Default Windows XP users 'increasing'?

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
"F.O.A.D." wrote:

Apple offers incremental improvements to its OS, not do-overs, and its
price is right. Mavericks, the latest, costs $0.00. I was going to put
Win 7 on my Macbook Air, but for $100+, I simply decided not to waste the money.

True, Mavericks was a free upgrade but not without some disappointments.
It will not run some popular programs that previous versions of the Apple OSX ran.

An example is Pro-Tools 9. I had a brand new, unopened box with
Pro-Tools that I was looking forward to installing in the iMac once I
became familiar with it. Pro-Tools is a professional grade audio
recording software package.

Pro-Tools isn't cheap. The current version is $699. I decided to install
my copy only to find out that Mavericks (which I upgraded to a month ago)
won't run it. My options are to revert back to the older, 10.8.5 OSX
(whatever they called it) or go out and purchase the newer version.

I'll stick with the full Garage Band for now.

That all said though, I like the iMac. Nice display and is faster for
some of the things I like to do with audio and video. For many purposes
though I still think it's an overgrown, high priced iPhone. :-)

Well you can make phone calls with it. 😄

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
"F.O.A.D." wrote:

[...]

There isn't one windoze app I used to use that I haven't found a better
replacement for on my macs. Even the Mac version of ms office suite runs
better. The photo apps are better. The big database manager I use is
better. I am sure there are better windoze apps out there but I don't use
them.

F.O.A.D. wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
"F.O.A.D." wrote:

[...]

P.s. My new Mac is "preparing for shipment" but from where I don't know.
Could be china, the USA, or Ireland .

On 2/3/2014 7:15 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
"F.O.A.D." wrote:

[...]

I don't use the iMac for anything other than recording and mixing stuff.
Still learning the techniques. I was looking forward to learning
Pro-Tools but for $699 for the latest version that will run on
Mavericks, I can wait.

Actually, the full blown version of Garage Band is very good. The
version that comes in a Mac is a scaled down version. For a one time
charge of $4.99 you can upgrade to the full version that is very
extensive and powerful. It will probably do me fine for the level I'll
ever get to.

I also started fooling around with the video editing and "Movie Maker"
program that is in the iMac. It's much better than Microsoft's current
"Movie Maker" with many more features and editing capabilities. Just
started fooling around with that.

On 2/3/2014 2:49 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:49:45 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/3/14, 11:46 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:04:24 -0500, Poco Loco
wrote:

Maybe I'll stick with XP even after the support stops.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...are-in-january

Microsoft has not given their business users any compelling reason to
switch.
If your mission is not significantly changing, why should you change
your hardware and software?
99% of all real business applications ran just fine on Windows 3.1 on
a 396. If you are just doing bookkeeping, inventory and point of sale,
you don't need that much computing power.
All of these flashy graphics do not actually add much to the average
business man's operation.
Hardware is pretty stagnant these days so I am not really sure why
they need a different OS.

Apple offers incremental improvements to its OS, not do-overs, and its
price is right. Mavericks, the latest, costs $0.00. I was going to put
Win 7 on my Macbook Air, but for $100+, I simply decided not to waste
the money.

The OS is not free, it is just bundled into the overpriced hardware.
IBM did the same thing with the System 360, all the software was free
including on site support ... until LBJ sued them over it.

Apple gets away with it because they are still a small player.

Most people do not get the retail version of windows anyway. They get
it bundled with the software and it is about $35-40 that way based on
what you can get a bare (or linux) system for.

I don't even pay that. When you get an off lease machine the extra
cost is negligible and you could reinstall that OS on a brand new
machine if you wanted to. You just need the sticker ... or just the
numbers.
I am not even sure Microsoft is checking for duplicate XP
installations these days. I do have a good W-7 number if I wanted to
play with it but I have XP on that machine now.
I have still not seen a compelling need to go to 7 or 8.

I am not impressed with the idea that just being newer is always
better.

How about these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpoX6Mh4kLw

On 2/3/2014 3:44 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 15:06:36 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

How about these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpoX6Mh4kLw

I had a couple Moto bag phones until they finally just stopped
working.

That was actually a year after the official end of Amps66 because some
areas of SW Florida were designated as remote.

It was actually all I wanted. I did not have a contract and I am not
even sure I could get an incoming call but when I picked up the phone
I could make a free 911 call and a regular call was $2.99 a minute on
a credit card.
I kept mine on the boat.
Those things did "get out" a whole lot better than the current digital
phone because you had a real antenna. They would work 30+ miles
offshore if you had the marine antenna.

I had a Mitsubish bag phone that put ou a full 3 watts.

wrote:

[...]

I just fired up a win 8.1 machine. So far everything is loading in
flawlessly, even the 1999 Mapsource from Garmin. I'm in the process of
Tim Tim is offline

[...]

Can you do that on a Win7?

[...]

Yes. If you have a GPS WITH LIFETIME MAPS

wrote:

[...]

From what I can determine Win 8 is basically Win 7 with an updated HMI
interface and display.