Guy Schwartz

Default main sail mast furling

I would like to know if the performance of the sail is diminished with main
sail that is furled in the mast versus the conventional type sail?

Jeff Richards

The mainsail will have no battens, so it will not hold its shape as well as
a conventional main, and the leach will be concave, reducing the area.
Also, it will probably be loose-footed, and this further affects the shape,
regardless of how tight the foot is pulled.
--
Jeff Richards

"Guy Schwartz" wrote in message
m...
I would like to know if the performance of the sail is diminished with

main
sail that is furled in the mast versus the conventional type sail?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:07:18 GMT, "Jeff Richards"
wrote:

The mainsail will have no battens, so it will not hold its shape as well=

as
a conventional main, and the leach will be concave, reducing the area.
Also, it will probably be loose-footed, and this further affects the =

shape,
regardless of how tight the foot is pulled.

Vertical battens are sometimes used with in-mast furling systems. IMHO
performance is probably diminished a little but not that most cruising
types would notice. A cunningham would probably not be used.

Terry Spragg

Naw, learn to sail with a little softness in your main luff, and
take it easy! Don't reef until later. Keep your leach under
control, and luff, a little. Can you stretch a roller reefed mail
luff? Can you schwoosh it? You do have a system to reef in really
strong winds, eh? How well do you trust an in mast system to
improve your sailing skill? Complicated machinery complicates
things. When an in mast furler jams, and it will, reef you shall,
or perish. Carry a fire axe, for the mast, Billy.

You could set a record, and go around the world 3 times without
service, and just let one lousey cotter pin fail, and BLOOIE! No
residuals.

Terry K. -Luddite inc. A division of:

-SofDevCo-
Software Development Co-operators.

No cotter pin has ever failed."

No, you can't find our Web Site. It's secure. Even against moles.
W're face to face, in a Double Glass Earthquake room, jammed,
blocked, spoofed, discrete. I.R. fog button? Goggles?"

Don't call. We've too much business, already.

Guy Schwartz wrote:

I would like to know if the performance of the sail is diminished with main
sail that is furled in the mast versus the conventional type sail?

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

A Sailor

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 04:47:49 GMT, "Guy Schwartz"
wrote:
I would like to know if the performance of the sail is diminished with main
sail that is furled in the mast versus the conventional type sail?

In general yes. Also the extra weight aloft will increase the amount of heel
(not desireable). Take a good look at some of the in-boom systems now available.
Good sail shape, can still use a full batten main. An you can still drop the
main if it jams at a time when reducing sail is very advisable.