Default Who won the debate?

I'm interested in the opinions of the 25% who thought O'Bama did.
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 4, 6:23*pm, Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:20:59 -0400, Meyer wrote:
I'm interested in the opinions of the 25% who thought O'Bama did.

===

Meyer, last I heard, this was supposed to be a boating group. * I'm on
my boat as we speak. * How about you?

Where you cruising to now, Wayne?

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 16:27:38 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Where you cruising to now, Wayne?

===

A local shakedown cruise after a summer of project work. Just
finished converting one of our 8D starting batteries (150 pounds,
difficult location behind the stbd engine) to a pair of 31M AGMs (75
pounds each). I guess we're getting feeble in our old age because my
120 lb wife just can't wrestle a 150 lb battery over the top of an
engine the way she used to. Hopefully she'll have an easier time of
it now.

Of course on a boat project one thing always leads to another. When
you replace a lead/acid battery with AGMs, you also have to install a
new battery charger designed for AGMs, otherwise your expensive
collection of new batteries will soon be ruined. Installing a new
battery charger seems like a simple assignment but then you remember
that you're on a boat and nothing is ever simple. Prior to this
project we had one charger for all of the batteries because they were
all the same technology. Now I had to find an open breaker position
on the AC panel for a second charger, and sort out the asian spaghetti
installed by the builder and subsequent owners. That should be simple
but then you remember that you're on a boat...

Normal AC wiring in a house is neatly color coded - black, white and
green - for hot, neutral and safety ground respectively. The builders
of Grand Banks trawlers consulted with their experts in Singapore and
decided to simplify things by color coding all of the AC wiring with
red. This leads to a very harmonious looking wiring harness but is a
nightmare to trace out. At any rate all of that has been successfully
accomplished now and everything seems to be working well.

Stay tuned!

On Oct 4, 11:07*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:44:27 -0400, Wayne B

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:20:32 -0400, wrote:

I would get a pack of phasing tape at HD (usually at least 5-6 colors)
and re identify all of those wires to standard black, white and green

===

I've been doing that on an "as needed" basis when I'm into a circuit
for some reason. *The issue is actually even worse than I described
since only the "hot" wire of each circuit goes to the breaker panel.
Neutral and safety ground go to bus bars in a special panel located
elsewhere. *Everything is loose wire in harnesses of course, in the
same lovely shade of red.

I guess that is what happens in boats where there are no enforceable
standards although the ABYC does say manufacturers should use the NEC
as a guideline on 120/240v circuits

I am still in the planning stage on my new boat project but I do want
to be sure I make the wiring easier to work on. I started out with a
neat wiring harness but, over the last 22 years it is the typical rats
nest you find behind a console. I am think about getting off the $500,
ditching my old analog instruments and buying the Yamaha digital
display but I am still not sure I trust it.

Digital demonstrates the classic difference between accuracy and
precision. A digital gauge can give you a wildly inaccurate reading,
precise out to 3 decimal places.

I still like all the wiring to my lights in conduit with waterproof
boxes for the splices. That is always a chronic problem in a
boat (keeping the lights on) and mine have been virtually trouble free
for 2 decades. I think a LED replacement will eliminate the few
problems I have had (bulbs and a crudded up socket once)
My breakers are in a gray NEMA 3R box with a gasketed flip cover so
they have been solid.

Ha, ha... all one color, and all red at that! That's a real hoot.. Of
course if it were me, I would be going crazy. In the spirit of fair
play I will stipulate that I am in fact, already insane..

Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:20:32 -0400, wrote:
I would get a pack of phasing tape at HD (usually at least 5-6 colors)
and re identify all of those wires to standard black, white and green

===

I've been doing that on an "as needed" basis when I'm into a circuit
for some reason. *The issue is actually even worse than I described
since only the "hot" wire of each circuit goes to the breaker panel.
Neutral and safety ground go to bus bars in a special panel located
elsewhere. *Everything is loose wire in harnesses of course, in the
same lovely shade of red.

You mean, they don't wire to any kind of 'standard?"

?8^ 0

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 15:06:24 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:20:32 -0400, wrote:
I would get a pack of phasing tape at HD (usually at least 5-6 colors)
and re identify all of those wires to standard black, white and green

===

I've been doing that on an "as needed" basis when I'm into a circuit
for some reason. *The issue is actually even worse than I described
since only the "hot" wire of each circuit goes to the breaker panel.
Neutral and safety ground go to bus bars in a special panel located
elsewhere. *Everything is loose wire in harnesses of course, in the
same lovely shade of red.

You mean, they don't wire to any kind of 'standard?"

===

Of course they do. It's the Asian AWAR standard (All Wires Are Red).

:-)

?8^ 0

Tim Tim is offline

Default Who won the debate? Now wiring on boats

On Oct 5, 11:33*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 20:59:50 -0400, Wayne B

wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:20:32 -0400, wrote:
I would get a pack of phasing tape at HD (usually at least 5-6 colors)
and re identify all of those wires to standard black, white and green

===

I've been doing that on an "as needed" basis when I'm into a circuit
for some reason. *The issue is actually even worse than I described
since only the "hot" wire of each circuit goes to the breaker panel.
Neutral and safety ground go to bus bars in a special panel located
elsewhere. *Everything is loose wire in harnesses of course, in the
same lovely shade of red.

You mean, they don't wire to any kind of 'standard?"

===

Of course they do. *It's the Asian AWAR standard (All Wires Are Red).

*:-)

?8^ 0

ABYC does have a pretty good standard for wiring and wire colors but
it is still voluntary for the manufacturer.
I do notice it does conform pretty well to the way outboard
controllers are wired in that fat cable and the wiring in the motor
itself.

http://www.marinewiring.com/abyc-mar...lectrical-wiri...

There are more topics in the pulldown on the right

Used to see a lot of odd code-color wiring variations with automotive
manufacturers., then it got to be reasonable standard thanks to SAE.
But the Europeans and the Orientals still thought differently.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, Wayne B wrote:
[...]

I remember when Ford used Red or Black for both battery cables... They
always matched though...

Debate Poll from AOL Bobsprit ASA 1 October 15th 04 05:12 AM
Non-partisan debate observation Gary Warner General 37 October 11th 04 01:19 PM
Buzzwords from VP Debate Doug Kanter General 14 October 8th 04 05:28 PM
The Political Debate Gilligan ASA 99 October 8th 04 02:28 AM