BoatBanter.com

-   -   Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/157423-barbecue-grill-advice-could-topic.html)

F.O.A.D. June 20th 13 12:56 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

I'm only an occasional "griller," and I'll be the first to admit my
knowledge of the care and keeping of a barbecue grill is minimal. To
wit, the problem is keeping the grill spiffy enough to satisfy even my
minimal non-OCD male standards of cleanliness.

Even though I brush down the grill grates per all the instructions
before using the grill, they and the pieces and parts underneath them
still accumulate mass quantities of the bits and pieces that fall off
and drip off when I fire up the mammalian cooker.

I've tried a few "grill cleaning" chemicals, products from Easy Off and
Weber, for example, but none I've tried so far do what I want - and that
is to literally dissolve the "remains" that stick on the grates and
grill innards. I'm still left with the messy job
of scraping and scrubbing, and since our grill is large and on a deck,
there's another mess to clean up after trying to clean the grill.

I haven't tried putting the grates in our self-cleaning oven, but I
understand that might work. It seems pretty drastic, though.

So, my droogs (a top of the hat to Anthony Burgess), have you discovered
any grill cleaner formula that really works, and dissolves the nasty
leftovers without having to spend an entire day scrubbing?

And what think you of the self-cleaning oven technique for the grates?

Hank©[_3_] June 20th 13 01:05 PM

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Put a piece of tin foil or a cookie sheet on top of the grill surface to
hold the heat and turn the grill to high. Check every 10 minutes or so
to see how it's doing. A light scrubbing should be all that's needed
after that.

Eisboch[_8_] June 20th 13 01:51 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

--------------------------

Fwd'd since Harry has Hank in the Bozo bin ....

iBoaterer[_3_] June 20th 13 02:02 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

In article ,
says...

[...]

You can do the same with the grill, just turn all burners on high, close
the door and let 'er rip for awhile.

F.O.A.D. June 20th 13 02:06 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Ahh, thanks, but somehow I think any "advice" coming to me from "Hank"
on this subject would result in a fire, an explosion, or global
thermonuclear war. :)

As it turns out, I've found several cites on line for the self-cleaning
oven technique, so I am giving it a try with the stainless steel grills
and flame bar covers, which are heavy gauge stainless. There are a
couple of other major pieces inside the grip (the drip panel, for
example), that I can easily remove and take onto the lawn for a good
scrubbing.

Still, there must be some sort of spray-on cleaner that *really* works
on greasy grills. Somewhere.

Alternatively, Weber ought to make a self-cleaning barbecue
grill...flick a switch and voila! :)

F.O.A.D. June 20th 13 02:09 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On 6/20/13 9:02 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I hate to admit this, but I forgot to clean it out after we stopped
using it for the season last October. I've got the the heavy gauge parts
in the self-cleaning oven now, and I can smell the aroma of grease being
burned to death. We'll see how that works.

iBoaterer[_3_] June 20th 13 03:06 PM

[...]

Turning it up and closing the door does a great job, and it will smoke
like hell for awhile while it burns cobwebs, grease, baked on "stuff"
etc. But after a good burning, it will all brush right off.

Eisboch[_8_] June 20th 13 03:31 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

We just close the top, crank up all the burners to full and wait until
it stops smoking.
Once it cools off any residue left easily brushes off.

You don't want to super clean it. A grill is like an old fashioned
cast iron frying pan. Needs to be "seasoned".
The high temperatures reached in the "cleaning mode" described above
will kill any bacteria.

Hank©[_3_] June 20th 13 03:49 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On 6/20/2013 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Do you really believe that?

Hank©[_3_] June 20th 13 03:55 PM

On 6/20/2013 9:06 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

I understand if you're scared to follow my advice. ;-)

True North[_2_] June 20th 13 04:24 PM

On Thursday, 20 June 2013 11:31:39 UTC-3, Eisboch wrote:

We just close the top, crank up all the burners to full and wait until

it stops smoking.

Once it cools off any residue left easily brushes off.

You don't want to super clean it. A grill is like an old fashioned

cast iron frying pan. Needs to be "seasoned".

The high temperatures reached in the "cleaning mode" described above

will kill any bacteria.

This is what our instruction said and I follow them, although our BBQ has ceramic coated grill panels.

Each spring I do a proper cleaning of dismantling everything I can and scooping up all the crud that drops down to the bottom.

True North[_2_] June 20th 13 04:28 PM

On Thursday, 20 June 2013 12:24:12 UTC-3, True North wrote:
On Thursday, 20 June 2013 11:31:39 UTC-3, Eisboch wrote:

We just close the top, crank up all the burners to full and wait until

it stops smoking.

Once it cools off any residue left easily brushes off.

You don't want to super clean it. A grill is like an old fashioned

cast iron frying pan. Needs to be "seasoned".

The high temperatures reached in the "cleaning mode" described above

will kill any bacteria.

This is what our instruction said and I follow them, although our BBQ has ceramic coated grill panels.

Each spring I do a proper cleaning of dismantling everything I can and scooping up all the crud that drops down to the bottom.

BTW.. I saw a program warning of brass brush particles coming loose from cleaning brushed and causing health problems for people.
I checked my brush and sure enough I could pull out the bristles where the high heat had melted the nylon brush a bit.
Might be a good idea to see if y'all can pull any bristles out of your brushes.

John H[_2_] June 20th 13 05:48 PM

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:56:01 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

[...]

Try 'Awesome', a cleaner available at your local Family Dollar store.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

Califbill June 20th 13 06:50 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

------------

Take the grills off and put in heavy plastic bag and spray cleaner on them.
Seal up and let set for the day. Or get a Treager, does not seem to burn on
to the grills and the plate underneath comes out to scrape or clean as
needed. Not a lot of nooks and crannies to get stuff stuck in. Also is
much better than any gas grill as to flavor.

Califbill June 20th 13 06:52 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

[...]

------------------

Saw the after affects of guys girlfriend leaving the grill on high and
unattended. Melted lots of the covering parts. Was an expensive error.

iBoaterer[_3_] June 20th 13 06:55 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

In article ,
says...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Well, for flavor, NOTHING beats a wood fired smoker.

Califbill June 20th 13 07:10 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

---------------------------------
I have both an offset smoker and the Traeger. They both do great. Not much
difference in the two in flavor, but the Traeger is a lot nicer to control.
Is a wood pellet BBQ if thermostat and digital temp control, electric
igniter. Did a couple bacon wrapped filets last night with fresh pepper
and Blue cheese topping, some fresh asparagus and sweet potato. Nice smoky
flavor to all.

iBoaterer[_3_] June 20th 13 07:33 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

In article ,
says...

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

I will bet you ANY amount of money that if you go to a bbq competition
the judges will know from the very first bite that you used a Traeger.
Been there done that for over 20 years now in competitions.

[email protected] June 20th 13 09:25 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if you want to go the wood pellet route.

Earl[_91_] June 21st 13 01:00 AM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

Eisboch wrote:

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Exactly. Food from a new grill is never as good as a well-used grill.
Mine has a small tray that collects the excess grease from the large
tray that is under the entire cooking surface. I replace the small foil
tray when it is full and slide out the large tray to scrape out the
residue. I never clean it completely. That coating of grease probably
keeps it from corroding prematurely, too!

JustWaitAFrekinMinute June 21st 13 01:09 AM

On 6/20/2013 4:25 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if you want to go the wood pellet route.

Have you looked into the "clones"? Any reccomendations? I looked at the
Treager and it's nice, but the price is stiff...

JustWaitAFrekinMinute June 21st 13 01:59 AM

On 6/20/2013 8:32 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:56:01 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

I'm only an occasional "griller," and I'll be the first to admit my
knowledge of the care and keeping of a barbecue grill is minimal. To
wit, the problem is keeping the grill spiffy enough to satisfy even my
minimal non-OCD male standards of cleanliness.

OCD cleanliness and grills don't go together

To start with, the only part that needs to be somewhat clean is the
grate the food goes on but you are supposed to bring it all up to heat
before you start cooking so it is not a germ thing.

I brush mine when I am done and wipe them down again before the food
goes on. Beyond that, I clean the grill once or twice a year (take it
apart in the yard and hit it with a pressure cleaner)

I have a 10 year old stainless Sams gas grill that I abuse by putting
wood chips and occasionally charcoal in. If it finally does rot out, I
will buy another one and burn it up.
I have bought new burners, flame tamers and grates a couple times over
that time.
This thing gets used 2-4 times a week, year around. More in the summer
when I don't want cooking heat in the house. My oven and water heater
are outside the A/C envelope too.

Same goes for me except I don't use mine as much and it's not SS. I
change the burners "use ss for that" here and there but it lives under
cover so it's not rotting out much. I heat it up before I use it and
scrape it off, and do the same when I am done...

Califbill June 21st 13 05:01 AM

wrote in message

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if you
want to go the wood pellet route.

----------------------
I think the only improvement on my Traeger I would like is an easy way to
empty the pellet hopper to change the wood type. I know there are others,
but better? Maybe, maybe not. Probably cheaper.

Califbill June 21st 13 05:05 AM

wrote in message ...

[...]

---------------

My SS gas grill, that the Traeger replaced had a $100 replacement heater
tube. I modified it to use Walmart replacement tubes, but still was always
having problems. So I cut the top of the case off, welded the side burner
to the cabinet, and put a marble top on the cabinet. Now I have a side
burner and a nice prep table. Holds the propane tank.

JustWaitAFrekinMinute June 21st 13 05:52 AM

On 6/21/2013 12:01 AM, Califbill wrote:
wrote in message

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if
you want to go the wood pellet route.

----------------------
I think the only improvement on my Traeger I would like is an easy way
to empty the pellet hopper to change the wood type. I know there are
others, but better? Maybe, maybe not. Probably cheaper.

Sounds silly but I picked up a vacuum at Lowes a couple years back. It's
only a power head, filter, and hose, no attachments, no tank... it is
designed to sit on top of any regular five gallon paint bucket and cost
maybe 20 bucks. It would be great for emptying the hopper and it's cheap
enough you could get one and dedicate it to just that...

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/v...c.php?id=33525

Not to mention there us usually a sale somewhere for those little one
gallon ShopVacs for 20-30 bucks too...

Califbill June 21st 13 06:13 AM

wrote in message

[...]

I have a couple shop vacs. Just would be nice if they had a small drain
chute for changing pellets. As to the 5 gallon vacs, in the 1960's we
created the monster shop vac for a 5 gallon can. We took the Lamb vacuum
motor off a CDC tape drive with vacuum columns , same physical size as they
old motors on the 5 gallon can vac. Except it had about 4x the suction of
the original. I just scoop out most and toss in the new pellets. Mostly I
use hickory, so do not change much.

F.O.A.D. June 21st 13 11:08 AM

On 6/21/13 12:05 AM, Califbill wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

Wow...you guys are really serious about grilling! I got a steal two
years ago on a huge Weber gas grill, a model that was being upgraded,
and Home Despot apparently had a lot of inventory. A kazillion pieces
and parts in a really heavy box.

Anyway, we just use it as an outdoor cooker on the deck cooker,
typically for chicken or fish and some veggies in a pan, and once in a
while for a burger or steak. We don't eat a lot of beef, so we're not
into "high level" barbecuing.

The grates are now clean, thanks to the self-cleaning oven, and the only
messy part left is the big drip pan at the bottom of the grill that
supposedly channels the goop to a tossable aluminum foil tray.
I have to clean the grill on the deck by disassembling it partially and
taking the parts inside or into the yard. I don't want a big mess on the
deck.

John H[_2_] June 21st 13 04:14 PM

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:53:09 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 06:08:51 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

Wow...you guys are really serious about grilling! I got a steal two
years ago on a huge Weber gas grill, a model that was being upgraded,
and Home Despot apparently had a lot of inventory. A kazillion pieces
and parts in a really heavy box.

Anyway, we just use it as an outdoor cooker on the deck cooker,
typically for chicken or fish and some veggies in a pan, and once in a
while for a burger or steak. We don't eat a lot of beef, so we're not
into "high level" barbecuing.

The grates are now clean, thanks to the self-cleaning oven, and the only
messy part left is the big drip pan at the bottom of the grill that
supposedly channels the goop to a tossable aluminum foil tray.
I have to clean the grill on the deck by disassembling it partially and
taking the parts inside or into the yard. I don't want a big mess on the
deck.

Mine is always such a mess when I get around to cleaning it that I
have to take it to a part of the yard away from anything I care about
I take out the grates and burners, tip it over and blast it with the
pressure cleaner. Crap goes everywhere.
The drip tray that came with it gave up the ghost a while ago so I
made a new one from 18ga galvanized. That seems to be doing OK.
Other than that the thing seems to be doing OK

I use a Weber 220 for the house gas grill, a 120 for the trailer. Clean the big chunks off the
inside about once a year. The grill is porcelainized cast iron. High heat and the metal brush keep
it clean. The Weber spray on 'No Stick' works well.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

JustWaitAFrekinMinute June 21st 13 04:18 PM

On 6/21/2013 10:53 AM, wrote:
[...]

Again, I am in the same boat... It's bbq for ****'s sake. It's suppose
to be down and dirty.

F.O.A.D. June 21st 13 04:26 PM

On 6/21/13 11:18 AM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 6/21/2013 10:53 AM, wrote:
[...]

I figure it is dangerous enough eating barbecue without having bits and
pieces of year old food from previous grillings falling onto it. :) I
don't mind a "patina" of grease and whatever on the grill, though I do
like keeping the grates reasonably sanitary.

Califbill June 21st 13 04:46 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

m...

wrote in message ...

[...]

-------

We bbq mostly chicken, pork and fish. If you have a wood burning grill,
then you will get more flavor. Gas, you might as well use the broiler. We
have an electric skillet with a broiler lid, so not even a lot of mess to
clean up.

iBoaterer[_3_] June 21st 13 05:10 PM

wrote:
[...]

After they reach a certain temp they are sanitary.

[email protected] June 21st 13 06:02 PM

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:09:05 PM UTC-4, JustWaitAFrekinMinute! wrote:
On 6/20/2013 4:25 PM, wrote:

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if you want to go the wood pellet route.

Have you looked into the "clones"? Any reccomendations? I looked at the
Treager and it's nice, but the price is stiff...

A friend has a Green Mountain and really likes it.
http://greenmountaingrills.com/
Not really much of a diff in price, though.

iBoaterer[_3_] June 21st 13 08:06 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:10:20 -0400, iBoaterer
wrote:

I figure it is dangerous enough eating barbecue without having bits and
pieces of year old food from previous grillings falling onto it. :) I
don't mind a "patina" of grease and whatever on the grill, though I do
like keeping the grates reasonably sanitary.

After they reach a certain temp they are sanitary.

One sixty according to the guv'mint but I get the grill hotter than
that before I ever get the food on. That is particularly true of
steaks and burgers. You want them to be assaulted by the heat to sear
in the juices.
One of my favorites lately is Mahi steaks. You really want the grill
hot for that. You want a little crust on the outside and the inside
just starting to turn opaque. They will continue to cook when you take
them off the grill so don't overdo it. Scallops and shrimp are the
same way.

Yes, fish in general.

John H[_2_] June 21st 13 08:06 PM

On 6/21/2013 10:53 AM, wrote:
[...]

How would your bits and pieces of year old food from previous grillings fall onto your food? My bits
and pieces fall through the grate, and I don't ever put new food under the grate. In fact, I've
never even heard of that.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

John H[_2_] June 21st 13 08:08 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:02:05 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:46:37 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

We bbq mostly chicken, pork and fish. If you have a wood burning grill,
then you will get more flavor. Gas, you might as well use the broiler. We
have an electric skillet with a broiler lid, so not even a lot of mess to
clean up.

That is why I throw hickory chips in there.
I have a spare "floater" from my spa that I drop in a bucket of water
with a handful of chips and let them soak an hour or so and they smoke
up real good.
For chicken or ribs I sometimes use charcoal. Put the charcoal in,
fire up the gas and when the charcoal is good and hot, turn off the
gas. Just be sure to use pure charcoal, not that chemical laced "match
light" stuff.

I have tried soaking the chips and using them dry. I can tasted no difference in the flavor. Now I'm
cutting up chunks of oak for the smoker. Work and taste well.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

iBoaterer[_3_] June 21st 13 08:59 PM

wrote:

[...]

I burn nothing but oak and hickory in my smoker, except for an
occasional apple or pecan log for seafood.

John H[_2_] June 21st 13 09:14 PM

Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:18:36 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In a gas grill, dry chips just burst into flames.

I never tried oak. I did get a bag of mesquite and that is not a
flavor I am trying to achieve. Some around here say buttonwood and
orange are good but I haven't tried that either.

Oh, I was thinking a smoker. For the gas grill I wrap the chips in tin foil, punctured several
times. Works pretty well.

At one of the Bluegrass festivals, 'Pickin' in the Panhandle', there was also a BBQ contest. It was
like the ones you see on TV, with the trailer mounted smokers and grills - big hummers!

There was also a 'pulled pork' contest for amateurs. Each of the contestants were given half a pork
shoulder, about a ten-pound chunk, to prepare for judging.

I took a walk amongst those folks and asked lots of questions, like 'What kind of wood do you use?'.
Almost all of them used oak - regular chunks of oak firewood. Since I've got about two cords of the
damn stuff chopped up in my back yard, it's quite handy. I just chunk it up with a chop saw.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

JustWaitAFrekinMinute June 21st 13 10:29 PM

wrote:

[...]

Oak will make your meat sour... Be very careful not to get any bark in
there either...

JustWaitAFrekinMinute June 21st 13 10:30 PM

wrote:

[...]

Ooooops. it's white oak that makes it sour... **** oak we call it or
swamp oak... Sorry for the other post, I am sure it will turn into a
huge pee pee measuring contest for some he)