Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Default Bareboat charter in Netherlands

Greetings all & sundry,

I am chartering a boat in the Netherlands next April (best weather month,
I'm told) and looking for tips and advice.

1) My sailing experience is San Francisco Bay, USA (traffic, currents,
tides, wind conditions, navigation, etc). What are the big differences in
conditions that are going to trip me up?

2) My boat experience is Catalinas/S2/American-made boats. What are the
big differences in the local boats that are going to trip me up?

3) I haven't done a great deal of investigation yet, but I'm thinking of
chartering out of one of the places in Monnickendam. Suggestions,
thoughts, issues?

4) Suggestions on gear I should and shouldn't pack?

5) Reading list suggestions?

Any and all advice is extremely welcome and appreciated. Thank you all
very much!
Wim

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote in
message . 17...
: Greetings all & sundry,
:
: I am chartering a boat in the Netherlands next April (best weather month,
: I'm told) and looking for tips and advice.

Snip
Too cold, aim for June or July. Longer days and warmer! Check when schools
are out and avoid that time if you can.
:
: 1) My sailing experience is San Francisco Bay, USA (traffic, currents,
: tides, wind conditions, navigation, etc). What are the big differences in
: conditions that are going to trip me up?

Snip
Not much for the Ijselmeer and Randmeren.
Re Wadden and North Sea the tides/current are to be checked.
:
: 2) My boat experience is Catalinas/S2/American-made boats. What are the
: big differences in the local boats that are going to trip me up?

Snip
Not much if you get a Beneteau GibSea or similar vessels. Size?
:
: 3) I haven't done a great deal of investigation yet, but I'm thinking of
: chartering out of one of the places in Monnickendam. Suggestions,
: thoughts, issues?

Snip
Roompot?
:
: 4) Suggestions on gear I should and shouldn't pack?

Snip
If you have a survival suit, bring it along, definetely. My nephews were
laughing their head off until we had a "low" passing over us. They could not
wait to get into my suit to keep warm on their watch :-)

:
: 5) Reading list suggestions?
:
: Any and all advice is extremely welcome and appreciated. Thank you all
: very much!

Have fun and fair winds.
--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

Rene Donkers

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote
in . 17:

Greetings all & sundry,

I am chartering a boat in the Netherlands next April (best weather
month, I'm told)

Who told you that ?? Your Eskimo friend ??

--
Rene Donkers
Newsgroup handeling by XNEWS

For e-mail replace nospam into nl
Wim

If you do not know the answer(s) Rene than you should NOT reply! It is just
too negative.
And.......eskimos are now called Inuit in case you did not know ;-)
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

"Rene Donkers" wrote in message
: "Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote
: in . 17:
:
: Greetings all & sundry,
:
: I am chartering a boat in the Netherlands next April (best weather
: month, I'm told)
:
: Who told you that ?? Your Eskimo friend ??
:
:
:
: --
: Rene Donkers
: Newsgroup handeling by XNEWS
:
: For e-mail replace nospam into nl

Floyd Davidson

"Wim" wrote:

And.......eskimos are now called Inuit in case you did not know ;-)

Kinda depends, you know.

Yupik Eskimos don't. (They do like being call Yupik though!)

Inuit Eskimos like to be called Inuit.

Well, that is except for Inuit Eskimos who call themselves
Inupiat, because I have yet to meet any Inupiat who use the word
Inuit often. (Some of them intensely dislike the word.)

Russian Eskimos (all of whom are Yupik) don't like to be called
Inuit.

Canadian Eskimos (all of whom are Inuit) want to be called Inuit
and don't like to be called Eskimos.

Alaskan Eskimos prefer that you call them by their first name.
But if they are Yupik, they don't mind that, and if they are
Inupiat, they don't mind that. If you are referring to a crowd
that includes both, calling them Eskimos is just fine!

Garsh, I hope that isn't too confuseing. ;-)

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Len

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:44:23 GMT, "Jeffrey P. Vasquez"
wrote:

3) I haven't done a great deal of investigation yet, but I'm thinking of
chartering out of one of the places in Monnickendam. Suggestions,
thoughts, issues?

When you choose Monnickendam you'll have to spend 4 hours to reach the
Northsea. On the other hand the IJsselmeer (a big lake with lots of
nice historical towns around it) is next to it. Easy to sail, fresh
water, 3 m deep everywhere, no currents). You'll probably think its
crowded however

http://www.waterlandyacht.com/pages/...r/engindex.htm

Have fun, Len.