Default The Chesapeake Bay just can't win...

....for losing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/2013/04/07/a0c29f48-972f-11e2-b68f-dc5c4b47e519_story_1.html

Keep your donations to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation pouring in. Here's the URL in case you've
misplaced it. Also a very nice newsletter. Just click on 'DONATE' at the top to make your quarterly
contribution. Remember...it's DEDUCTIBLE!!

http://www.cbf.org/

Salmonbait

--
Hope you're having a spectacular day!

In article , says...

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 14:04:00 -0400, J Herring
wrote:

...for losing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/2013/04/07/a0c29f48-972f-11e2-b68f-dc5c4b47e519_story_1.html

Keep your donations to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation pouring in. Here's the URL in case you've
misplaced it. Also a very nice newsletter. Just click on 'DONATE' at the top to make your quarterly
contribution. Remember...it's DEDUCTIBLE!!

http://www.cbf.org/

Salmonbait

It sounds like you have a problem with a lack of aquatic vegetation.
That is what brings down the carbon numbers and boosts DO.
Have they got a handle on the waste oil that comes down the storm
drains and the sewer treatment plants yet? They said that used to coat
the bottom and stifle grass when I was up there. It may be old bad
problems finally catching up with you.
Until you get people to stop flushing oil down the toilet and start
processing street runoff, you are not going to have a clean bay.
I am really surprised they are not buying old oil for reprocessing.

Once this becomes a target for "scrappers" a lot of our waste oil
problems might go away.

The oil draining thorugh the storm sewers may not be solved yet but, they have painted
"Chesapeake Bay Drainage" on many storm sewer intakes. They haven't been keeping up witht
painting the words lately in Montgomery County.

The once perceived threat to the Chesapeake was the Hydrilla, which actaully turned out to be
a blessing for the bass fishing.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Initially hydrilla may not seem to be a problem but the trouble starts
when it gets old and dies. It creates a mat of rotting vegetation on
the bottom that eats the dissolved oxygen releasing the carbon
dioxide. The CO2 promotes more hydrillia growth and pretty soon you
have nothing but hydrilla.
You can end up with stratified water where the top may show a decent
DO number but the water at the bottom is a dead zone.
They actually rake the lakes here to thin out this hydrilla mat.
Natural sea grasses are a far better plant to have. They don't grow as
fast so they don't create as much biomass to be oxidized when it dies.

Where is this growing? I did not think it was that salt tolerant. This
must be a north bay thing

Gee, just to think, if you leave nature alone, ie: natural sea grasses,
things work out in harmony. It's when man thinks he can alter nature
that the problems occur. Look at what happened years ago when man
decided it would be a great idea to drain the Everglades and make the
water flow where they thought it should.

wrote:

[...]

I didn't know it was a bay thing either. It's definitely a Potomac River thing, even stopping up
some of the channels for some marinas.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling' - the liberals' last stand.

In article , says...

wrote:

[...]

Ocean traversing ships and wooden pallets have been the primary bearers of invasive species.

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 21:05:42 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:31:42 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

Gee, just to think, if you leave nature alone, ie: natural sea grasses,
things work out in harmony. It's when man thinks he can alter nature
that the problems occur. Look at what happened years ago when man
decided it would be a great idea to drain the Everglades and make the
water flow where they thought it should.

It is very hard to look anywhere in the world and see a place where
man has a responsible water policy. In the case of the bay, the
biggest problem is the 15 million people in Maryland, Virginia, DC and
central Pennsylvania who use it for a sewer.

I was poking around on the "eyes on the bay" web site and the worst
places are where the various rivers dump into the bay. The Susquehanna
may be the worst. That is the combined crap from the whole central
north east. You **** in the river in Binghampton New York and it will
be coming out through Hampton Roads eventually..
Of course for nutrient load, you have lawn chemicals, sewer treatment
plants and Frank Purdue.

I am involved with water quality monitoring here because I saw what
happened up there.
They may actually fix the Everglades some day. At least the trend is
in the right direction.

It's proof that if you put enough big-assed snakes in a swamp, people will stay out of the swamp!

Salmonbait

wrote:

[...]

That's about the stupidest thing you've come up with since the
polymer/alloy idiocy.

Help the Chesapeake! John H. General 0 April 27th 07 09:38 PM
Somewhere on the Chesapeake [email protected] Cruising 2 September 17th 05 02:20 AM
Bad day on the Chesapeake Bay! John H General 34 May 28th 05 05:34 AM
Chesapeake Bay needs some help! John H General 2 March 20th 04 01:22 PM
Chesapeake Bay Ice Al Kubeluis General 6 February 28th 04 02:47 AM