Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default The gift who keeps on giving...

Sarah Palin for Senate? Some tea party activists want her to run
By KIM MURPHY | Los Angeles Times

SEATTLE — Sarah Palin's last elective position in Alaska ended early
when in 2009 she abandoned the governorship midway through her first term.

But tea party activists appear eager for a comeback, urging supporters
to contribute money toward recruiting Palin to run for the U.S. Senate
in her home state, where, according to an email sent out this week, she
has a "clear path" to defeat incumbent Democrat Mark Begich.

"You and I both know that Sarah Palin is a fighter who will stand up to
Harry Reid and his pals in the Senate to protect our Constitution in
issues like amnesty, gun control and our nation's crushing debt," said
the email from Todd Cefaratti of the Tea Party Leadership Fund.

"We know that, with Sarah in the Senate, conservatives across America
can rest a little easier at night knowing that she's at the watch," it said.

If Palin is enthusiastic about running for the Senate in Alaska, she
hasn't said so. Nor has her popularity in Alaska endured to the degree
that it has on the national stage since her nomination to the GOP
presidential ticket in 2008 and subsequent years as a conservative media
celebrity.

"I don't see Governor Palin really as a likely opponent," said Anchorage
pollster Matt Larkin of Dittman Research, which did work for Palin's
gubernatorial campaign. "She doesn't have the popularity that she once
had in the state of Alaska; it's fallen off significantly."

Begich managed to win the seat in a state where Republicans hold a
substantial edge by running against the late Republican Sen. Ted Stevens
when he was under indictment on federal corruption charges and was found
guilty on the eve of the 2008 election. The case was later tossed out.

Since then, though, Begich has toed an independent line, pushing
strongly for oil and gas development in Alaska in votes that differed
little on Alaska resource issues from those of GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski.

"His numbers are absolutely as good as they could be, given a state like
Alaska," state Democratic Party spokesman Zack Fields said.

A February poll by Public Policy Polling showed him with a 49 percent
approval rating and leading most potential contenders, including Palin,
who polled 37 percent to Begich's 54 percent.

Read more he
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/04/3...#storylink=cpy

Make it so, Sarah...run. Please.