Default Alaska with Disney...Departing Seattle

As promised...some shots from the Disney cruise to Alaska.

The Disney Wonder is a beautiful ship. Here she is being refueled as we get ready to board.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/jherring1/Alaska%20on%20the%20%20Disney%20Wonder/Seattle19.jpg?t=1344090847

Once aboard, while awaiting departure, it's easy to see why people love Seattle:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/jherring1/Alaska%20on%20the%20%20Disney%20Wonder/Seattle44.jpg?t=1344090884

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/jherring1/Alaska%20on%20the%20%20Disney%20Wonder/Seattle50e.jpg?t=1344090827

This guy escorted us for about a half hour. I suppose it was to protect us from submarine attack, or
to keep us on board and not trying to infiltrate Washington!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/jherring1/Alaska%20on%20the%20%20Disney%20Wonder/Seattle58.jpg?t=1341753146

Although nice and sunny, the temperature was on the cool side. Perhaps that explains why the
promenade deck was so unpopulated:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/jherring1/Alaska%20on%20the%20%20Disney%20Wonder/FirstDayAboard17.jpg?t=1341753948

Next stop...Tracy Arm Fjord.
RG RG is offline

Next stop...Tracy Arm Fjord.

If you have the opportunity, take a smaller excursion boat up the Tracy Arm.
They will make some interesting stops along the way, get you up close and
personal to the bergs floating down the arm, and most important, get you as
close as is safe to the face of North Sawyer Glacier. I have some terrific
shots of the glacier calving that couldn't have been had from the cruise
ship. The excursion boat will rendezvous with the cruise ship in the arm
for you to reboard.

RG

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 08:27:35 -0700, "RG" wrote:

Next stop...Tracy Arm Fjord.

If you have the opportunity, take a smaller excursion boat up the Tracy Arm.
They will make some interesting stops along the way, get you up close and
personal to the bergs floating down the arm, and most important, get you as
close as is safe to the face of North Sawyer Glacier. I have some terrific
shots of the glacier calving that couldn't have been had from the cruise
ship. The excursion boat will rendezvous with the cruise ship in the arm
for you to reboard.

RG

Maybe next time. No smaller boats met up with us in Tracy Arm Fjord, but we did get pretty close to
the glacier. I was astonished how maneuverable the Disney Wonder was. Some of those shots will be
coming soon.

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:05:57 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I was astonished how maneuverable the Disney Wonder was.

===

Quad 1200 horsepower thrusters linked to a joystick control will do
that for you.

That's a great trip by the way, enjoy and take lots of excursions.
One of our favorites was a jet boat tour up the Chilkat River into the
eagle preserve. The heli ride from Juneau to the top of the
Mendenhall Glacier, and the float plane trip back into Misty Fjords
from Ketchikan are also very cool.

http://www.photosafaris.com/photogra...er-photo-tour/

RG RG is offline

wrote:

I was astonished how maneuverable the Disney Wonder was.

===

Quad 1200 horsepower thrusters linked to a joystick control will do
that for you.

That's a great trip by the way, enjoy and take lots of excursions.
One of our favorites was a jet boat tour up the Chilkat River into the
eagle preserve. The heli ride from Juneau to the top of the
Mendenhall Glacier, and the float plane trip back into Misty Fjords
from Ketchikan are also very cool.

http://www.photosafaris.com/photogra...er-photo-tour/

I've done two of those three. The float plane trip into Misty Fjords was
cool. We landed on a mountain lake and had lunch in the plane. The damn
door on the airplane kept opening up all on its own in flight. I thought it
added character and charm to the trip, but there was a woman on board who
wasn't amused, perhaps because she was seated next to the door. Did the
helo/Mendenhall thing. Walking around on the glacier was cool. I did a jet
boat tour up the Rogue River in Oregon. Probably similar to your trip up the
Chilkat. Our boat was just over 40 feet long and powered by three GM big
blocks, each bolted to a large pump. I had a hand-held GPS with me and
clocked him at 42mph WFO. And then he does a 360 spin out. Did that
multiple times. Huge fun.

I think to get the most out of any cruise, the ultimate success and lasting
memories will be created on the land/air excursions. The ship is cool, but
c'mon, get out and get a bit of a feel for the places you watch drifting by.

RG

wrote:

I was astonished how maneuverable the Disney Wonder was.

===

Quad 1200 horsepower thrusters linked to a joystick control will do
that for you.

That's a great trip by the way, enjoy and take lots of excursions.
One of our favorites was a jet boat tour up the Chilkat River into the
eagle preserve. The heli ride from Juneau to the top of the
Mendenhall Glacier, and the float plane trip back into Misty Fjords
from Ketchikan are also very cool.

http://www.photosafaris.com/photogra...er-photo-tour/

We've already done it. Next time we'll do it by camper and spend a lot more time up there.
Tim Tim is offline

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:51:18 AM UTC-5, John H wrote:
[...]

Excellent, John. Looks like a great time to me. I'm hoping you'll post more pics.

Glad you and your lovely betrothed had a wonderful outing.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I was astonished how maneuverable the Disney Wonder was.

===

Quad 1200 horsepower thrusters linked to a joystick control will do

that for you.

That's a great trip by the way, enjoy and take lots of excursions.

One of our favorites was a jet boat tour up the Chilkat River into the

eagle preserve. The heli ride from Juneau to the top of the

Mendenhall Glacier, and the float plane trip back into Misty Fjords

from Ketchikan are also very cool.

http://www.photosafaris.com/photogra...er-photo-tour/

Wayne, that's also on my 'one-of-these-days' list.

Anyone stayed at the Disney Resort in Vero Beach? Harry Krause General 26 April 23rd 07 06:48 AM
The Disney Magic PocoLoco General 26 November 1st 05 11:42 AM
FS: The perfect Alaska charter boat, in Seattle Baja Yachts & Villas Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 07:15 PM