Default Pizza!

This article more or less rings true:

http://tinyurl.com/ku5tae4

Having grown up in the epicenter of the pizza belt, I'm usually
disappointed by the pizza I've encountered outside of it. In all the
years I've lived in the Washington, D.C., area, I've only encountered
two restaurants that make pizza that even resembles the good stuff from
New Haven. And there was one pizza joint in NE Florida that had
satisfactory pizza...and it turns out the owner and chef was from
Providence.

On 7/15/13 11:43 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:00:07 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

This article more or less rings true:

http://tinyurl.com/ku5tae4

Having grown up in the epicenter of the pizza belt, I'm usually
disappointed by the pizza I've encountered outside of it. In all the
years I've lived in the Washington, D.C., area, I've only encountered
two restaurants that make pizza that even resembles the good stuff from
New Haven. And there was one pizza joint in NE Florida that had
satisfactory pizza...and it turns out the owner and chef was from
Providence.

I feel the same about Italian food in general.

Once you have had Italian food from the New York area, nothing else
seems to compare.
Occasionally you will find a transplant who brought the skill with
them but it is rare.
I did find a good Italian restaurant on the south end of Clearwater
Beach at the end of a strip mall right before you go over the bridge
but I am not sure if they are still there.

My guess is that most of the Italians who came to this country at the
beginning of the 20th Century landed in the northeast and that most of
them stayed there. Those who started restaurants, groceries, bakeries,
et cetera, and survived established a family business that their
children and grandchildren inherited. There are still some thriving
Italian eateries in the New Haven area that were started nearly 100
years ago, and are still run by the descendants of the founders.

Virtually all the Italian ancestry folk I know in the Washington, D.C.,
area, were labor union officials who came down here from New England,
New York, and New Jersey. A lot of my Irish ancestry union buddies, on
the other hand, were from families that settled in the northeast, but
also in places like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, all over.

There's plenty of crappy pizza throughout the United States. Domino's,
Papa John's, and a half dozen other huge chain places. Blech.

"F.O.A.D." wrote:
On 7/15/13 11:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

Depends on the style of Italian food. Here in Calif, there were two
different Italian cultures that arrived. The Genoese that made up a lot of
the fishermen, and then my wife's background of Northern Italian / Swiss
Italian. Two different food styles. A lot more white sauces from the
North. The Swiss Italian were the dairymen plus some of the winemakers.

In article ,
says...

[...]

There is a place here that has a genuine pizzaiolo, studied in Italy.
The real deal is hard to find, most pizza in the U.S. is *******ized
anyway.

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:53:46 -0500, Boating All Out wrote:

In article -
september.org, says...

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:13:09 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:04:30 -0400, iBoaterer
wrote:

There is a place here that has a genuine pizzaiolo, studied in Italy.
The real deal is hard to find, most pizza in the U.S. is *******ized
anyway.

I agree. American pizza has about as much to do with pizza in Italy as
Taco Bell has to do with real Mexican food.

Costco has a new pizza out that is superb. Deep dish, lots of cheese and sausage. They're 'loaded'
pizza is as good as I've had anywhere. Of course, I don't live in southern Maryland.

John (Gun Nut) H.

As Greg said, American pizza has about as much to do with pizza in Italy
as Taco Bell has to do with real Mexican food.

I've had Italian pizza, in Italy. It sucked.

AMEN!!

What pizza somebody likes is purely subjective.
Probably an inclination to prefer what you grew up with.
Mozarella mostly comes from the same few cheesemakers.
Not much difference. It's a mild cheese, and if you
notice it's sub-par, it's probably a bad texture/stretch.
Then crust. Again, different people like different
crusts. No figuring. Deep dish/thin. Different strokes.
I'm mostly a sauce guy. Most important single element to
me. All else equal, it's the sauce that says to me this
is good pizza, or this is a lousy pizza.

John (Gun Nut) H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

wrote:

[...]

The best Pizza I ever had was at Minsky's in Kansas City, Mo.

Pizza Gydaybema General 16 November 29th 11 01:16 AM
Herman's pizza wisdom jps General 6 November 14th 11 11:55 PM
Pizza Pie! Harry[_6_] General 0 August 23rd 10 10:37 PM
Something to go with fine pizza... John H. General 0 May 12th 07 02:06 AM
More Pizza Follies DSK ASA 3 February 10th 05 07:51 PM