Default Death statistics

In article ,
says...

On 2/19/2013 7:31 PM, Meyer wrote:
On 2/19/2013 4:57 PM, Salmonbait wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:13:19 -0800, Urin Asshole
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:48:20 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

On 2/19/13 9:00 AM, Eisboch wrote:
For kicks I looked up the leading causes of death in the USA. Data
is
the final numbers from 2010 as published by the Center for Disease
Control.
Surprisingly, firearms related deaths didn't make the top ten and
firearms related homicides weren't even close to the top ten. It's
interesting that deaths caused by traffic accidents numbered about 3
times those of homicides involving firearms, but all the focus is on
more gun control laws.

Personal note: This is not a excuse of deaths caused by firearms,
but
rather an attempt to put it all in perspective.

Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364
Traffic accidents: 33,808
Firearms: 30,470 (19,392 suicides, 11,078 homicides)

There are solid statistically based predictions that state that
firearms
deaths will exceed traffic accident deaths in a couple of years.

Oh, you forgot to list the number of Americans who die of old age.

On a more serious note, I only took one college-level statistics
course
and have forgotten most of what I ever learned about that sort of
math,
so I asked a family member who has taken four graduate-level stats
courses about these sorts of comparisons (gun deaths vs. car deaths
vs.
cancer deaths, et cetera) and got a chuckle in response. "Such
comparisions are based on silliness and are statistically absurd. Yes,
more people die of cancer than of gunshot wounds but...so what?"

==========================

The number that surprised me was deaths by homicide involving
firearms. I read the same thing you did regarding firearm deaths
exceeding traffic deaths by 2015 however that includes suicides.
Unfortunately, although a gun is the method of choice for most
suicides, further gun restrictions won't eliminate them. As stated
in my post, the data is presented simply to put things in
perspective. 11,078 firearms related homicides is too many of course
but it's a reflection of violence in our society ... which also cannot
be totally eliminated. There are bad people in the world. But the
number is not the huge number that some of the media and proponents of
even more gun control measure would like you to believe.

My state has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation.
Permits require background checks and every purchase of a firearm at a
dealer involves a telephone check and taking of an electronic
fingerprint to verify that you are who you say you are and your permit
is valid. You must present a valid permit even for ammunition
purchases. But, our me-too governor has proposed and is pushing for
even more restrictive laws including jail time for purchasing more
than one firearm per month for existing permit holders, making
getting a permit more difficult, and putting a heavy state tax (up to
50%) on all ammunition sales (even range target practice rounds). I
don't see how that is going to affect the homicide rate by firearms in
the country.
All it is is political posturing in reaction to a horrible but
isolated event caused by a kid who was severely disturbed .... as are
all cases of mass murders.

By that twisted ****ing logic, we might as well do away with the NTSB
and all the other safety protocols, since they result in fewer deaths.
How about faulty cribs. What a load of horse****. You have a product
that's killing 1000s of people, but since it doesn't kill as many as
cancer, it's ok.

Where, Mr. U. Asshole, did he say 'it's OK'?

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' answer to a lost argument!

You know you live in a Country run by idiots if...
....the death penalty is a 'no-no', but death by Hellfire
*without* a trial is AOK!

That was foad's comment. Are you confused or is foad really urine A.

They are one in the same...

Liar.

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

wrote:

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

The numbers were presented to put things in perspective. Of
course any
deaths due to firearms is not ok .... but the number, especially
in
homicides, is not what is being hyped by the media and others and
some
politicians are over-reacting IMO, like the governor of my state.

How are they overreacting? Because more people die from cancer?

Is cancer made by others in a factory for the sole purpose of killing
like a gun is? THAT is where you idiots sound so stupid.

First of all, I am not an idiot.
Second of all, although guns can kill, not all gun owners own them to
kill.

Third, and for the final time, the numbers I presented were not
intended to compare cancer to guns.
It was simply to establish some realism in terms of the major causes
of all deaths, including those by guns.
For a nation with a population of over 315 million, the number of
homicide deaths involving guns is relatively small.
Don't go off your rocker assuming that I therefore think that's ok.
Of course it isn't. But people have to be realistic when babbling
about new gun laws.

On 2/20/2013 8:57 AM, True North wrote:
On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:48:30 AM UTC-4, Salmonbait wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:36:09 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,

says...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:19:14 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,

says...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:58:33 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

The number of suicides by gun might drop if it were a bit more difficult

and time consuming to buy pistols. In my state, there's a waiting period

that ends up running about 10 days from purchase to approval by the

state police. If you are suicidal and want a gun to end it and you don't

have one, you might change your mind in 10 days.

Not likely. Most people who seriously contemplate suicide, eventually

decide to do it. Japan has a much higher suicide rate than the US and

they have virtually zero firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

They're really good at sharpening knives too.

Salmonbait

I love my Japanese water stone. I have also used a Dozuki too. And, I

pulled the Dozuki across my finger nail by accident once. It always

amazes me when you do something stupid to yourself and the first things

you see is the blood, bright red and oozing, and them the pain hits.

Yesterday I was scratching around in my desk drawer for something and felt something sharp, but not

bad. Turned out to be a single edge razor blade. Had blood all over the place.

I'm thinking, "Why the **** did I leave a razor blade in my desk drawer?"

Oh well.

Salmonbait

--

"That's not a baby kicking, dear Bride,

that's just a fetus!"

....and now you'll be a gun owners??
Lord help the unsuspecting citizens of your town.

Singular or plural? Please make up your mind Donnie.

On 2/20/2013 9:01 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

He never did, that's how loogie starts more dumb tangents... he's a
liar, not a man at all, just a disturbed little twit like harry, looking
for success on the net. Makes them feel better for their failures to
come here and pretend they are useful to somebody...

We all know loog almost drank himself to death, \

Cite?

then pushed his wife
down the stairs,

Cite?

then his kid,

Cite?
then left the bbq burning on his porch
almost burned his kid out of her bed.....

Cite?

In other words, not one bit of truth, you lying pig. you low life scum
come here and say that others are lying, and NONE of the above is true.
What a piece of **** you really, truly are. You don't even have the
balls to support your family. Now go roll some Bugler for your cancerous
wife, asshole.

Looks like I got you pinned kevin... later bitch...

On 2/20/2013 7:59 AM, Tim wrote:
On Feb 20, 6:45 am, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

The decline in personal, face to face communications began in earnest
with the advent in the 1980s of bulletin boards and commercial services
like CompuServ. All the smart phones have done in that regard is make
such "communication" more accessible and portable.

I see virtually none of the foul behavior you mentioned on the moderated
boards I frequent for chatting and learning more about boating,
computers, smart phones. I see very little of it on FaceBook, but then,
I do pick and choose my friends there, and if I encounter someone who is
overly aggressive or foul-mouthed or insulting, I just drop that person.
I'm in a couple of affinity groups with literally hundreds of posters
and virtually everyone seems to behave reasonably.

rec.boats was a reasonably pleasant place until the extreme righties
drove almost everyone off. Most of the posters here are righties, and
they've tea-partied the joint. There's less than a handful of us
remaining here who are moderate right to moderate left and in the middle.

Harry, I'm glad I read this before I went to work. This was the laugh
of the day.

Thanks again!

LOL, you read his whole post! Thanks for starting my morning right

In article ,
says...

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message

[...]

Hey, you stupid little tool, I asked you for cites, have any, you lying
piece of ****?

Some interesting statistics John H.[_5_] General 3 July 22nd 12 08:09 PM
Statistics [email protected] ASA 1 August 19th 07 09:00 AM
A truly frightening set of statistics Flying Tadpole ASA 19 August 9th 04 04:47 AM
Boating statistics C. Nelson General 1 April 4th 04 06:03 AM