Weathered Rose

Default Considering a Small Sail boat

Hello,
My husband and I live where there are a lot of water ways, rivers and
lakes that are open to sail boats. Does anyone have any good advice on what
is a good sized boat for a two person crew from your experiance? I used to
live on the Pacific and we took out a 15 foot boat, which was wonderful for
two, but my husband who's never sailed and me who is limited want something
we can enjoy with little difficulty.

I'm going to take sailing classes for my birthday locally which should
give me a lot more knowlege of the craft, how to take care of it. The whole
thing.

Thanks!
Rose

rotoryracer

A great deal in the decision process depends upon what you wish to do in
both the long and short term. What is your budget? Do you wish to perhaps
sleep on the boat from time to time? Day sail only, or perhaps short
overnight trips (or longer...)? Are you strictly interested in short fair
weather day sails close to a marina? Do you need to be able to trailer the
boat or will you keep it wet?

My wife and I recently (1.5yr ago) took a sailing class and bought a 1984
25' Catalina with a good complement of sails and intruments for $11K. We
have it in a slip in Texas, and sail year round (but so far not overnight).
We have participated in a bare boat cruise in the British Virgin Islands and
now aspire to retire living part of the year on a 'cruiser' sailing yacht in
the caibbean. We both enjoy sailing. My wife is becoming more confident
driving in higher wind conditions (15-25 MPH). I often solo sail our boat,
and find that with training and practice it is very manageable for a
beginner.

Regardless of your objectives, my only suggestion is that you purchase a
boat in good 'sail today' condition so that you may slowly learn how to
maintain the standing and running rigging (as I am now doing). That remind
me,... my boom vang snapped at the shackle last time out so I need to go fix
it. Remember the old proverb that 'Boats are a hole in the water into which
you pour money'.

Best regards,
Richard Browning of the sloop "Sun of a Beach"

"Weathered Rose" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hello,
My husband and I live where there are a lot of water ways, rivers and
lakes that are open to sail boats. Does anyone have any good advice on

what
is a good sized boat for a two person crew from your experiance? I used to
live on the Pacific and we took out a 15 foot boat, which was wonderful

for
two, but my husband who's never sailed and me who is limited want

something
we can enjoy with little difficulty.

I'm going to take sailing classes for my birthday locally which should
give me a lot more knowlege of the craft, how to take care of it. The

whole
thing.

Thanks!
Rose

John R Weiss

"Weathered Rose" wrote...

My husband and I live where there are a lot of water ways, rivers and
lakes that are open to sail boats. Does anyone have any good advice on what
is a good sized boat for a two person crew from your experiance? I used to
live on the Pacific and we took out a 15 foot boat, which was wonderful for
two, but my husband who's never sailed and me who is limited want something
we can enjoy with little difficulty.

It depends on what your limitations are...

In general, picking one of the boats that is popular among sailing clubs in your
area, and which has an active racing fleet, is a good idea. That way you will
have the support of your peers, friends, and friendly rivals.

If you are worried about boat weight, you will have to realize that lighter
boats will tend to be less stable. A good compromise may be something like a
Snipe, that at 15 1/2' and 380# or so is a good performer for 2 people, and
relatively stable and easy to handle. The Flying Scott, Highlander, and
Lightning are larger, heavier, and more stable. There are also newer
day-sailing designs from Hunter and a few other companies.

If you can handle a "small" 21-footer, a SeaPearl 21 may be an option. At 700#
it is light for 21', and is a lively, though stable performer with water
ballast. It is also easily rigged and launched by 2 people in 5-10 minutes) and
handled on the water by 1 person.

Weathered Rose

Thanks Richard,
We would be keeping it dry docked on our property since the lakes/rivers
can ice over here, and that leaves me feeling unhappy with keeping the boat
conditioned in it's tip top.

We probably would do day trips, but I would love over nighters. We
aren't on the ocean, but my asperations are to eventually move us near the
coast again. I grew up on Pacific, so I miss the big open ocean.

You've given me a lot to think about! Thanks for giving more questions.
I wanted to ask about insurance, how bad or good has it been with your boat
insured? Did you see a moderate increase or is this an extra expense.

I'll remember that saying. We joked about getting one of these mini
15'11" pirate ships because we do Renaissance and Pirate enactment during
the year, to "sail" at faires with lakes in the centers. Our business there
opening this year pertains to clothing of sea captains, and pirates, etc.
Along with sea shells, and other goods. It's my hope to bring apart of me
that is so important to those that may have never seen the sea.

Thanks for all yoru great questions, I'm going to save your post, so that
I can refer to it as we go through the process. I'm in the "I'm saving"
process currently. I've got some money, but no large amount, but it'll grow.

Thanks!

"rotoryracer" wrote in message
[...]

Weathered Rose

Wow, I can see I came to the right place! Thank you John I'll look into the
types you offered me. Stability is important, since the lake where most
sailing takes place also has power boats also, so the wakes can get rough.

What size boat do you have?

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Weathered Rose" wrote...

[...]

John R Weiss

"Weathered Rose" wrotet...
Wow, I can see I came to the right place! Thank you John I'll look into the
types you offered me. Stability is important, since the lake where most
sailing takes place also has power boats also, so the wakes can get rough.

What size boat do you have?

Which one? ;-)

I'll admit my bias, since I have a SeaPearl 21
(http://www.tsca.net/puget/DragonSong.htm, if you're interested;
www.marine-concepts.com if you're still interested). However, I started sailing
back in '69 or so on a friend's Snipe, and considered the Lightning, Flying
Scott, and Highlander when looking for the "right" boat in '97 (I've been
downsizing since '78, from a 28' Pearson Triton to a 25' San Juan 7.7 to the
SeaPearl). I did NOT take my own 'nearby clubs' advice, but there are 3 other
SeaPearls in my area, and an active discussion group on Yahoo Groups
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeaPearl/join).

I also have a 17 1/2' Pygmy Coho kayak and a 15' Adirondack Guideboat; and a 9'
plastic dinghy (for sale). See the first 2 via
http://www.tsca.net/puget/members.htm#weiss.

The SeaPearl gives you the ability to cruise-camp (tent and beaching is better
than trying to sleep 2 aboard, though) and gunkhole with its 6" boards-up draft,
and can be rowed (oars & seat are standard equipment!) when the wind dies.
Stayless rig makes rigging/reefing/furling/derigging a snap. Water ballast
makes it stable (initially tender to about 15 deg heel, but HARD to bury the
rail). I sail on Puget Sound as well as Lake Washington and other lakes. I
pull it with my '82 Saab or '02 Passat, and it fits in my back yard.

Downside is that it is not self-bailing or self-rescuing. However, you have to
be foolish or downright careless/reckless to capsize it.

Matt Colie

Dear Rose,

Two things:

One - adjust your mail reader so you do not post a usable @ddress on the
usenet. A spambot may grab it and soon you will be inundated with spam.

Two - Start your research at http://www.trailersailors.com/.

There are so many choices and so many trailer/cruisers available at very
effective cost. Just start looking and you will probably settle toward
a Catalina, O'day, San Juan, Santana, Chrysler... in the 20-23 LOA
range. Just watch the over the raod package weight because if you get
too heavy to tow with a passenger car (like mine), it make dragging it
someplace interesting a whole lot tougher.

Join and be a regular at some local sailing group. There are frequently
people that would go out more often if they had another pair of hands to
manage the boat.

If you see a boat that you like, do not be at all afraid to ask if the
owner will take you out for a day (if you volunteer to bring lunch and
refreshemnts - it's almost a given).

If I can be any other help, I'm here a lot (or decode the secret @ddress)

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Weathered Rose wrote:
[...]

Weathered Rose

I laughed at your "which one" comment! Smart arse! Okay your my new hero,
I'd love to have that many water worthy craft one day!

I like the look of the Pearl, it's a nice double sail. It's a nice "going
out for a day boat" from the looks of it. How heavy is it?

"Weathered Rose" elvenvoices@ EatSpamDeathearthlink.net wrotet...
[...]

Weathered Rose

Fixed the problem with email.

Ah! Definately with the sailing group. Now I have to find out if SW Ohio has
a group. I found out our sailing classes portion that is on the water is in
Indiana. *blinks* But we'll see how bad it is and why we're treading so far
to go to sail on the water with six lakes within two hours of us.

I'll definately keep up talking here and asking questions. I love the water,
and want to be on it. All this freezing temps is making me want for summer.

Weathered Rose wrote:
[...]

John R Weiss

"Weathered Rose" wrote...
I laughed at your "which one" comment! Smart arse! Okay your my new hero,
I'd love to have that many water worthy craft one day!

I like the look of the Pearl, it's a nice double sail. It's a nice "going
out for a day boat" from the looks of it. How heavy is it?

About 700# dry; another 300# or so of water ballast.

The ballast goes in after you launch it -- open the inspection ports at the top
of the tanks, then the plugs at the bottom. Replace when tanks are full. When
hauling it out, get the bow hooked up to the trailer winch, open the tank plugs,
and let them drain as you haul out. About 5 minutes each way.

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause Electronics 14 January 17th 04 02:45 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM