Default Thanks, but we'll pass on that cruise...

....any cruise.

Royal Caribbean Cruisers Ill With Apparent Norovirus
By GENEVIEVE SHAW BROWN
March 8, 2013—

abcnews.go.com

ABC News

More Than 100 Ill With Norovirus on Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas

A Royal Caribbean cruise ship has returned to port with more than 100
passengers sickened by a stomach illness thought to be norovirus.

Vision of the Seas returned to Port Everglades, Fla., after an 11-night
Caribbean cruise. One hundred five passengers and three crew members
fell ill, the cruise line said. There were 1,991 guests and 772 crew
members on board.

The ship returned as scheduled and ill passengers responded well to
over-the-counter medication being administered on board the ship, Royal
Caribbean International said.

The Centers for Disease Control, which tracks norovirus outbreaks on its
website, did not yet have a record of the incident.

In a statement to ABC News, the cruise line said, "At Royal Caribbean
International, we have high health standards for all our guests and
crew. During the sailing, we conduct enhanced cleaning on board the ship
to help prevent the spread of the illness. Additionally, when Vision of
the Seas arrived to Port Everglades, Fla., today, we conducted an
extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise
terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting the subsequent sailing."

Vision of the Seas just concluded an 11-night Caribbean sailing that
included port calls to Basseterre, St. Kitts; Roseau, Dominica;
Bridgetown, Barbados; St. George's, Grenada; Kraledijk, Bonaire; and
Oranjestad, Aruba.

According to the CDC website , "Norovirus is a very contagious virus.
You can get norovirus from an infected person, contaminated food or
water, or by touching contaminated surfaces. The virus causes your
stomach or intestines or both to get inflamed (acute gastroenteritis).
This leads you to have stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea and to throw up."

Because of the close quarters on a cruise ship, norovirus tends to
spread quickly.

The ship was scheduled to depart on its next voyage late Friday
afternoon. In an email to passengers scheduled to depart on today's
Vision of the Seas cruise, the cruise line said, "We will conduct
enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the terminal to help
prevent any illness from affecting your cruise."

The last recorded outbreak on a cruise line was in December 2012 on
Cunard's Queen Mary 2. The CDC reported 194 passengers and 11 crew
reported fell ill during the voyage. The same month, there was a
norovirus outbreak on another luxury cruise ship: The Emerald Princess.
In that case, five percent of all passengers -- 166, plus 30 crew --
fell ill on the sailing.

Copyright © 2013 ABC News Internet Ventures

- - -

On 3/9/13 4:51 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:46:25 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

[...]

I simply don't get the allure of a cruise. Just don't get it.

If you can get on a ship that takes you somewhere difficult or
impossible to get to any other way, it could be fun, but the way these
ships do it, it just seems like a way to overstuff yourself with food
while you make a mad dash to one island after another, all of which are
easily reached by plane in package deals that give you time to enjoy
your destination. Instead, you and your honey enjoy the privacy,
intimacy and overindulgences of being aboard a floating hotel with 2000
people you'll probably hope you never see again. Blech.

The ships remind of waterborne versions of the old Catskills resorts
like the Concord, Grossingers, et cetera. Back in the 1970s, when I
worked for the teachers union, the New York state outfits sometimes had
their annual conventions at these hotels, *after* Labor Day, when the
prices were slashed. Not a bad idea to bring 500 people to an
all-inclusive hotel with lots of activities, off the beaten path, and a
low day rate.

On 3/9/2013 5:04 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

There's your intolerance rearing it's ugly head again.

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:51:01 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I said that for about 60 years. Then I went on one. Lots of fun. Did it a couple more times. Was not
disappointed in the money I spent.

Salmonbait
--

"That's not a baby kicking, dear Bride, it's just a fetus!"
[Attributed to Harry Krause]

On 3/9/13 5:32 PM, J Herring wrote:
[...]

John Herring likes Carib cruises because they let him visit
pseudo-exotic places mainly occupied by black people without actually
having to be among them much.

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:04:07 -0400, Gogarty wrote:

Did our first big ship cruise over the Christmas holidays. We did absolutely
nothing and had a blast. The thing is the sea not the ship. We did not get off
the ship at all. Now we are looking for a Cruise to Nowhere.

Agree. I can spend a lot of time just sitting in a deck chair, drinking a cup of coffee, reading and
watching the waves go by. It's even better if the water's rough.

Salmonbait
--

"That's not a baby kicking, dear Bride, it's just a fetus!"
[Attributed to Harry Krause]

Too good to pass up... X ` Man General 92 October 24th 11 01:01 AM
New Pass sailmonstermomma General 4 March 26th 08 03:48 PM
Active Pass pe.rhodes Tall Ship Photos 2 September 14th 07 03:52 AM
OT - Another prediction comes to pass! [email protected] General 50 May 18th 06 05:37 AM
OT--Here's one bill that will never pass NOYB General 86 July 28th 05 12:52 PM