."

Now, that is a giggle. Phelps, Sr., is a horrible human being, and he
and his followers engaged in horrific acts against perfectly decent
people who had nothing to do with the insanity of the Phelps Cult. I'm
no fan of the military, but picketing the funeral of a soldier killed in
action so as to further upset that soldier's family in their time of
grief has to be the lowest or damned close to the lowest form of human
behavior.