DMU

Default Ford 351 OMC Taking on Water (Water in oil)

The boat is EFI not carbed - but thanks.

"Bill Sheffield" wrote in message
You say that the boat is stored outside..... I have seen a lot of boats

that
have water in the oil. Sometimes it is caused by rain water leaking into

the
motor box and running down the carb. Check this possibility before you go
any further....

Bill

DMU

When you look into the riser, wouldn't you see evidence of water (rust) in
the exhaust?

Dave

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
When it happend to me it was rusted risers.

DMU

Bill,

A lot of good input. I will be busy this Saturday looking in to all this.
The Engine has only 212 hours on it, also a 1993. 4 years ago I did
have 2 freeze plugs blow out. I replaced them with the marine type.
The boat has been out several times since then. It has only been in
salt water once. Rest of the time it has been lake or river ran. The oil
gets changed every season, but this year water is filling up the sump fast
after only running it for a hour or so. I have pumped out a couple
gallons of sludge so far, and there is still more to go. My intake will be
pressure tested soon for leaks. I appreciate the time.

Thanks You

Dave

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message
et...
That would explain why all the piston tops are clean too, check that

intake
manifold out good, if it leaked to the inside of the fuel air chamber it
would go to all pistons, my block froze last winter and I have the 351,

1993
and the only thing that happened was the core plugs blew out. They do have

big oil cooler on them that could be a remote possibility, I don't think

it
is though, my oil cooler blew out and it looked fine inside on the water

and
oil side (I soldered it back together, no problems) and I ride in only

salt
water. I didn't read what u ride in? I was going to change the risers and
exhaust manifolds this yr. only about 400 hrs. on motor. If that water

pump
is solid on the back and has just the 2 water passages I could see a

problem
there, at gasket or pump housing as it looks as the back comes in contact
with the oil. was it allot of water in the oil? well it sounds like u are
getting allot of good remarks, GL figuring it out, I'm just a shade tree
auto. mech. trying to help. In NJ

"Bill Sheffield" wrote in message
You say that the boat is stored outside..... I have seen a lot of boats

that
have water in the oil. Sometimes it is caused by rain water leaking into

the
motor box and running down the carb. Check this possibility before you

go
any further....

Bill

DMU

Yes it does bill. But it is placed in such a manner that the water would
have to travel up hill in order to get to it. Plus a cover is over it like
an umbrella. Unless the rainfall fills up the engine compartment first.
There is no feasable way the water could enter through it. I believe a
manifold is to blame or I have a cracked block. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

. net...

"DMU" wrote in message
The boat is EFI not carbed - but thanks.

"Bill Sheffield" wrote in message
You say that the boat is stored outside..... I have seen a lot of

boats
that
have water in the oil. Sometimes it is caused by rain water leaking

into
the
motor box and running down the carb. Check this possibility before

you
go
any further....

Bill

Greg Boyles

I have a mercruiser 4 cylinder that gets water in the oil ever season. The
boat is tarped and the engine cover is on and all entrances to the oil are
blocked. My understanding is that as condensation gets in and around that
area it can collect that way. Now mind you I live in Colorado so even
thought the boat is covered some water will drip through the tarp and wind
up in the bilge. With the cold tempters in the winter Ice will collect
around where the drain hole is and block the drain hole. So as it melts and
freezes there is allot of moisture in the air around the engine. I found
that I just had to drain the oil and replace it . Then put some penetrating
oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a few hours. Then it fired
right up. I ran it and let it get good and warm. Shut it off and flushed out
the oil again. It seems to be a spring ritual here with this boat.

.. .

"DMU" wrote in message
The boat is EFI not carbed - but thanks.

"Bill Sheffield" wrote in message
You say that the boat is stored outside..... I have seen a lot of

boats
that
have water in the oil. Sometimes it is caused by rain water leaking

into
the
motor box and running down the carb. Check this possibility before

you
go
any further....

Bill

DMU

Hi,

My specific issue is this. New season - change the oil and filter.
I take the boat and run it on the lake for about an hour.
Come home, check oil level, and wollah - The oil is 3/4 the
way up the dipstick, yellow and as thick as mud.
Change the emusified oil and filter. Put new clean stuff in, take
the boat back to the lake the following day, and the same thing repeats.
The engine starts spitting the gunk out of the PVC tube and from
here, things get nasty. I understand condensation, but when I put
6 quarts of oil in and get 2.5 gallons out, there is something wrong.
It is not that humid here in central Texas. lol

Sometimes I wished I still lived in Colerado Springs. sigh

Dave

"Greg Boyles" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

.. .

"DMU" wrote in message
The boat is EFI not carbed - but thanks.

"Bill Sheffield" wrote in message
You say that the boat is stored outside..... I have seen a lot of

boats
that
have water in the oil. Sometimes it is caused by rain water

leaking
into
the
motor box and running down the carb. Check this possibility

before
you
go
any further....

Bill

DMU

The water pump was pulled today. The pump itself has no oil ports, however
the timing chain cover does, and showed some rust on the gasket.
I decided to purchase a cherry picker and engine stand today. I am going on
a business trip and will be back the 13th of November. The engine will
be removed then and dismantled totally for inspection. I discovered that the
bolts holding on the water pump timing chain cover were loose.
I pray that was the problem, but hell. I got it almost all the way tore down
now. Doing it all the way. Thanks for all the help guys...

Dave

"DMU" wrote in message
[...]

.. .