Default Misleading numbers

The most recent jobs report indicates that the economy added a higher
number of jobs than expected. That makes all the news.

What is not emphasized and doesn't make headlines is that more working
age people dropped out of the job market than were hired and are no
longer counted as "unemployed".

Just read an article where the author claims that if the trend continues
(which has been steady for the past 5 years) that in four short years
there will be more working age people *not* working and participating in
state and federal entitlement programs than are employed and paying taxes.

Scary thought.

On 11/10/2013 7:15 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

The most recent jobs report indicates that the economy added a higher
number of jobs than expected. That makes all the news.

What is not emphasized and doesn't make headlines is that more working
age people dropped out of the job market than were hired and are no
longer counted as "unemployed".

Just read an article where the author claims that if the trend continues
(which has been steady for the past 5 years) that in four short years
there will be more working age people *not* working and participating in
state and federal entitlement programs than are employed and paying taxes.

Scary thought.

Scary is right!
When I read the first two lines, I thought you were missing the point.
And then you said, "if the trend continues (which has been steady for
the past 5 years)"
There's a term that the financial people use, *(and I can't recall
what it is at the moment) which is the percentage of the workforce working.
Anyway the number has been low for years and is not moving up like it
should this far into what should be a robust recovery.
Government has put a drag on economic growth, and slowed job growth.

*Workforce utilization, output utilization, some term like that,
it's been running around 63% as I recall.

Mikek

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:27:57 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:17:49 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:31:42 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 11/10/2013 12:14 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 08:15:19 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

The most recent jobs report indicates that the economy added a higher
number of jobs than expected. That makes all the news.

What is not emphasized and doesn't make headlines is that more working
age people dropped out of the job market than were hired and are no
longer counted as "unemployed".

Just read an article where the author claims that if the trend continues
(which has been steady for the past 5 years) that in four short years
there will be more working age people *not* working and participating in
state and federal entitlement programs than are employed and paying taxes.

Scary thought.

In spite of all of this and the crying about the minimum wage, my wife
still can't find a "coachable" handyman for $16 an hour (with free
lunch, insurance, vacation and 401k). At this point she is not even
looking for skills, only someone capable of learning on the job.
The people who show up are not employable.

I'd take the job if I lived closer. I can learn to be handy.

Yeah, I was wondering if she'd pay air fare, and let me bring my golf clubs.

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!

I forgot to mention, free golf.

Now you're talking!!!

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!

Doing the numbers Frogwatch General 17 July 5th 09 12:53 AM
learning by numbers NotPony ASA 42 October 21st 05 04:09 PM
Compression numbers... what to do? JaxDawg General 2 April 21st 05 10:57 PM
Hull ID numbers Jim, General 4 April 17th 05 03:22 PM
What the numbers mean?? Larry W4CSC Electronics 7 September 11th 03 03:51 PM