Brien Alkire

Default newbie question about boat deliveries

An aquantance asked my wife and I if we're interested in being part of a
boat delivery crew. He mentioned two specific trips, each are around 2
weeks long and at interesting places. I was in a hurry and told him I
looked forward to chatting more about it.

I'd like to get a heads up on how this stuff works before I chat with him
again. Can anyone give me a run-down on these things? Obviously he is
getting a salary and his travel expenses paid. What should I expect from an
invitation to crew? Should I expect my travel expenses to be paid? We
don't have a great deal of experience but he can see we are capable and that
we true students of the sport of sailing.

d parker

If you are noobs to the sport you can expect no financial help. You're
getting a free boat ride and a bucket load of experience as pay. It is very
unreasonable to expect anything more. Its like being able to carry Harrison
fords luggage and expecting to get his salary for it. (Well, that's extreme
but I hope you get my point)

Many journeys differ too. Some may supply food while others are share
expenses of everything from food and fuel to marina berths.

If the owner is going too make sure you buy him a bottle of his favourite
booze at the end of trip to say thank you regardless of the structure.

DP

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
An aquantance asked my wife and I if we're interested in being part of a
boat delivery crew. He mentioned two specific trips, each are around 2
weeks long and at interesting places. I was in a hurry and told him I
looked forward to chatting more about it.

I'd like to get a heads up on how this stuff works before I chat with him
again. Can anyone give me a run-down on these things? Obviously he is
getting a salary and his travel expenses paid. What should I expect from

an
invitation to crew? Should I expect my travel expenses to be paid? We
don't have a great deal of experience but he can see we are capable and

that
we true students of the sport of sailing.

ken jones

Hi

Not quite the same but I've just crewed a boat across the Atlantic for a
couple who are going around the world - I did Gibraltar - Lanzarotte - Cape
Verdes - Barbados, I'm flying back to the UK next week and I've been away
since 4th December - a great way to avoid the UK winter. I've been
responsible for all travel expenses, but all food and drink (including beer
and wine) aboard the boat were supplied by the owners. If we ate out I paid
my own way. I think the important thing is to get the ground rules sorted
first and if you're happy with them my advice is to go for it

All the best

Ken

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
An aquantance asked my wife and I if we're interested in being part of a
boat delivery crew. He mentioned two specific trips, each are around 2
weeks long and at interesting places. I was in a hurry and told him I
looked forward to chatting more about it.

I'd like to get a heads up on how this stuff works before I chat with him
again. Can anyone give me a run-down on these things? Obviously he is
getting a salary and his travel expenses paid. What should I expect from

an
invitation to crew? Should I expect my travel expenses to be paid? We
don't have a great deal of experience but he can see we are capable and

that
we true students of the sport of sailing.

Jeff Richards

It depends entirely on what value you are to the delivery skipper and what
value you feel you are getting out of the trip. If he's already got enough
crew to do the job and he's just offering you a spare berth and experience
that will be useful to you and you'll probably holiday for a while at the
destination anyway, then expect to pay for pretty much everything. But if
he needs crew and you will be involved in provisioning and preparation and
cleaning up and helping with the return trip (such as sharing a rental),
then expect a much better deal.
--
Jeff Richards

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
An aquantance asked my wife and I if we're interested in being part of a
boat delivery crew. He mentioned two specific trips, each are around 2
weeks long and at interesting places. I was in a hurry and told him I
looked forward to chatting more about it.

I'd like to get a heads up on how this stuff works before I chat with him
again. Can anyone give me a run-down on these things? Obviously he is
getting a salary and his travel expenses paid. What should I expect from

an
invitation to crew? Should I expect my travel expenses to be paid? We
don't have a great deal of experience but he can see we are capable and

that
we true students of the sport of sailing.

J. Allan

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message

An aquantance asked my wife and I if we're interested in being part
of a boat delivery crew. He mentioned two specific trips, each are
around 2 weeks long and at interesting places. I was in a hurry and
told him I looked forward to chatting more about it.

I'd like to get a heads up on how this stuff works before I chat with
him again. Can anyone give me a run-down on these things? Obviously
he is getting a salary and his travel expenses paid. What should I
expect from an invitation to crew? Should I expect my travel
expenses to be paid? We don't have a great deal of experience but he
can see we are capable and that we true students of the sport of
sailing.

Few basic things to check, and pardon me if this acquaintance is a
trusted close personal friend.

Two weeks is a pretty long time for a first delivery. I'd be wanting to
get a few one or two nighters in, for my personal experience, and with
the particular 'acquaintance' before committing to two weeks.

Is the 'acquaintance', and other likely crew members reasonably
straight, or are they likely to spend extended periods in alternative
and parallel universes as a result of chemicals or alcohol while sailing
(or get busted while in port)? If so avoid.

Is the boat reasonably sound, or a bloody deathtrap so that you may
spend two weeks with a bucket being the most effective bilge pump in the
world?

Is the 'acquaintance' competent and easy to get along with: not a near
descendant of Captain Bligh?

Get the costs and expenses and sharing arrangements clear before you go.

John

d parker

Further to that, here is a basic pre departure check list of things that
should be on the boat- you should know where to find them.

General Checks...

Harnesses (one p/p)

emergency steering

life jackets with whistles and strobes

danbouy

storm jib-tri sail

sea cocks

gas shut off and alarm

bilge pumps and spare parts

fire extinguishers (2 min) dry chem

sea anchors-drogues

torches - spare batteries

flares (three red rocket. Three red handheld. Three orange smoke)

v- sheet

1st aid kit

EPIRB's

battery switches

tapered wooden plugs

2nd anchor with rope and chain

life raft service date.

Stout buckets (2 min)

Jack Stays ( for harnesses)

Grab bag ( details below )

Life buoys with lights (2 min)

Heaving line

engine...

Oil fuel and water filters

shut offs/seacocks (locate and attach plugs)

belts

hoses

water pump impellers

engine oil

2 large jerry cans of diesel

Twin batteries

tools...

bolt cutters

hammer

screw drivers

hack saw

multi meter

pliers

side cutters

spanners

vice grips

multi grips

files

duct tape

insulation tape

fuses

navigation and communication...

charts

m.o.b. swich on g.p.s.

dividers

hand held compass

Ruler

pencils erasers

v.h.f. radio

h.f. radio

plotter

square

At least 3 GPS's with four sets of spare batteries

Barometer

Grab bag...

Five bottles of water ( three quarter full)

Flares

First aid

Fishing gear

Torch

Tinned food

Can openers (non sharp)

Knife

Signaling mirror

Cyalume sticks

Cheers

DP

"J. Allan" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Brien Alkire

Great advice on this thread, thanks very much.

Fortunately we have been on a 3-day/2-night sail with this fellow before.
He is highly competent and we get along well.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip that got rather intense. I
am very pleased that not only did my wife do a great job under pressure, but
she thoroughly enjoyed it. So I think we are both on the same page about
doing a delivery.

I'll be sure to follow your advice and get details about the boat when we
discuss it, and carefully go through the check list.

Thanks!

"d parker" wrote in message
u...
[...]

"J. Allan" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Michael

Everyone gave great advice. I'll add something else. There is a very fine
legal line between the rights of hired crew and the rights of non-paid
passengers. If you are going as crew in the pure sense it depends on if the
voyage is coastal or foreign. In some of these cases the Skipper or owners
are responsible for your passage back under certain circumstances. In
others not. As one poster replied, get the ground rules sorted out in
advance. When I was crewing I had one owner charge me for the gas used inthe
dinghy outboard for going ashore. Many charge a set daily fee for food etc.
and you still get to work. Now I'm a 100 ton Captain and an AB Limited and
Sail). At this point I would expect more BUT I wouldn't turn down a free
ride with food thrown in, pay my own port fees and guarantee my own return
passage if the boat and destination were interesting. But if I was expected
to do more in the professional sense (listed as back up license on the
insurance papers for example) then I would expect recompense. If however
you are getting paid in training and experience then figure most schools run
about $100 a day in tuition plus motel/food costs if they are not in your
area. That's pretty neat pay BUT make sure you get the Coasties Small Craft
Service form filled out properly by the Skipper/Owner and even a letter from
him detailing what you've learned and accomplished. You'll need it for
getting your own license later on . .especially if the bug bites hard!

Have fun

Michael

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
Great advice on this thread, thanks very much.

Fortunately we have been on a 3-day/2-night sail with this fellow before.
He is highly competent and we get along well.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip that got rather intense.

am very pleased that not only did my wife do a great job under pressure,

but
she thoroughly enjoyed it. So I think we are both on the same page about
doing a delivery.

I'll be sure to follow your advice and get details about the boat when we
discuss it, and carefully go through the check list.

Thanks!

"d parker" wrote in message
u...
[...]

u...

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Newbie Question - Boat Winterizing Shakeel General 6 June 10th 04 02:07 AM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM