steel

Default Garmin 76 GPS

I am looking for a relatively flexable handheld GPS, for boating and other
uses. I have seen the Garmin 76, but can't tell the difference between a
GPS 76 and GPSMAP 76.

any help/suggestions? thanks.

SlipJig

Best recommendation is that you go to www.garmin.com and read the
descriptions for each.
You can view / download the spec sheets and entire manuals for study.

A brief summary is:
gps 76 the base model of the 76 series. WAAS, lots of waypoint and track
memory;
map 76 map display, has 8 mb of memory for maps
map 76S map display has 24 mb of memory for maps; has an 2 sensors -
barameter and electronic/magnetic compass

The 76 series has the largest display of the handhelds.

Hope this helps.

"steel" wrote in message
I am looking for a relatively flexable handheld GPS, for boating and other
uses. I have seen the Garmin 76, but can't tell the difference between a
GPS 76 and GPSMAP 76.

any help/suggestions? thanks.

Kalinic

hey,

try looking at a Magellan Marine handheld GPS. I like that one but here in
Croatia they're too expensive. It's worth buying it in US.

u.

"steel" wrote in message
I am looking for a relatively flexable handheld GPS, for boating and other
uses. I have seen the Garmin 76, but can't tell the difference between a
GPS 76 and GPSMAP 76.

any help/suggestions? thanks.

Arthur Kelley

I may have missed most of this thread, but in case your question is still
unanswered...

The units are the same EXCEPT the GPSMAP76 has the chartplotter feature so
you get maps instead of just numbers and arrows. For boating, the Garmin
BlueCharts, which the GPSMAP 76 accepts, are excellent

"steel" wrote in message
I am looking for a relatively flexable handheld GPS, for boating and

other
uses. I have seen the Garmin 76, but can't tell the difference between

GPS 76 and GPSMAP 76.

any help/suggestions? thanks.

Bruce E. Stemplewski

Forget the 76 and go for the 176. The 76's screen is far too small to be
practical. In fact I would like to see the 176 have a larger screen then it
does too. But it's that largest screen out there and still completely
portable.

Bruce
www.stempsoft.com

"steel" wrote in message
I am looking for a relatively flexable handheld GPS, for boating and other
uses. I have seen the Garmin 76, but can't tell the difference between a
GPS 76 and GPSMAP 76.

any help/suggestions? thanks.

Robert E. Titus Jr.

Default go with the Garmin 72

The Garmin 72 is designed FOR boating, has alarms for Anchor drag, Deep and
Shallow water, and off course.

It also has information on the tides, Moon and Sun...

It's Garmin's Lowest priced unit for Marine use....