John R Weiss

Default Considering a Small Sail boat

"Weathered Rose" wrotet...
Wow, I can see I came to the right place! Thank you John I'll look into the
types you offered me. Stability is important, since the lake where most
sailing takes place also has power boats also, so the wakes can get rough.

What size boat do you have?

Which one? ;-)

I'll admit my bias, since I have a SeaPearl 21
(http://www.tsca.net/puget/DragonSong.htm, if you're interested;
www.marine-concepts.com if you're still interested). However, I started sailing
back in '69 or so on a friend's Snipe, and considered the Lightning, Flying
Scott, and Highlander when looking for the "right" boat in '97 (I've been
downsizing since '78, from a 28' Pearson Triton to a 25' San Juan 7.7 to the
SeaPearl). I did NOT take my own 'nearby clubs' advice, but there are 3 other
SeaPearls in my area, and an active discussion group on Yahoo Groups
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeaPearl/join).

I also have a 17 1/2' Pygmy Coho kayak and a 15' Adirondack Guideboat; and a 9'
plastic dinghy (for sale). See the first 2 via
http://www.tsca.net/puget/members.htm#weiss.

The SeaPearl gives you the ability to cruise-camp (tent and beaching is better
than trying to sleep 2 aboard, though) and gunkhole with its 6" boards-up draft,
and can be rowed (oars & seat are standard equipment!) when the wind dies.
Stayless rig makes rigging/reefing/furling/derigging a snap. Water ballast
makes it stable (initially tender to about 15 deg heel, but HARD to bury the
rail). I sail on Puget Sound as well as Lake Washington and other lakes. I
pull it with my '82 Saab or '02 Passat, and it fits in my back yard.

Downside is that it is not self-bailing or self-rescuing. However, you have to
be foolish or downright careless/reckless to capsize it.