Default Off for a bit of boating..

Unlike the majority in here, I'm off to enjoy a beautiful day of boating.
First I'll drop into a local Mercury dealer to get an estimate on installing a 'trim gauge' and sender pkg.
Then I'll have to decide whether to boat on the largest freshwater lake around here... or explore either of two beautiful ocean bays...St. Margaret's or Mahone Bay.
Winds are supposed to be light.. although from the South, so hopefully it won't be too rough for the wife.

On 8/1/13 8:42 AM, True North wrote:
Unlike the majority in here, I'm off to enjoy a beautiful day of boating.
First I'll drop into a local Mercury dealer to get an estimate on installing a 'trim gauge' and sender pkg.
Then I'll have to decide whether to boat on the largest freshwater lake around here... or explore either of two beautiful ocean bays...St. Margaret's or Mahone Bay.
Winds are supposed to be light.. although from the South, so hopefully it won't be too rough for the wife.

I think the trim gauge may be a waste of money. If you observer the
outboard when you are running on plane and adjust the trim, you can
usually tell by sight and sound (and speed abd tach and whether the bow
is up or down or whether the boat is running on its optimum plane.}
Unless the gauge and sender are cheap, maybe you can do without them.

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

--------------------------------------

I agree. When I first got into boating I tried to rely on the
displayed drive trim setting but soon realized it was only a general
reference and after a while I never bothered to even look at it.

The drive trim setting one day isn't necessarily the best setting on
another, depending on sea state, wind direction and strength. This
results in determining the best setting based on visual indicators,
seat of the pants inputs along with your tach and speed indicators
anyway. I remember running a Boston Whaler in one direction (with
the wind) and the ideal trim setting was often very different than
turning around and running against the wind.

Obviously, larger boats with fixed propellers and rudders don't have
"drive" trim indicators. They may have trim tabs, but even on them
the actual reading isn't important. You adjust by feel, visual and
tach/speed indications for the best setting and it can vary, day to
day.

On 8/1/13 9:28 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

I don't recall having a trim gauge on any of my outboard boats prior to
my two Parkers.

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 8/1/13 9:28 AM, Eisboch wrote:

I agree. When I first got into boating I tried to rely on the
displayed
drive trim setting but soon realized it was only a general reference
and
after a while I never bothered to even look at it.

I don't recall having a trim gauge on any of my outboard boats prior
my two Parkers.

--------------------------------------

Me either on outboards, except for on a couple of newer ones. The
tried and true method of adjusting the trim for max RPM for a given
throttle setting always seemed to work fine. The throttle setting was
obviously dependent on sea state, so the trim setting also varied.

On the two I/Os I had the trim was useful in making sure the leg was
fully up when retrieving the boat at the launch, but that was about
it. Oh, it was also useful in troubleshooting a problem on the old
Century I had. A leak in the hydraulics would allow the leg to
slowly be pushed back down, once adjusted and the damn boat would
start to bow steer. Not fun at higher speeds.

On 8/1/13 10:17 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 8/1/13 9:28 AM, Eisboch wrote:

[...]

I managed to avoid owning I/O's for my entire boating life. My father
sold them but didn't like them for many reasons, and I suppose I picked
up on his opinion/prejudice.

My dad's best friend was a competitor boat dealer who handled Century
boats. I always loved the fancy mahogany speedboats but my favorite was
a 20-footer (I'm guessing from a long ago memory) lapstrake model, not
unlike a Lyman, straight inboard, maybe 120 hp or so. Nice riding boat,
soft chines.

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 09:05:34 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 8/1/13 8:42 AM, True North wrote:
Unlike the majority in here, I'm off to enjoy a beautiful day of boating.
First I'll drop into a local Mercury dealer to get an estimate on installing a 'trim gauge' and sender pkg.
Then I'll have to decide whether to boat on the largest freshwater lake around here... or explore either of two beautiful ocean bays...St. Margaret's or Mahone Bay.
Winds are supposed to be light.. although from the South, so hopefully it won't be too rough for the wife.

I think the trim gauge may be a waste of money. If you observer the
outboard when you are running on plane and adjust the trim, you can
usually tell by sight and sound (and speed abd tach and whether the bow
is up or down or whether the boat is running on its optimum plane.}
Unless the gauge and sender are cheap, maybe you can do without them.

Have to agree with this post. Wind and wave height and direction of travel can all affect how a boat
performs at differing trims. Set the throttle and then adjust the trim for the best speed at that
throttle setting. Works every time.

John (Gun Nut) H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

F.O.A.D. wrote:
[...]

I ALWAYS observer the outboard abd tach, tax cheat.

On 8/1/2013 8:42 AM, True North wrote:
Unlike the majority in here, I'm off to enjoy a beautiful day of boating.
First I'll drop into a local Mercury dealer to get an estimate on installing a 'trim gauge' and sender pkg.
Then I'll have to decide whether to boat on the largest freshwater lake around here... or explore either of two beautiful ocean bays...St. Margaret's or Mahone Bay.
Winds are supposed to be light.. although from the South, so hopefully it won't be too rough for the wife.

Who cares.. you can't even do a boat post without being a punk bitch...
Hope your little punt sinks...

On 8/1/13 9:10 AM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 8/1/2013 8:42 AM, True North wrote:
Unlike the majority in here, I'm off to enjoy a beautiful day of boating.
First I'll drop into a local Mercury dealer to get an estimate on
installing a 'trim gauge' and sender pkg.
Then I'll have to decide whether to boat on the largest freshwater
lake around here... or explore either of two beautiful ocean
bays...St. Margaret's or Mahone Bay.
Winds are supposed to be light.. although from the South, so hopefully
it won't be too rough for the wife.

Who cares.. you can't even do a boat post without being a punk bitch...
Hope your little punt sinks...

Run out of your meds?